Better way to go about checking validity of 3d edits?

Currently, I mainly edit using iD. Adding the building parts for anything past simple roof shapes has become quite difficult as my current workflow is essentially edit using my best knowledge of the proper way to do it, wait 1-3 days for F4Map to update, check on the resulting outcome and make changes as needed.

This just doesn’t seem like the right way to do it as I feel like I’m cluttering the map history with failed taggings.

I’ve tried to use Kendzi3d, and my edits also look terrible on there vs on F4map. I don’t edit using JOSM so it doesn’t really make sense to use K3D either until I understand JOSM.

Is there a way to “validate” the rendering before saving my edits?

Hi, unfortunately I don’t know a good way to get a 3d preview in iD.

Besides the Kendzi3D plugin for JOSM, there is the possibility of saving your work on your computer as an .osm file and opening that in a 3d rendering program (such as my own OSM2World). But last I checked, iD didn’t support saving data to a file on your computer, so that’s again something that only works with the desktop editors like JOSM.

A 3D preview would be a great feature, and I might even be able to help build it once I’ve finished my current work on making OSM2World run in the browser, but that’s more of a long-term plan and doesn’t help you right now. :frowning:

Thanks for the reply!

Let me know if you need any testers as well for that I’m always happy to hrlp.

When was it?:slight_smile:

Of course you can save changes as an .osm file: once you’ve made the changes, save them without sending to the server and at the bottom in the left panel there’s a link to download the .osm file.

That sounds promising, but I’m only seeing an option to get an .osc file. (Unless I’m missing something?)

An .osc file shows the difference between what was there before and what you mapped, but contains none of the data that was there originally. This could be enough if you’ve mapped a building entirely from scratch, theoretically, but it would still require a format conversion into .osm to be compatible with typical rendering software. Or you could download the existing data from Overpass API or the osm.org export tool, apply the .osc, and render the result … entirely feasible, but I don’t know a convenient way for a non-technical user to do that.

Thanks for the hint in any case. I didn’t know that iD feature yet, so I learned something today. :slight_smile:

Ok, I didn’t know that these are different file formats. Sorry, the translation in iD for my language was wrong: “Download osmChange file” was translated as “Download an .osm file”. Thanks, I learned something too and fixed the translation :slight_smile: