Hi, we are TomTom - let's exchange ideas

From my experience in Poland I can’t fault TomTom cooperation-wise. They were always responsive and wanted to do due diligence.
But it is quite concerning we still don’t know what their ultimate goal is. The mouths are suspiciously shut.

They own most of their own stocks (almost 50%) and they are a competitor to Google (but also to OSM). Perhaps someone can tell the rest of the story.

+1

+1

I fail to see the relevance in this and the need to adress anything there. MarjanVan started the discussion here, so I stay.

Maybe you should have a look at this: https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=73739 The discussion speaks for itself. Starting a maproulette isn’t as harmless as it sounds.

According to Steve this is important for him:

1. It must look great (display quality)
  2. It must have great routing (data quality)
  3. It must be searchable for what you want (geocoding quality)

For routing he probably means MV-routing, that’s where they make their money. Not outdoor navigation.
I’m all for data quality, but routing is just a (tiny) part of that.

P.S. Too bad he removed the copyright notices on the OSM maps in his article.

Without local knowledge remote mappers are likely to mess up highway classification more.” seems to be the main concern in that other topic. I don’t see how that could do any harm in this case. It’s just a bit of simple quality assurance, not a missing roads challenge.

Zo begint doorgaans een salami-tactiek.
Het begin is onschuldig en onderschrijft zogenaamd de uitgangs principes van OSM.
Maar waar eindigt het ?
Bovendien tellen de slechte ervaringen met onervaren gebruikers van deze “speeltjes” wel degelijk een rol.

Wat te denken van een brug naar een boerenerf met 12 onzinnige tags, zoals maxheight, bus=no, etc etc.
Moet heel NL vol komen te staan met lane_markings=no ?

We hebben meerdere goede mappers die uitstekend in staat zijn om queries te bouwen en fouten op te sporen.
Daar hebben we geen Maproulette challenge voor nodig, die slechts random wordt gebruikt en dus nooit een compleet beeld geeft.

Het lijkt me belangrijk om een onderscheid te maken tussen enerzijds “mappen in NL (en omgeving)” en anderszijds “mogelijke belangenconflicten tussen OSM en commerciële bedrijven/organisaties”. Het ene hoort hier thuis, en hoort voor mijn part in het Nederlands; de andere discussie kan in het Engels maar moet wel op een universelere plaats gebeuren.

Voor een volledige discussie zou er geen onderscheid tussen commercieel en niet-commercieel moeten worden gemaakt.

Geim

Maar waarom moet dat kleine deel dan prominent op de basis (database) kaart zichtbaar zijn ?

Hi everyone,

I’m also providing a Dutch version of this message below, since I see that some of you prefer to communicate in Dutch.

Thanks for sharing some more thoughts.

We understand your worries about corporate editing. We recognize your commitment to your standards and guidelines and respect them. As fellow mapmakers we want to help improve the map, which we’ve already successfully done with other communities (for instance the Polish community, as RicoElectrico mentions).

We’d love to talk about either of the projects we proposed:

We could also support you in leveraging MapMetrics to help you with some of your own projects. It is the first release to OSM from Steve Coast’s Innovation team within TomTom, and we are excited about its potential.

We’re also interested to hear if you have any other ideas. We’re excited to combine our strengths and map together.

Hallo iedereen

Bedankt om deze bijkomende opmerkingen met ons te delen.

We begrijpen jullie bezorgdheden omtrent edits door bedrijven. We erkennen dat jullie bepaalde standaarden en richtlijnen volgen en willen die ook respecteren. Net als jullie zijn we kaartenmakers, en in die hoedanigheid willen we samen met jullie de kaart nog beter maken. We hadden al succesvolle samenwerkingen met andere communities, bijvoorbeeld de Poolse, zoals RicoElectrico vermeldde.

We zouden het graag met jullie hebben over de projecten die we voorstelden:

We kunnen jullie ook helpen gebruikmaken van MapMetrics ter ondersteuning van jullie eigen projecten. Het is de eerste release naar OSM van Steve Coasts Innovation-team binnen TomTom, en we zijn enthousiast over het potentieel van deze tool.

Als jullie andere ideeën hebben, horen we dat graag. We zouden het fijn vinden om onze krachten te bundelen en samen aan de kaart te werken.

Marjan

Sadly, there is no response on the mail.

Mapmetrics Nederland

Knowing places that are correct drawn in with the newest data, mostly of the Government, like BGT omtrekgericht, every street is checked, access tagged according to the traffic_sign, and still finding yellow, orange and red tiles on the map.
Okay, some development, new house blocks, one temporally closed street.

There are much much false positive.
Looking at a colored tile, how to find, what’s wrong.
Looking for “the needle in the haystack”, because someone tells, there could be a needle.
A colored tile is often a whole neighbourhood. Lot of cut roads to check.
Straight roads, like the road on the Markerwaarddijk between Enkhuizen and Lelystad,
mostly red, orange, yellow tiles, must everyone look there, the next one looks again, what is wrong?

Because of this.
The use of this tool is time consuming. If you want to find a spot to edit.
And does not give the effect it should give.

Download, not usable data, data set to big for local OSM use. 1.9 GB
Inside .csv is no extra hints, where to look.
All these data sets, we only need the latest.

In the base, it is a good idea, but it is to vague, to find in seconds, what the problem is.

A lot of Mapmetrics false positives can be found along railroads, and also along shipping/ferry routes.
These really need to be addressed first before this starts to become useful.

As for the Maproulette challenges: I’m not interested myself, but that’s because I tend(ed) to map things I encounter myself, and I mostly do mapping for the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team. The Tasking Manager they’ve set up (tasks.hotosm.org) could be a good approach to handling the Mapmetrics squares.

MarjanVan, could I in return for my feedback get a response to my previous post with remarks and a question: https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=844385#p844385 ? Much appreciated, thanks.

I drew the same conclusion after inspection of mapmetrics

I don’t see a problem with the first challenge and encourage challenges that don’t require local knowledge and are easy to fix.
For the second challenge the text doesn’t match the actual challenge. There are a lot of not-Tesla superchargers.
And the description reads “(there is no space between value and units).” whilst the challenge is set correctly to suggest a space, which is indeed the standard within OsM.

There are tiles from MapMetrics in Fryslân that colour red but have all the roads correctly mapped since the AND import and there aren’t even any potential tracks visible.
So sorry but to be quite blunt for The Netherlands MapMetrics in its current state is completely useless and is filled with false positives.

Marjan, als je het zo belangrijk vindt om de charging station-tags te fixen, waarom doe je dat dan niet?

Ik denk dat dat is omdat niemand echt ingaat op haar vraag maar er opeens een hele metadiscussie over TomTom ontstaat.

IMHO is het een vrij simpele fix die als een automatische edit gedaan kan worden. Doen. Maar verwacht wel dat je dit moet herhalen want dit is gewoon iets wat niet altijd goed getagd wordt.

As long as large(r) projects are shared within the community I don’t think it matters whether a party is commercial or not.
Great that TomTom decides to use Openstreetmap data and that they run an extra check on the quality of the data.

The two aforementioned projects don’t seem to hurt; I guess many people run similar fixes on for instance opening hours or phone numbers. So rewriting the kW into the correct form would be fine.
And I’m not particularly a Maproulette connoisseur but I know it gets a lot op people going.

I’d say: thanks for notifying and please let us know when there are new projects ahead!

Inderdaad, goed samengevat.
Ik sta hierachter.

Mijn reactie is mijn antwoord op haar vraag:

Ik beschouw Marjan als een van onze mappers. Als ze bepaalde dingen belangrijk vindt dan corrigeert ze die maar.
Uiteraard moet 22kw 22 kW zijn.