Why o why series..

landuse=grass overlapping landuse=residential (why?)… It reminds me some debate in Germany (I believe so, not the US, but surely an European country) from mid-2010s whether mapping private swimming pools built just next to houses is appropriate. I think mapping that lawn somehow joins this issue…

Speaking of overlapping landuses… the gigantic landuse=residential way encircling Kota Bharu (and somehow engulfs Kubang Kerian and any nearby areas) really grinds my gears. Retail areas? Military areas? Industrial areas? Golf courses? Governmental office complexes? Educational institutions? Why not overlap those with residential area…

That’s what happen when people try to ‘paint’ the map too much to make it look pretty. And also partly due to something else :wink: :smiley:

hmmm…

In 500 meters, the main road has been chopped to no less than 3 segments for that lane guidance thingy. This is what happens when you fail to grasp why that lane guidance things was initially intended for - motorways guidance so that you don’t miss the complex-close-together interchange while driving.

Technically it is true, but doesn’t mean you should do it because it would turn everything into a big, convoluted mess. Just like a T junction, you don’t have to put lane guidance to show that you can only turn left or right, it is just obvious to anybody who drives with a valid driving license.

pecoh_pale.gif

I really don’t get why some (especially coming from Organised Mapping Teams) would rather insist this is a physical barrier (no it’s not). Cat and mouse chase again and again. Removed this, because it’s blatantly mapping for the renderer, but it will be reinstated in a few days’ time.

I don’t have problems with actual road dividers (picture is actually taken in Perak), but brazen claims purported with reference from KartaView/Mapillary, is another level.

Seriously, I’m not making things up.

Armchair mapping with aerial imagery. I am sure that I mixed up some lines on the ground with actual physical barriers in some places…

Well, I messed up real bad in some places many years ago, even supposedly coming from ground truth (note to self: extrapolation can get so wrong). But someone from the fruit team (and previously another paid mappers) made edits based on KartaView, insisted that’s the “correct way” of mapping it. I just, I can’t, ugh…

They are going bananas! :laughing:

more info is better than no info. :smiley:

not sure where is this area, but if there’s differences like number of lanes,
then, there’s no choice but to split the road to dual carriageway even though there’s no physical barrier/divider

That picture is from Luxembourg. Splitting into two separated ways will open a can of worms e.g. mapping non-existent turn restrictions.

No. lanes=3, lanes:forward=1, lanes:backward=2 etc. is possible, and further differentiation when one of the lanes is for turning left/right or for straight on only and what ever; and I am sure there are also tags for the turn-left-lane for bicycles in that photo from Luxemburg (I do not know all those details, I usually do not indulge such detailed mapping).

I didn’t know that.
Thanks for clarifying

I admit my external GPS receiver, hooked up to my phone via Bluetooth, is not the best gear around (all hail King RTK) to collect GPS tracks, but this really takes the cake.

That’s very likely my GPS track; if it’s not from early March 2020, then it could be from December 2019 or earlier. If anything, I would rather believe these tracks than, let’s say, this brilliant edits from those who has never ever stepped on this soil.

Pffftttt “ground truth survey”, you say? Down the drain it went. “Up yours, we got paid!”

sama je… dari india ke, syarikat termasyhur ke. :smiley:

What on earth is happening? Spamming restriction relations? :expressionless:

Waze-style mapping i.e. every first, branched and last node in a way must apparently be tagged with turn restrictions (but doesn’t apply AFAIK in any OSM-based navigation apps).

Beyond the crappy turn restrictions, is the main actually correct?

• physical barrier between carriage ways?
  • “Thean Teik Road”: “th” is quite unusual in Malay (but could be some foreign language)

Nope, the main is also incorrectly divided. The road name part is just Penang doing penang (pening?) things - can’t go into political stuff here. Also, the transliteration gang is pretty adamant about adding their ‘language’ to every road possible even though it’s posted nowhere. :stuck_out_tongue: