New Quality Challenges

Hi,

*I hope it’s okay for me to continue in English. For those who prefer Swedish, I have added a translation below.
After using public instances of OSM QC tools such as Atlas and Osmose in addition to internal validation, we have identified potential map quality issues that are now available in the form of six challenges grouped in this MapRoulette project:

https://maproulette.org/browse/projects/48035/

If you would like additional details on the individual challenges or more information about how we check the quality of our data, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Have fun improving the map, one challenge at a time!

Regards,
Syed

Här är den svenska översättningen av ovanstående meddelande som skapats med hjälp av DeepL Translator:

Hej,

Efter att ha använt offentliga instanser av OSM QC-verktyg som Atlas och Osmose samt intern validering har vi identifierat potentiella kartkvalitetsproblem som nu finns tillgängliga i form av sex utmaningar som grupperas i detta MapRoulette-projekt:

https://maproulette.org/browse/projects/48035/

Om du vill ha ytterligare detaljer om de enskilda utmaningarna eller mer information om hur vi kontrollerar kvaliteten på våra data, tveka inte att kontakta oss.

Ha kul med att förbättra kartan, en utmaning i taget!

Hälsningar,
Syed

the link is broken

It should work now, @snusmumriken.

I have looked at the tasks, and I’m not happy to see some of these marked as “Impossible angle in a highway”. For example on E 18 at Västerås.

Yes, if you look at the roads, they have sharp angles at the connection between the main and link road. But these are not errors!

But the highway and link roads are mapped according to https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:lanes
As the examples on the page shows.

Thanks for commenting on the ‘Impossible Angle in a Highway’ challenge. Our team is analyzing the tasks in question. I will keep you posted on the progress.

An analysis of the ‘Impossible Angle in a Highway’ challenge found that all tasks require edits to correct sharp angles. That said, please feel free to inform us by sharing the task’s URL when you encounter a task about a feature that is already accurate. Although we do our best in carefully identifying errors, your feedback will help us get better at it. Verify the validity of the task by zooming in and getting a closer look if you have to. As an example, I am adding the image of a roundabout from the challenge:

I have not much to say about roundabouts. I have no problems with them.

My concern is your opinion of “impossible angels” between main and link roads.

The osm-wiki don’t state any value on the bends. How sharp och shallow they can or should be. It’s an decision you make yourself. It’s depending on how you map the main road tags. Number of lanes (one extra for the link road lane) and turn:lanes info for the link road. This type of the mapping is present everywhere in osm. Nothing I have invented.

I understand and appreciate your concern, but the tasks in the ‘Impossible Angle in a Highway’ challenge do not concern sharp angles on intersections between main and link roads. Rather, we have identified highway locations where the geometry is unrealistically sharp. Here is another example:

The geometry should look more like the orange line - smooth with no angles, and according to the imagery layer. Hope this clears things up. Happy editing!

You say: “The geometry should look more like the orange line”

This is a personal opinion.

Not a rule you find in the wiki.

The wiki says nothing about how sharp or shallow a bend may be (in degrees).

You are right. My previous post should have been more clear about our process of listing sharp angles as **potential **errors. Interested editors can then take a look at these locations and correct the geometry **if **imagery indicates that there is indeed an issue. They should of course not change anything if the map is according to reality; in other words, if the geometry is already in line with imagery.

Thanks for your clarifying. Even so it all depends on what an editor personally believes about a bend. Ok or not.
But this not different about many decisions editors do in the osm mapping.

Hello again,

In addition to the challenges shared with you on 21 April, we have added a new set of tasks related to non-closed polygons:
https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/27530

Please feel free to join us as we work on this quality-based challenge.

Regards,
Syed