Question about Ipoh highway modeling

Hi everyone,

Andrew from Apple again. The Apple Data Team has noticed some junction modeling in the city of Ipoh we wanted to ask about. There is one mapper in particular, DFFYou, who has a habit of modeling junctions with peculiar highway_links and turn restrictions.

Some examples which highlight the issue are the intersection and turn restrictions along Jalan Bercham. These junctions have unnecessary links according to the Highway Link Wiki page, as there is no channelization visible in aerial imagery. The turn restrictions which exist here, like this no_straight_on for example, are limiting vehicles from traveling straight or turning right. These maneuvers do not seem restricted according to this KartaView trace. Our team has attempted to contact this user in English and Malay, but have not received a response, and our edits to resolve these issues have been undone. Is anyone familiar with the highway data in Ipoh and/or this user? It looks like other mappers have also made comments to them and they have not responded, and DWG recently blocked them for not responding.

Another example which caught our attention is the access=private tag on this short section of Jalan Jelapang. We reached out to the user, and after receiving no response, made some edits based on publicly available ground-level imagery. However, our edit was eventually undone again. Does anyone here know why this highway might have restricted access?

Thank you all for your insight,

Andrew

Why is the highway separated?
Why is it primary and not secondary? I mean which big cities (as per definition of primary) that it connects to?

So many questions. sometimes when it is so obvious that the mapping is incorrect (especially with photo proof), it is just better to rectify it and be done with it. Just saying.:smiley:

I have seen some bad editing since 2020, someone separated roads for both directions, even for some residential roads, and added unnecessary links in junctions (such as https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/4.58654/101.07984)). And there are some useless turning restrictions such as this (https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/10254056#map=17/4.59600/101.06462) which is turning back to the road on the junction and I think it is not necessary.
Someone also removed parking aisle for no reason, I tried to restore these (https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/103902574) and then someone removed them again.
Some of them are now fixed. There seems to be a few users who did these, I am not sure who was the first one, or whether they are in a same team, or someone get influenced by those bad edits.
These issue was first posted here https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=785946#p785946

I am not sure but I see DFFYou have some history in making Public transport - Bus route relations in Ipoh.
We know how road edits can mess up the relations…Could this be the reason of his peculiar edits?

Sometimes public transport routes might broke unintentionally when a section of road is split or combined, I’m not sure why is this happen, but most of the time it happens when a road is upgraded into dual carriageway or a junction is modified as a roundabout. I might try to fix the public transport relation if possible, but there are some unneccessary road features that need to be fixed and corrected. I have fixed the bus routes before last year, and I encounter some problems that seems like someone removed or added a section of road unintentionally or even purposely.

IMO, nothing beats JOSM for easy, powerful functionality in doing public transport relations. Hard to mess up too.

I can back up the statements from user:Zh9567. The problem was discussed earlier - please refer to this chain of discussion (posts 17 - 24).

I still remembered this particular painful changeset coming from this user. See attached screenshots to see why.

Yes, you see it right. Shibuya Crossing-style intersection in the middle of a residential area, for vehicles. Had a great fun taking great care of that, including wiping so many fictitious turn restrictions.

Later edit: Street-level photos from Grab drivers did help a lot over there. Probably one driver saw weird routing over the area, so the driver took their liberty to record numerous photos, which actually describes the reality in detail.

Later, later edit: Surprise, surprise. The Data Working Group took action on the user.