Mapping Mountainbike Features

Funny thing, I was looking for that path just 3 months ago while in a weekend in the Galilee. Eventually I took another path along the northern ridge of the Kziv and visited “the man in the wall” instead.
It should be easy to ask users to only upload GPS data, not hand drawn one. We would still end up with hundreds more tracks.
I would go into editing in the coming weeks and try to use some of these.
BTW, is there a way to locate a GPX file by lat/long? or only by tags?
I guess for SeptAA’s data I can locate it first in GPSies.

You can browse the gpsies map, and wherever there’s a track, you’ll see a marker, where you can click and that would take you to the track’s page.
Once on the track page, you can switch to OSM, or OSM-Cycle, and easily see whether that track was already mapped.

Caveat: The marker is where the track starts.
So a track going from Metula to Eilat will only show in Metula, and nowhere along the way.
But you can hover on a marker and that would draw the track on the map qithout the need to go into the track’s page.

talkat.

That I know. I meant within the regular openstreetmap interface.

In Potlatch you can see the local gps tracks when you press “g”
In JOSM you can also download the local gps tracks.

talkat.

Nice,
I made my first edits today. Not that hard.
BTW, how do you get rid of horrible GPS tracks like this:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=31.8587&lon=34.9223&zoom=13

Told ya! :wink:

Great. May this be the 1st in many edits. :wink:

Some notes, referencing this area:

1. You didn’t add a name:en tag with the English name.

2. You didn’t connect Gefen to Tamar.
    It means that GPS devices couldn’t route to Gefen from Tamar.

3. If there’s a roundabout, it’s better to draw a roundabout (just the minimum number of points, like 4, and then click on “t”) and add the ways that connect to the roundabout.
    In this case, Zayit.
    That would make navigation more accurate.
    A gps would say: “from Tamar Take 2nd exit in roundabout to Gefen”

4. Since there’s a gps track of Teena between Erez and HaOren, then we can connect Zayit to HaTeena. (again, to make routing possible)
    Since I don’t know how Teena and Zayit go exactly, I drew them schematically, adding a “fixme” note.
    Hopefully, when someone goes through there, they would notice that the map doesn’t follow the roads exactly, so they’ll correct it.

Isn’t it nicer that way?.. :slight_smile:

I don’t see what you mean.
Can you post specific ways etc.?

talkat.

What I mean is when you try to edit Yaar Hameginim (Karmei Yosef) with potlatch, and turn the GPS tracks on, a bunch of nonsense straight lines clutter the east side of the forest. Can I get rid of those?
Also, I’d like to refine the edge of the forest, how can I add points to existing contours?

Thanks for all your help, you’ve been very kind

You can try shift+G, which would only show your traces.
See here the list of Potlatch keyboard shortcuts.

Select the way that you want to refine by clicking on it.
shift+LeftClick on the (already selected) way, between two points you want to refine. This will create a new point between them.
Click on the new point to select it, and move it to wherever you want.

talkat.

OK, so what do we do with the edge of the forest?
There’s no track to follow that goes all the way around it, and no satellite data at good enough resolution.

It doesn’t have to have an accuracy of centimeters.
You can miss a few tens of meters here and there.

If you can, (or know) then make that whatever needs to be inside the forest is inside,
and whatever needs to be outside of the forest - stays outside.

talkat.

Hi Talkat,

I made some extensive editing to the Karmey-Yosef area, this time using JOSM. When I tried to upload it states “conflicts”, i presume with your edits, and failed to load. How do I proceed?

Maybe you can upload in smaller chunks?
Like, 2-3 ways each time, and then leave the conflicted features last, and see if you can re-do them with fresh download from osm.

talkat.

You may look http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/Concepts/Conflict for some general info. In principle, you should be able to see each conflict and resolve it one-by-one.

dimka

I believe Landsat imagery (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Landsat) is superior to Yahoo for all of Israel except Jerusalem area.

dimka

The map still doesn’t load.
How do I upload it piece by piece?

Did you follow the instructions here?

talkat.

OK,

After a few runs of conflict resolution it worked.
I’ll upload more frequently in the future.

Thanks

For future reference, if a road doubles as the edge of something (say a forest), how can I save effort on tracing it twice?
Thx

It’s not advised to do that.
Even if the road is at the edge of the forest, there are a few centimeters between them.
Think of it as similar to sidewalks, which are not mapped for similar reasons.

Draw the road where it should be, and the forest close to the road, and try not to use any of the road’s nodes.

talkat.

This user has agreed that his 230+ tracks be imported into OSM. Hopefully he will post his future tracks by himself.

dimka