You are not logged in.

Announcement

*** NOTICE: By 30th of September 2022 the forum.openstreetmap.org will be retired, please request a category for your community in the new ones as soon as possible using this process, which will allow you to propose your community moderators. We expect the migration of data will be finished by that date, you can follow its progress here.***

#1 2021-03-26 14:30:38

DmitTrix

Barriers with narrow passages that let people pass, but not cattle

Hello all!

I'm trying to find out what is the right way to tag a barrier with a narrow passage, usually triangular in plan, that lets humans pass through, but prevents cattle from doing so – one like this (full page) or this.

Sometimes, such passages are alongside with a Hampshire gate, a swing gate which might be normally locked or unlocked (like here or here), or a cattle grid.

The closest thing I can see in Key:barrier page on OSM wiki is "kissing gate", but it doesn't really fully match (in particular, it's said in Wikipedia that a kissing gate has "hinged gate trapped between its [enclosure's] arms", but the type of gate I'm talking about doesn't have any moving parts at all).

P.S.: I'm actually not even sure what's the correct/specific name for this type of passage. I think it's usually referred to as "cattle gate" (שער בקר), but this name is also used for Hampshire gates and cattle grids.

Dmitry

#2 2021-03-26 17:23:17

Harel M
Website

Re: Barriers with narrow passages that let people pass, but not cattle

I figured out that Barrier=kissing_gate is the closest thing, but I usually just map these as barrier=gate motor_vehicle=no...

#3 2021-03-26 18:25:27

zstadler
Website

#4 2021-03-27 19:06:38

DmitTrix

Harel M, zstadler, thanks for your replies. After reading through Tag:barrier=stile, it looks to me like the following tagging fits perfectly:

barrier=stile
stile=squeezer
material=metal

So, I'll use that in the future.

Would you mind me adding it to https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Israel#Barriers as well? This feature is very common on walking / hiking paths in Israel, and I haven't seen it properly tagged.

Board footer