Hi, we are TomTom - let's exchange ideas

In alle opzichten met je eens. Ik dacht alleen dat je verbaast was dat een commerciële partij OSM omarmt, terwijl dat al langer gebeurt.

https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2022/06/01/automatisering-maakt-500-werknemers-tomtom-overbodig-zuur-maar-onvermijdelijk-a4131198?itm_content=mijn-nieuws-voorpagina&itm_term=Technologie

Zou dit er iets mee te maken hebben?
https://www.tomtom.com/blog/maps/osm-roadrunner-instant-maps/

“ RoadRunner uses vast amounts of GPS trace data to completely automatically make a road network.”
Dat werkt dus alleen op drukke wegen waar je een overbepaald stelsel hebt, wel heel handig bij actuele fileinformatie.

Steve Coast (14-01-2022): “Today, RoadRunner also pulls in street names from OpenStreetMap.”

So why aren’t you on the Commercial OSM Software and Services list now, TomTom, as you should have been for the past four-five months?
And how can the founder of OpenStreetMap of all people let this happen?

Ik zie vooral een hoop stemmingmakerij en onderbuikgevoelens in dit draadje.

Het commercieel gebruik van OSM-data is expliciet toegestaan. Met volle intentie. Wel moet je je, net als bij niet-commercieel gebruik, aan de verschillende bepalingen houden. Ik heb zelf nog geen bepaling gevonden waar TomTom zich aantoonbaar niet aan houdt.
Mijn enige twijfelpuntje zit in de vraag welke data ze voor hun navigatieprogramma gebruiken.
De RoadRunner data is in te zien (met keurige attributie) en te downloaden. Alleen… de kwaliteit daarvan ziet er zo belabberd uit, dat ik me niet kan voorstellen dat ze die zelf als eindproduct gebruiken. En als ze nog een andere database hebben die ze buiten hun eigen intranet gebruiken waarin ze OSM-data combineren met eigen data, zullen ze die volgens mij beschikbaar moeten stellen en of ze dat graag doen is de vraag. Maar dan zijn we inmiddels ver verwijderd van de MapRoulette kwestie.
Iemand die wel een concreet voorbeeld heeft van een regel die wordt overtreden?

Ik zie het probleem niet, de data wordt toegevoegd aan OSM en is zeker geen data waar puur en alleen TomTom iets aan heeft.
Iedereen heeft een vrije keuze of hij zijn tijd daaraan besteedt of niet.
De vergelijking met schijn-zelfstandigen gaat mank. Die besteden tijd aan werkzaamheden uitsluitend voor dat bedrijf. Deze data is voor iedereen (inclusief zelfs de concurrenten van TomTom) te gebruiken. Als TomTom volgende week/maand/jaar of wanneer dan ook iets anders gaat doen, blijft die data gewoon beschikbaar.
Ik denk trouwens dat die 500 FTE ook nog wel wat anders zaten te doen dan OSM aan te passen.

Die vraag hebben ze al (correct) beantwoord: omdat ze geen OSM diensten aanbieden. Deze lijst bestaat uit bedrijven die andere bedrijven helpen bij het verwerken van OSM in hun product of op hun website. Bovendien is er voor niemand een verplichting om in deze lijst te gaan staan. Zie het als een prikbord, zoek je iemand die je gaat helpen met je geo-product waar je OSM in wil verwerken? Dan kan je hier misschien een linkje vinden. TomTom hoef je daarvoor niet te bellen. Zij gebruiken de data alleen zelf (bijv. die straatnamen die jij aanhaalt).

Dan heb ik blijkbaar de bedoeling en regels van die lijst niet goed begrepen, excuses voor mijn dan onterechte vraag.

Helaas zie ik weer megaschade door TomTom maproullete momenteel .
Ik heb al een gedeelte teruggedraaid en twee PB gestuurd met het verzoek om te stoppen met het omtaggen van tracks, serviceroad naar wandelpaden.
Kennelijk triggert de roulette als er een track of serviceroad halverwege een fietspad begint. Dat worden momenteel allemaal wandelpaden.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Gan_toon/history#map=9/52.2101/5.5316

en de discussie https://resultmaps.neis-one.org/osm-discussion-comments?uid=15204683

Zoiets viel me hier ook op.

Of iets een highway=service of een highway=track met tracktype=grade1 hangt met name van het gebruik af. Dus dat de toegang tot de boerderij een service is kan kloppen (dat is ook waar je de melkvrachtwagen langs wil sturen zeg maar); de boer heeft daar zijn naambordje ook staan en geen hek (maar wel een bordje ‘eigen weg’ zo te zien). Maar dat andere stuk (en ook dat stuk wat nog track is gebleven) is een achterafpad voor agrarisch werk, met een hek wat open en dicht kan zijn. Je hoort er niet over gerouteerd te worden tenzij er helemaal niks anders is.

Same here… https://resultmaps.neis-one.org/osm-discussion-comments?uid=16408483

Ook lijkt het alsof tracks in natuurgebieden zonder verkeer of access=no (die vanzelfsprekend geen “heat” afgeven wegens geen autoverkeer) naar path omgebouwd worden

De maproulette zet de TomTommapper op het verkeerde been… want hoe kan een landbouwtrack of toegangsweg starten vanaf een fietspad. Dat is in de ogen van de maproulette altijd een path of footway. Wij weten dat dit niet zo is.

Resultaat is dat er nu veel wegen nu een verkeerde wegklasse krijgen.
Ik heb een berichtje naar TomTom gestuurd

Ah ja, de fietspaden-met-autotoegang-voor-bewoners. :slight_smile:

Ja, dat ziet er raar uit in Carto, maar het klopt volledig. Als er nou tientallen auto’s per dag over rijden zou je kunnen denken aan een highway=service met fietspadbebording, maar hier is dat enkel Napoleon als die voor een boodschap even uit ballingschap komt.

All,

I see your comments, here and in the changesets, and I have good inputs from Frederik Ramm in the UK. **I am taking action.
Please note that Frederik and DWG have rightly asked us to stop this type of edit and perform an analysis, as well as to propose a plan for future action. And, he is asking us to fix the edits. Please give me enough time to be thoughtful and rigorous in the analysis so that I can come back to you with a thoroughly comprehensive approach. And, please allow us time to correct the edits. Our goal is always to improve the map and abide by rules, and we will do everything necessary to answer all of your concerns. My aim is to make all corrections and provide a follow-up analysis by the end of the day on Friday (tomorrow.)

Here is what Frederik asked me for re: the UK:

Is this suitable for you, as well? If so, we can prepare one that addresses the general concerns, as well as NL specific concerns.

Our goal is to be a helpful and trusted editor, and your feedback is essential to our improvement. Thank you for sharing it.

Courtney

Thanks Courtney, we will await your analysis.

Your colleague MarjanVan promised improvements with regards to these maproulette challenges as well, but it seems not much has come of that given this recent spate of misguided editing. It’s a shame that we keep getting back to the point where we must guide mappers acting on TomTom’s sometimes flawed data analyses, and spend time fixing errors introduced. It doesn’t seem necessary, and it can be prevented by coming to the community before launching another maproulette challenge.

By the way, do you outrank MarjanVan or are you subordinate to her in the company? What are your roles exactly, just community managers or more? It’s all a bit vague from our vantage point, and whenever we press for answers about specifics regarding TomTom’s source data for their analyses (like your heatmap tool), we get evasive answers. This does unfortunately seem to have soured some of our community’s mappers attitudes towards cooperation with TomTom — understandably, I might add — and that may be hard to redress.

You have had feedback about a month ago: https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/122888545
How did you improve based on that?

Please take my following observations into consideration

• Dutch-specific imagery isn’t used (AHN, BGT, PDOK Quick Ortho, traffic sign map)

• Imagery being used doesn’t seem to be analysed. For example, a track is converted to a path where it is clearly visible that motor vehicles are present or have driven

• Dutch-specific (traffic) regulations and the philosophy behind the design of our public space

• Apparently the history of objects hasn’t been investigated

• Consequently, the previous editor(s) aren’t consulted

• As a consequence, no proper feedback loop with progressive learning takes place

• The possibility of false positives on your todo-list seems not to be taken into account

• Several editors do edits all over the world. Suggestion is limiting one’s activity to a specific region where he or she is able to gain specific knowledge about local standards, quirks and curiosities

I can’t help but get the impression that you have outsourced work to a densely populated developing country in Asia where quantity is more rewarded than quality. Believe me, I’ve been sent there myself to manage projects and this morning I got a very similiar feeling of desparation.

I am a OSM-volunteer, was busy inspecting a huge amount of TomTom edits this morning and it felt like work (I am a professional quality assurance engineer as well). The only difference is I didn’t send an invoice for my work.

Gezien recentere edits met soortgelijke fouten levert dat niets op. Ze blijven komen …
En het antwoord van courtiney geeft me ook niet veel vertrouwen.

Er wordt door deze mapper nu wel e.e.a. verbeterd

https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/melody_Tej/history#map=3/32.42/-34.62

Hi, again,

A few basics, to be followed by specific plan of action tomorrow, or, latest, Monday (I need to take enough time to ensure this doesn’t happen again.)

1. Marjan reports to me. Please, out of consideration for another human being, I ask that you refrain from attributing harsh motives or behaviors to her. All criticism and frustration is valid. All feedback is welcome. But there are comments in this forum over time that are not respectful to Marjan as a person. Let’s keep community values in mind for all persons.

2. I affirm your frustration and your concerns. In particular I affirm that turnaround time on solutions has been slow. We are not, actually, a very large, outsourced, corporate team, and we do have ordinary human limitations. This doesn’t excuse the inconvenience or issues, but it is hopefully useful context. I take every bit of feedback that we got today seriously and will make sure that the sincere, hardworking group of people with whom I work take the feedback and turn it into short term and long term solutions.

3. Everyone who works on this team is committed to mapmaking as both an art and a science and does this work for the joy of it. Please give us time to learn and grow as I actually believe we have a very great deal in common. I will be in touch as soon as I can with specific answers and actions.

A quick additional question: re “heatmap tool.” Can you tell me what you mean? Do you mean MapMetrics? I want to get more information for you in any way that is relevant and useful, but I am not actually sure to what you refer here?