You are not logged in.

Announcement

*** NOTICE: By 30th of September 2022 the forum.openstreetmap.org will be retired, please request a category for your community in the new ones as soon as possible using this process, which will allow you to propose your community moderators. We expect the migration of data will be finished by that date, you can follow its progress here.***

#1 2019-11-29 08:51:58

siloam
Member
Registered: 2019-11-29
Posts: 5

Android map server

Hello everyone,
Do exist any map/tile SERVERS that work on Android? I need a map server that serve tiles locally on Android machine.
I appreciate any help. We will have the national census in Poland and we are in need to provide offline maps in our PWA app for CAPI purposes.

Best regards,
Marek Marczak
Statistics Poland

Last edited by siloam (2020-07-23 09:16:26)

Offline

#2 2019-11-29 17:17:20

stephan75
Member
Registered: 2008-05-28
Posts: 2,917

Re: Android map server

I never heard from a map server that runs on android ...

Why is it a requirement to have that map server on an android device?

Why don't you use map servers on any capable Linux or Windows systems, and have "only" client apps on the android devices?

Offline

#3 2019-11-29 17:20:35

Viajero Perdido
Member
Registered: 2016-10-13
Posts: 194

Re: Android map server

Hello.  I don't know about any *tile server* software, but you might want to look at vector maps in MapsForge format instead.  A vector map for all of Poland from https://www.openandromaps.org/en/downloads/europe weighs in at just under 1GB (likely more when uncompressed), and the MapsForge library for displaying the maps is open source.  With this, you wouldn't need a server because the tiles would be generated on-the-fly in the Android device.

A number of existing Android apps already use these maps.  Hopefully, the precompiled vector map will include all the elements you need for your project.  Another source is: http://download.mapsforge.org/maps/v5/europe/.  The latter omits contour lines which you probably don't need; the former includes them.

Last edited by Viajero Perdido (2019-11-29 17:29:34)

Offline

#4 2019-11-29 20:17:00

siloam
Member
Registered: 2019-11-29
Posts: 5

Re: Android map server

stephan75 wrote:

I never heard from a map server that runs on android ...

Why is it a requirement to have that map server on an android device?

Why don't you use map servers on any capable Linux or Windows systems, and have "only" client apps on the android devices?

Our PWA app is supposed to run well in online and offline mode. Internet connection is not always awailable - especially in countryside. We cannot assume that polsters will have internet access all the time.

Viajero Perdido wrote:

Hello.  I don't know about any *tile server* software, but you might want to look at vector maps in MapsForge format instead.  A vector map for all of Poland from https://www.openandromaps.org/en/downloads/europe weighs in at just under 1GB (likely more when uncompressed), and the MapsForge library for displaying the maps is open source.  With this, you wouldn't need a server because the tiles would be generated on-the-fly in the Android device.

A number of existing Android apps already use these maps.  Hopefully, the precompiled vector map will include all the elements you need for your project.  Another source is: http://download.mapsforge.org/maps/v5/europe/.  The latter omits contour lines which you probably don't need; the former includes them.

I am aware of it. I know about other formats as well (MBTiles, RMap... etc). The problem is we have PWA app and we need to integrate maps into the app in CAPI mode (offline maps for polsters). The library you've mentioned provide maps for Android native apps - not for PWAs. I've already tried to save tiles in Indexeddb. Unfortunately Indexeddb is not very fast and has size limitations. I think we have two options - to serve maps locally just for the PWA (it has wms client built with leaflet.js) or rewrite the app (using i.e NativeScript).

Offline

#5 2019-11-29 22:08:00

Tordanik
Moderator
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-06-17
Posts: 2,836
Website

Re: Android map server

Serving raster images as tiles is straightforward: Something like tile.openstreetmap.org is just a simple "zoom/tileX/tileY.png" directory structure that can be served by any web server, and leaflet.js works well with it.

Now, rendering the tiles on the Android device itself is probably more work. So the feasability of the above might depend on if you can ship the finished tiles with your software (which is only plausible for larger areas if you don't need too many zoom levels).


OSM in 3D: OSM2World

Offline

#6 2019-12-17 12:28:45

SomeoneElse
Member
Registered: 2010-10-13
Posts: 1,601

Re: Android map server

Tordanik wrote:

Serving raster images as tiles is straightforward: Something like tile.openstreetmap.org is just a simple "zoom/tileX/tileY.png" directory structure that can be served by any web server, and leaflet.js works well with it.

Now, rendering the tiles on the Android device itself is probably more work. So the feasability of the above might depend on if you can ship the finished tiles with your software (which is only plausible for larger areas if you don't need too many zoom levels).

Storing tiles and using something like leaflet.js on-device is quite feasible - I've actually worked on a couple of commercial things that did that (if I remember correctly one using Leaflet, one using OsmDroid).  I wrote a quick and dirty example of that sort of thing at https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/OSMembedded a good few years ago.  As suggested, there will be all sorts of issues if you want high zoom levels (one I remember was running out of inodes for files, but that wasn't on Android).

However, in 2019 it's surely not the best option; as Viajero Perdido suggested some sort of vector map is surely a better option.

Offline

#7 2019-12-17 18:33:18

kocio
Administrator
From: Warszawa
Registered: 2013-09-04
Posts: 3,566
Website

Re: Android map server

Hi,

I guess it's best to contact with OpenStreetMap Polska:

http://openstreetmap.org.pl/kontakt/

Current president was responsible for OSM deployment in Polish State Fire Service and there are more active people trying to promote OSM. This sounds like a very interesting case to me.

You can also talk with Polish community on this subforum:

https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewforum.php?id=23

Offline

#8 2019-12-18 00:06:45

jendrusk
Member
From: Bialsko-Biała
Registered: 2012-08-07
Posts: 300

Re: Android map server

@siloam
Following @kocio - write or call me please. Polish OSM Association is at your service - our goal is to help everyone who want to create or use OSM data... specially in Poland.
You can find my number at our website (http://openstreetmap.org.pl/stowarzyszenie/wladze/)

I have some experience in this matter and I'll be happy to help you 

Looking forward to hear from you.

Andrzej

Offline

#9 2020-04-18 05:23:23

MehwishYati
New Member
Registered: 2020-04-18
Posts: 2

Re: Android map server

Get the mobile app's source code for Android and iOS to view the vector tiles installed with OpenStreetMap in MBTiles. I even work on your GPS position and offline. The OpenMapTiles team has launched this project for the creation of your project!

Seek to access a street plan for the entire world, country or city of your choosing, offline map features. You can also incorporate and exchange the map data with your query!

In your commercial products or in any other projects, the source code or its parts may be used. Code is provided for Android and iOS in GitHub format (equivalent to the account required) to access a private repository. The code itself or its sections can not be exchanged with third parties.

The mapping component's source code is derived from Mapbox SDKs with open source support for iOS and Android. The software is written in the programming language of the native platform (Java on Linux, Swift on iOS).

Offline

#10 2021-09-07 08:22:55

Nobita81
New Member
Registered: 2021-09-07
Posts: 1
Website

Re: Android map server

if you want a navigation app, then consider using OsmAnd+ app. it also provides offline maps that you can download for offline use.

Offline

#11 2021-12-29 21:42:32

kocio
Administrator
From: Warszawa
Registered: 2013-09-04
Posts: 3,566
Website

Re: Android map server

Serie Turche wrote:

Thanks for comenting here Multiple companies providing these types of services in poland. It's not a difficult task.

Repeating original question looks suspisious, probably fake accounts getting ready to include spam links. The answer for the original post are already there.

Offline

#12 2021-12-29 21:48:34

SomeoneElse
Member
Registered: 2010-10-13
Posts: 1,601

Re: Android map server

kocio wrote:

Repeating original question looks suspisious, probably fake accounts getting ready to include spam links. The answer for the original post are already there.

Yes - a spam link from a full stop.  Reported.

Offline

#13 2021-12-29 22:13:02

kocio
Administrator
From: Warszawa
Registered: 2013-09-04
Posts: 3,566
Website

Re: Android map server

Thanks for spotting this... I have also found more similar accounts above with spam "WWW" link and banned them too.

Does anybody know a tool for fighting hidden spam links, so we could automate it a bit?

Offline

#14 2021-12-29 23:49:35

SomeoneElse
Member
Registered: 2010-10-13
Posts: 1,601

Re: Android map server

kocio wrote:

Does anybody know a tool for fighting hidden spam links, so we could automate it a bit?

Automated, no (I just tabbed clicked in the post and pressed "tab" to go through the links).  Allegedly Discourse (planned at some point to replace a number of OSM forums) is better at it than the forum software here, but there are some technical blockers currently there (I don't have a better active link than https://osmus.slack.com/archives/C02804ANBC6 for that I'm afraid - go to https://slack.openstreetmap.us/ first to sign up I think).

I guess you could just "wget" or "curl" pages by/involving new users and grep them for dodgy links.  That'd catch the obvious stuff only - there are lots of ways that you can obfuscate URLs.  That suggestion is based on me knowing absolutely nothing about the forum software though - other people will have more idea.

Offline

#15 2022-01-20 14:35:31

Sandal man
Member
From: Benissa
Registered: 2016-09-23
Posts: 313

Re: Android map server

OsmAnd  is very complicated and you have to pay, if you want to download more than 5 maps (or renew them)
I'm using since a week Organic maps, its free, very simple but gives you all the things you want.
https://organicmaps.app/


Passionate hiker on the Costa Blanca, Spain.

Offline

#16 2022-09-29 08:45:21

Pedja
Member
From: Užice, Serbia
Registered: 2012-03-22
Posts: 588
Website

Re: Android map server

Mobile Tile Server

Mobile Tile Server is a local HTTP server, serving Map Tiles from the device storage. When the server is running you can access the map tiles from different mapping applications. The application provides access to two types of tilesets:

    Map Tiles stored in directories - Slippy Maps
    Map Tiles stored in MBTiles files - MBTiles files


https://github.com/bojko108/mobile-tile-server

Online

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB