Admin boundary import / Import data sempadan pentadbiran

How abou now? Hope this import can be continued…

I admit that “life has got in my way” dedicated for OpenStreetMap in these few recent months. I’ll try to complete bit by bit, but then again, please just remind me to complete this import. Can’t promise any ETAs though.

Ok, I believe that all Malaysian OSMers will looking forward for your update. Life is more important but since OSM is a public project, someone (like us) will need to sacrifice our time to this. Anyway, you can just do this when you are free too…

Sorry to disturb, but I still dont see any progress till February 2020, hope that you can spend your precious time to finish these tasks, your works are appreciated.:slight_smile:

Sorry for the intermittent on/off progress. Quick update: I’ve already imported the district borders of the state of Pahang.

Hello, can you complete the import within this month? I do believe that you can spend some hours to finish this since outdoor activities are not allowed. TQ

Hi, I don’t connect to a stable, wired connection. There’s a risk of so many upload conflicts, if I happened to stop halfway during the import… and it’s not going to be resolved neatly due to a bad connection, then I really am going to have a good time.

No promises, but if I’m brave enough, I’ll try giving it another go.

(Isn’t it lovely. Weak connection, and I’ve got to refresh few more times to send this reply.)

FYI, I had done import for Negeri Sembilan also, checkup for boundary accurancy also not complete but I think it is already ok.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/85973721 Someone had added district boundaries for Johor. BTW he/she said that the source was from GeoJohor. I dont know this is legit or not.

I sent an email to them and will update as info becomes available.

How about that Sinar Project? Where’s the detail of its copyright/legality to use in OSM?
Seeing a boundary like this sourced from Sinar Project looks like bullshit questionable boundary data to me.

Yeah, it’s not counted as an open[1] data, unless the uploader shows any proof saying “yes, no problem uploading a copy of that into OpenStreetMap…” Best if there’s a copy of any e-mail exchange between the involved parties.

Strange, considering boundaries are uploaded as closed, unbroken ways rather than split ways connected together to form boundary relations.

Hooray, deeper copyright rabbit hole!

[1]open here means you can view, manipulate and do almost everything including distribution or re-distribution of said data

That user just send me a reply.

Hi,

It is a rough sketch based on satelite image features (with hints provided by the portal) and there is no detailed tracing of the boundary. I don’t see a copyright issue there as the boundary is rough

If I were you, I’d refer to the Data Working Group. It does sound not so pleasant, but what’s the difference between that, and “opening Google Maps from a browser tab and an OSM editor; and grab what’s displayed on the browser tab”?

according to OSM Inspector (https://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/) it show that some boundaries have error, and I found out that some of them have admin_centre included in the relation, but if the admin_centre is a way, then it shows an error message saying that the role should be inner. so I think that we should use a node or relation as admin_centre, so that it won’t get confused. The standard OpenStreetMap layer will render a border along the way even if there is a way which is not tagged as outer or inner. The same goes for subarea role.

Have you fixed them? If it’s not the case, could you send a screenshot?

Someone drawn the segments of district borders in Johor and made relations, but did not remove the originally drawn district borders which were drawn as closed ways (such as Segamat relation https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/12306079 and way https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/809887669)). Most of them are incomplete and the section where it is a coastline or bordering with another state didn’t include in the relation. And somehow that user made another relation for Johor (https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/12306082). Also the southern portion of Muar/Tangkak district border should follow Muar River instead of going to the west and border with Melaka.

See above, earlier replies.

To be clear, that was no way related to earlier import (hence, this forum thread/topic). In the future, just create new topic to point out anything that felt not right with existing boundary data in OSM.

Are import for Selangor Administrative District (Daerah) boundaries as well as Administrative Local Authorities (PBT) boundaries completed?
Both are in current use and should really be mapped correctly in OSM. Before double checking them in OSM, I’m asking the status here.

• Administrative Districts (Daerah) in use for current MCO (PKP) travel restriction boundaries, land matters etc.
  • Administrative Local Authorities (PBT) in use for all amenities by local government (road, drainage, buses, electricity etc)

Okay, short and simple - I don’t know. I’ll try to explain things, so hear me out:

Someone else picked up my slack for Selangor, Melaka and Negeri Sembilan boundary import. To deal with “upload conflicts”, I definitely need a more proper Internet connection… not simply relying on (limited) mobile connections. Thus, it took eons to finish this import. Up until the moment I kind of no longer interested to import Selangor’s PBT boundaries. No district boundaries for Selangor, but somehow the PBT boundaries made it into OSM. It does feel jarring to do so. That’s what was supposed to be my plan.

My original plan was to import what was made available from Sinar Project. In Selangor, there were only borders of PBTs, but no district boundaries. There were no indication from my side to import any districts of Selangor boundaries.

Sorry, but what a letdown things were.

Good for you. We/somebody need to do the “needful” (quoting from indian service center phase) by going/asking the proper department for official boundary coordinates (probably need to transform datum to WGS84 also). This task should be much easier in Selangor since the local government is kinda open to these sort of requests due to the 'Open Government" thing, just need the effort and the followup to ensure we get the right data. Currently, PBT boundary data just messes up Nominatim address presentation/resolution, and IMO shouldn’t be included as adminstrative layer.

Depending on Sinar project is not advised.

Here’s the response I got from them:

Hi all,

District Boundary data that was once hosted on Sinar Project open data portal has no traceable origin. If I were to use that district Boundary files, I mention it from unknown source

Electoral boundaries - Citations vary based on the year you want to quote from.

Thanks