blender-osm: OpenStreetMap and terrain for Blender

Blender is a free and open source 3D platform. It supports 3D modeling and rendering as well as many advanced features like animation, simulation, compositing, motion tracking, video editing and game creation.

This thread is to discuss the blender-osm for Blender. It provides one click download and import of OpenStreetMap and real world terrain data for Blender with global coverage. Two versions of the addon are available:

They are briefly described below.

blender-osm (premium)

In addition to the features of the base version, the premium one provides:

• Import of buildings from OpenStreetMap with default materials, tileable building textures and UV-mapping applied
  • Default materials and textures to mimic lit windows for a late evening setting
  • Import of forests and single trees as 3D objects
  • Options to use custom tileable building textures (e.g. from textures.com)
  • Satellite imagery and web maps projected on a terrain

Buy the addon at gumroad.com! By purchasing the addon you support the addon development. All customers will get the addon source code under GPL license! All default textures and materials supplied with addon are released under the CC0 (public license)!

The detailed documentation is available here.

blender-osm (the base version)

• blender-osm imports buildings from OpenStreetMap without any texture applied. Building height and number of floors are used to create the final scene. Composition into 3D parts for a building with the complex structure is also processed. A large number of roof shapes is supported. If a terrain is provided, buildings are placed on the terrain automatically.
  • blender-osm downloads and imports real world terrain data with resolution about 30 meter.
  • blender-osm imports GPX tracks.
  • River, lakes, forests, vegetation are imported as polygons. If a terrain is provided, they are projected on the terrain.
  • Imported roads, paths and railways have width. They are represented by Blender curves with a profile object. If a terrain is provided, roads are projected on the terrain.

Get the addon at gumroad.com! You might prefer to pay some price for the addon to support its development. However it is completely optional. The addon source code is available under GPL license!

The detailed documentation is available here.

Links and contacts

So what about a new page about Blender and useful Plugins and maybe some howtos in the OSM wiki?

There is no specific wiki page “Blender” so far …

Done

100 likes for the OSM importer for Blender!
https://github.com/vvoovv/blender-geo

I thank you all for using it!

The addon has been rewritten from scratch to support 3D elements of OSM to the fullest extent.

Further details are here: https://github.com/vvoovv/blender-osm

Take look at the snapshot in the top message of this thread. The imported scene of New York on the snapshot contains more than 100.000 buildings.

We are pleased to annouce the new release of the addon.

The addon now supports a number of roof shapes: flat, pyramidal, mono-pitched, dome, onion.

For further details please refer to github.com/vvoovv/blender-osm

The new release of the OpenStreetMap importer for Blender is out with the support of a large number of roof shapes shown on the image below: flat, gabled, hipped (for a quadrangle outline only), mono-pitched, half-hipped, round, pyramidal, gambrel, dome, onion and saltbox.

Get the addon from here.

Looks good! No nasty effects at complex buildings.
I consider to use your algorithm for my project, may I?

The addon is released under GPL license, since all addons for Blender must have GPL license.
Actually, you don’t need to ask my permission.

However, if you employ GPL code in your project, you have to distribute your project under GPL.

Oh, well, I consider OSM go as open source anyway (because it is JavaScript).
But you are right, I have also to express my self about the copyright. And that is GPL. I will write it to the wiki page.

And about the roof algorithms I also mend, if you may give me some hints if I have questions.

We are glad to announce the new release of blender-osm!

It features one click download and import of real world terrain data!
OpenStreetMap data are now also downloaded and imported with one click!

Get the addon from here.

Impressive!

Time to reveal some features of the premium version of the blender-osm addon. A real world woody landscape with lakes has been generated by the premium addon to be released later. It’s based on OpenStreetMap data. See the location of the virtual camera on the 2D map. All customers of the base version will get a discount for the premium one.

The whole Moscow (140 thousand buildings!) were imported from OpenStreetMap to Blender with the blender-osm addon.

Watch the video (16 seconds).

The addon is available at gumroad.com for $5.90.

The premium version of the blender-osm addon has been released!

Please see the first message in the thread for more information and screenshots.

blender-osm addon (base version) is availbale for fee now. Get it here.

You may prefer to pay some price for the addon to support its development. But it’s completely optional.

The source code of the blender-osm addon is back on Github:
https://github.com/vvoovv/blender-osm/tree/release

Unless you are a developer, please get the addon here.

See your GPX hiking tracks in Blender 3D with the blender-osm addon! Get the addon for free at gumroad.com.

Import the terrain and satellite imagery first. Then import GPX track.

Hey, just downloaded the premium version, and attempted to install in Blender version 2.83.3. It doesn’t seem to work though as it does not appear on the installed addons list, likewise absent osm tab n the main screen. Any suggestions?

great add-on you have written!
using it with blender 2.83

when loading GPX track…the track appears straight up out of the center in the z direction. does not matter whether I check/uncheck project onto terrain/georefencing

when loading OSM…I can only see 2D/3D maps when using the initial coordinates (Moscow!)

using any other coordinates, I cannot see anything (even after changing clip end, georeferencing, etc.)

any theories/suggestions?
thanks