Routing website using Gosmore routing engine

Well, maybe YOURS proves to be a trendsetting application where others will follow soon :slight_smile:

Thanks for putting the last update information. But now I have another small request (or at least it looks small from this side): a button that will invert the route (change the destination with the start, and the other way around)

The reason for this is that sometimes I found some oneway streets that create a lot of problems and this feature will make things easier.

Hi

I have a suggestion for routing.
Google Map, Mappy, etc. cannot use the routing service with metro, tramway.

Since this type of data is in OSM (like in Paris, London, etc.), why not adding a “by public transport” category ?
This way, I can go from start to end

• by car
  • by foot
  • by bike
  • by foot + public transport

For example :
http://tile.openstreetmap.nl/~lambertus/routing-world/?flat=51.501107&flon=-0.124625&tlat=51.506931&tlon=-0.143121&v=foot&fast=1&layer=mapnik
It should be easier to take the tube, no ?

I think it would be a huge improvement for your routing tool.
What do you think ?

@ciprian: That’s a nice idea. Thanks.

@Michael: The types of routing transport is limited by the Gosmore routing engine which is not my development. Having public transport routing would be great, but requires timetables to be added to the database as well. I don’t think there is even any tagging standards for that yet, let alone that there is an usable amount of data in the database…

I should have a look in gosmore website…

Hum… I guess it is not so easy. It depends a lot of the type of public transport.
If you’re in a big city, with metro and trolleys every 2 minutes, you don’t need any timetable : you “just” need to count the number of stops and line changes to compare 2 different ways. (as we do for cars, we can say “a metro runs about 15km/h ans each stop means 2 minutes” + changing from one line to another takes an average of 10 minutes). I 'am aware this is a very rough thinking “from scratch” and must be deeply worked…

I think it is much more difficult for trains/boat, etc. because of the timetable issue

hum…I should look for routing discussion in osm wiki / forum to see if there are some talks about city public transport routing

Updates:

• Registered a domain for yours: http://www.yournavigation.org.
  • Use different icons for the ‘to’ and ‘from’ markers (from = green, to = red).
  • Changed ‘edit map’ button to ‘edit map’ link on the map.
  • Added route reverse button.
  • Cycleroute layer can now calculate routes without the need for the ‘to’ and ‘from’ to be near a cycleroute and gaps in cycleroutes won’t break navigation. Downside to this is that routing only has a preference to cycleroutes but also regularly takes shortcuts using non-cycleroutes. This behavior is tweakable though.
  • Route calculation now also covers the whole of the American continent.

Actually it’s much easier to have 500 bus stations/subway stations/boat boardings each with a destination and time table, than to make a custom “algorithm”. So if you have those timetables in a good format then I’m sure someone (graphserver) has done the routing part. Google Transit springs to mind as well.

Hi,

I am working on a gps tracking system at http://woophoo.com and have just integrated our mobile client with the route plannig of yournavigation.org. This is only an experiment now to see if osm data is applicable for route planning, so I don’t count on heavy traffic in the coming months. We plan to run our own route plan server in the future.

Thanks for the great service and please report us if we create problems!

put a “You can die if you use this” note somewhere…

That’s awesome :slight_smile:

As a note:

• I’m currently working on adding driving directions to the route results, this will change the KML document a bit. I’m not sure I can provide backwards compatibility. I’ll try to notify you before I switch to this new version.
  • Give me a poke if you want to experiment with hosting Gosmore yourself before that. I can provide the API php file and tips on howto use Gosmore.
  • There’s also an Italian website geared towards mountainbiking that is implementing the YOURS API, however I forgot the domain name…

I’ve added your project to the list of YOUS API users.

Thanks a lot!

I am crazy about driving directions! Our route planning feature is marked experimental now so incompatibility is not the end of the world, but I think addressing it early is a good idea. Maybe the version of the API can go into the url like /2/gosmore.php or ?ver=2 .

You can find me as krisztian.schaffer at google mail if you want to notify me about the changes.

Note that I plan to assemble a technologies/partners page on the woophoo site, of course with a link to YOURS.

Thank you again!

What is the best place to report issues about Gosmore: here on this forum?

or here

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/YOURS/weird_routes?

That depends on the type of issue that you have. If your route does not take the route that you’d expect then the ‘weird routes’ page could be a good place to post it, otherwise you could post it to the gosmore talk page in the wiki or in trac (applications → renderers → gosmore).

But if you’re more comfortable with the forum, then you can post it here.

Update: Searching street- and placenames containing non-Roman characters should be working now. I’ve fixed the urlencoding so that characters like ø, å and ß are encoded correctly.

i’d love to use it for our bike messenger application, but gosmore sometimess seems to spit out strange results:

http://www.yournavigation.org/gosmore.php?flat=51.332248&flon=12.344008&tlat=51.399809&tlon=12.217083&v=bicycle&fast=1&layer=mapnik
http://www.yournavigation.org/gosmore.php?flat=51.365337&flon=12.357857&tlat=51.321110&tlon=12.327906&v=bicycle&fast=1&layer=mapnik

they show a distance of 23317.324199121 km and have strange characters in the waypoints set, which annoys my xml parser.
don’t get me wrong, i’d love to charge our customers a 23317 km ride :wink:

Here is a copy of my PM response:

David Dean has been so kind to add support for the maxspeed tag in Gosmore. Routing results should become a bit more realistic with this change.

David also made a change that allows changes to the Gosmore routing definitions without the need to rebuild the .pak database files. This will speed-up testing different speed values for different kinds of transport on different kinds of roads a lot.

Last, David also changed Gosmore so that it can use the same .pak database file for different routing configurations (elemstyles). This will reduce the number of databases needed and therefore the amount of time before a planet dump is imported. For YourNavigation.org this could mean a reduction from 3-4 days to only 1-2 days.

Hi, I would like to join this routing engine development – improve the OpenLayers part little bit.

My questions are:

• Where can I get the sources? The svn from wiki [1] does not work.
  • What is the license of the project? Is it BSD allready?

Jachym

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/YOURS

Good points and welcome as a future contributor. I haven’t uploaded the source into SVN yet (was busy with a major overhaul of my Garmin maps project) but I should really do this very soon (this evening?). The license is BSD.

Basically there are two versions of YOURS, the one you see on http://yournavigation.org and a developement version (which is a mess atm). The latter one is meant to support route via’s and route directions.

Update: the source is now in SVN.

Ouch, I just discovered that the routing database hasn’t been updated since the end of February. New databases were created each week but the website kept looking at an old version. This is fixed now.

Hi Lambertus,

i would like to see if i can use your route-service on a small website i’m building (OpenLayers, OpenStreetMap).

At the moment it seems that yournavigation.org isn’t working. I receive an error:

Regards,
Steven