Why o why series..

1. I don’t think you can link image from google drive. You need a link from image hosting websites like Imgur or something similar.

2. Caps in village names.
    You know what uses caps for village names? Google maps. So you know where those were probably copied from. :roll_eyes:

Oh my goodness! Even business establishments were tagged as place=village nodes!

Those ITP thingies suggest private land plots, with areas in hectares.

P.S. I’ve corrected the tags for you in the meanwhile, per this tip. Well, I used to think it was impossible to display images stored on Google Drive too.

Just wondering if these Pulau Lim Kit Siang, Pulau Lim Guan Eng, Pulau Anwar Ibrahim, Pulau Nurul Izzah Anwar & others are valid and real island names ?

Noo, actually this is a little test to see whether some organization is violating the OSM map at that time… See https://gizmodo.com/the-fake-places-that-only-exist-to-catch-copycat-cartog-1695414770/ All of those islands named after some politicians… But I think I should remove it, and sorry about that if had caused any inconvenience to you.

btw, You are quite observant…

I’ve just encountered another big problem. Somebody is expanding non-existent street names.

For example: jalan pjs 1/30 has been changed to jalan petaling jaya selatan 1/30. found another somewhere KJ has been expanded to Kinrara jaya or some sort.

this is a highly irresponsible act. the street signboards uses PJS, the businesses uses pjs too. osmands routing software couldn’t find it either, and i had to resort to google map to see where it is.

That’s Kaart’s handiwork from last year. Someone from their team did ask me a few questions about these street names, but definitely for random places. I could only recall discussing around Bandar Laguna Merbok township in Sungai Petani, Kedah with Jalan BLM x scheme. I strongly urged them to leave mapped street names as they are (Jalan BLM x scheme) rather than expanding it into supposedly their “full form”. Also, because I stressed enough that I’ve been mapping around there as well, there’s that.

If this got in the way during arguments, well, then, wait until they see this.

Fast forward, few months later. Some street names with capitalised case (because they’re acronyms), were changed into proper sentence cases e.g. Jalan ABRACADABRA were edited into Jalan Abracadabra, too. :rage:

Short names or full names… Asian people seem to prefer the short version - “KL” instead of Kuala Lumpur.
In 2010, I travelled to Kerala (India). My first hotel was in Kochi, Durbar Hall Road. According to my GPS, I was already about to arrive there, but I hadn’t seen a road sign for Durbar Hall Road yet. Perhaps it was just on a junction with another road, and that perpendicular road the correct name… Till I found out that “DH Road” was already Durbar Hall Road. European would shorten that to Durbar Hall rd., not DH Road. “Who’s ‘rd’?” would Indians - and likely also Malaysians - wonder.
Later on, I learned that virtually every village has an MG road. Can you translate it?

Depends though. We’d still go the short form as written on the road signs. (the long form is probably used as quick reference by people in the related adminstration/maintenance department only just so they know which part of the city the street is). Can you imagine how long the road signs would be if it is truly the unabbreviated version? we probably couldn’t even fully read it in time while passing by in our cars. :smiley:

BTW, this happened in some districts Negeri Sembilan, where the the letters on the roadsigns are too small and additionally crowded with jawi letterings on top. Basically none of the photos that I took during that journey was readable. Hell, I could only make out the spelling when the road signs are about 20 meters in front of the car. Somebody in the district office probably forgot to refer to the road department standards for road signs.

This is from the first page of this topic:

Seriously this is going to mess up other related landuses. Want to map a retail landuse? Your editor will kindly remind you not to map overlapping landuses. Had fun once in Kota Bharu. Ouch ouch ouch ouch.

1500+ map changes through the MAPS.ME app. 100% of them. Not sure how this user gets land parcel (lot) numbers from, in which they are mapped as literally a thousand plus apartments. And many other things.

My guess? internal map from logistic company. Kuala Terengganu pos riders have hand drawn maps (looks like trees) to handle the close packed villages in the city limits and surrounding area. Let us know where he says his sources come from.

I don’t think this user would respond to any means of contact, because (my stereotyping says) mappers exclusively adding things from the MAPS.ME app might not be aware of OSM.org… unless the Data Working Group was informed about it, and a zero-hour block makes it difficult to add things for a while.

Rant against the Organised Mapping Teams, what number is it already?

They are all really eager to trace unmapped roads, without paying close attention to the nearby surrounding area (hang on, I believe I’ve already said this before).

But sometimes, we know which residential areas are really restrictive regarding public access, in and out. Only one entrance and exit. Other entrances and exits might be sealed off.

Today, I am still discovering these bad map data (from the ancient era of two years ago) while staying at home and all that - wait until an all-clear signal to stray further from home. So at least I’ve made some changes, at least traffic wouldn’t go to these “alternative” entrance/exit roads (which may be totally not a real street?).

As one of the many volunteer, unpaid mappers, I deserve a pat from myself on the back.

Why bother reporting blatant map errors to their related supervisors, when it’s obviously faster doing it by yourself?

My approach regarding these mappers: Delete and shut up… shhh… :stuck_out_tongue: :D:lol:

this is from a newish user ( a long time mapper for another app, the original malaysian free source map version). I already made a comment on some other changeset on how this is not the OSM way of tracing houses. Barrier=fence perhaps, but definitely not building=house. Didn’t seem to help. Oh well.

At least, those 4 buildings were drawn with 4 individual “ways”.
I feared the 2 buildings on the lower right (which share 1 node) could actually be drawn with 1 single way…

At least he got those part right, separating unique ways for each house. It’s just that the way he map is turning the area into official property boundary title copy, with houses instead of boundary lines. There are just too many for me to rectify.

… and he missed a couple of trees!

This is just next to a bridge that goes over a railway. Let KartaView describes over a thousand words for everyone. The said railway should be near the top right of this image.

Again, ancient edits of the year 2019. It’s just, recently, the hobbyist local mappers have had the chance to look it up all over again (unless sweet exchange of labour happens, wink wink). I’ll tell you what: red lines are what things suppose to look like and green lines show what changes were applied later.

The red lines are from ground truth, collected before we even managed to get clearer imageries (not a surprise: edits were made to at least match reality).

Before adjustments were made today, so, road users can turn left sharply, immediately, when going down the bridge? :roll_eyes:

Same crap, different day. Rather new addition this year. Seems nothing is learned from all our complains. !@#$ :confused: