Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Sorry Skywoolf, I wasnā€™t suggesting that tiles be split any further - I think the splitting is done automatically based on map feature density?

I was suggesting that popular map requests be pre-compiled and mirrored to take load off the server. Lambertus is correct that some sets are available elsewhere for some countries and regions but not all. And many countries do not provide a mapsource-installer format.

However I totally understand and agree with Lambertusā€™ reply. This is indeed a unique service, the core issue is that itā€™s become too popular for the available resources.

Another idea might be to offload the maps to an alternative hosting provider once theyā€™re compiled, that way your own disk remains relatively clean.

Indeed, Iā€™m trying to create tiles with maximum tile area because the maps created by Mkgmap have (had? Donā€™t recall exactly from the top of my head.) problems routing over more then one tile edge. This might not be a problem in Asia where the data density is mostly not very high, but caused many problems in Western Europe. Also, but this is not an issue anymore, earlier versions of the tools to create the maps could handle only 255 tiles (there are about 800 now).

Fair point, but could partly be a chicken and egg problem. Alternatively I could just stop providing maps for Europe and North America.

Thanks. Limits have been hit before and each time a solution has expanded usability, functionality and allowed even more users, but now that the low hanging fruit has been eaten it just gets a bit more difficult to improve. Improvements should still be possible though, I like greencapsā€™ suggestion.

This suggestion is interesting. I reckon itā€™s susceptible to break-down and requires quite a bit of bookkeeping but it could move the limit a bit further. Pure hosting (without the CPU cycles for map generation) is cheap, at least in the USA and -like you- there should be some people who would contribute some spare space. Yes I like it, but as always, it will take time to develop.

http://www.openlayers.org ligt er uit.

Daarom doet de site van Lambertus het niet (op dit moment).

Ha haā€¦ dat heeft dan maar een half uurtje geduurd of zo. Nu alles weer ok.

There is a request backlog due to server problems yesterday, it might take a while for the server to catch up. So expect your maps to arrive a bit later then usual.

Hi,

Iā€™m trying to create a map of Germany, but when I select Germany from the menu it says I use to many tiles. Is there a way to get a complete map of Germany?

Thanks
Dennis.

Hi Lambertus,

I would like to thank you for this wonderful service that you have provided for us! More power to you and to the community. :sunglasses:

Cheers,
Rommel

Yes there is. If youā€™re just interested in a single very large (in mapping terms) country (E.g. Germany or USA) then you might want to download from one of the many other map providers.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Looking at the tiles that are selected there are quite a few that are completely outside Germany. Try de-selecting them.

There are quite a number of free file hosting services around where you can store the files for free and people can d/l for free, if they are prepared to wait 30-60 secs. Iā€™m not sure if you can automate the uploads, thoughā€¦

Lambertus,

the latest update of the map seems to be 26-06. Is there an issue with the updates? Hugo

Not sure if those services will be happy to accept around 150 GB every 48 hours from one IP address, but itā€™s an option to look into. Thanks.

Some planet dump problems and big internet connection problems at home (my ADSL connection dropped from 12 mbit to around 700 kbit down in two weeks) No way Iā€™m going to use that little bit for downloading the planet. Sorry, but updates will have to wait until the connection is repaired or the modem is replaced.

I have a question about using Open Street Map on my Garmin 450. I live by St. Louis, MO so I downloaded the sections for southern Illinois and much of Missouri over to Kansas.

So, if I want to route from my home in Illinois to an address in Kansas City, I go to select my first point (Route Planner - Create Rouse - Select First Point - Use Map) and I select ā€œUseā€ at the bottom of the screen as there is a way point pin on my home address. Then I go back and choose (Select Next Point - Addresses - Spell State/Province). When I select that and spell ā€œMissouriā€, a message comes up ā€œNo Results Found. Try Adjusting Search Parametersā€.

What am I doing wrong? Will OpenStreetMap allow me to put in actual street addresses and route me to them?

Thank you for your help!

For starters, I would leave the state blank, as it may or may not be mapped as such. Try putting in the street name and the city or suburb. I donā€™t normally create routes on my GPS, other than to pan and ā€˜Enterā€™ on a point on the map and choose ā€˜Gotoā€™. That should always work.

Lambertus,
I just stumbled across the Sticky that addresses this issue. Also, I want to thank you for the time you take to develop OSM and help others with questions. It is much appreciated by all!

Beddhist,
Thank you for the response. When I go to ā€œSpell State/Provinceā€ I spelled ā€œSpringfieldā€ (for Springfield, MO) and the same message came up - ā€œNo Results Found. Try Adjusting Search Parametersā€.

@ Lambertus, when you select Europe/United Kingdom there are some parts of the UK that have been left out, but there is also a part of Turkey in it.

Yep, similar problems in Austria, Belgium, France and (no doubt) others.

First of all: Thanks for running this great project! I use those maps always when Iā€™m out of Europe and they are very useful!

I have one suggestion regarding s the installer (Mapsource): Would it be possible to add distinct names (maybe entered by the user) to the installed map? Right now they show up as ā€œOSM World Routableā€, but Iā€™d like to have ā€œMexicoā€, ā€œWashington DCā€, ā€œMy Next Tripā€, ā€¦
This would allow me to have several installations in parallel (assuming the registry keys reflect those names ore are a generic unique key) and therefore reduce the number of my downloads / custom map generations.

Keep up the good work

Oliver

Great idea Oliver, I agree

A great idea, but difficult to achieve unless you have the downloading user name the map set prior to creation of the installer.

The installer creates all the registry settings, so Oliver would need to be prompted for the map series name (Mexico), the map name (12345678.IMG), and the FID on the website and since Oliver would need to keep a list of his mapnames and FIDs to avoid conflicts the download would be useless for anybody but Oliver.

Heā€™d probably be better off either compiling his own map sets, but he may be able to use MapSetToolKit to rename the sets he has.