You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-16 20:20:11

NFZANMNIM

Naming - Neighbourhoods in Mixed cities

Hello,

So I have a question, with regards to naming of neighbourhoods. And my question is specifically about, names of predominantly Palestinian-Arab neighbourhoods in mixed or predominantly Hebrew-speaking cities. eg. many neighbourhoods in East Jerusalem.

Some names are already only shown in Arabic. eg. Umm Tuba, Sur Baher, Shuaifat.

Some were only in Hebrew, but I edited them to bilingual names, eg Abu-Tur, Isawiyah, etc, and a review of my edit, led me to wonder, and bring the question here.

We know that predominantly Palestinian-Arab towns and villages are shown only in Arabic, and we also know that nowhere in the area of WB/EJ/48-IL/GS, are bilinigual display names used (until now)

(Same question could apply to other places too, eg some neighbourhoods in Haifa)

What's the ideal solution?

Do we show names in Hebrew only, and ignore that the area is mostly non-Hebrew speakers?

Do we show only in Arabic, and ignore that the neighbourhood is in a non-Arabic or mixed city, and important for all of the city, and not just its local residents?

Or do we create a new tradition of bilingual display name for these cases?

#2 2020-12-17 10:05:49

zstadler
Website

Re: Naming - Neighbourhoods in Mixed cities

The OSM guideline is to use the name used locally.

For neighbourhoods it means that names of predominantly Arabic-speaking neighbourhoods should be in Arabic and names of predominantly Hebrew-speaking neighbourhoods should be in Hebrew. This rule is also used for naming predominantly Arabic-speaking cities and villages in Israel.

It is useful to duplicate the "name" tag in the appropriate "name:ar" or "name:he" tag and, whenever possible, add the name in the other language.

These guidelines allows designers of different maps to choose the language/s they prefer.

Using multiple languages in a "name" tag is highly discouraged. Mapping for the renderer is also a bad practice.

#3 2020-12-17 10:22:19

zstadler
Website

Re: Naming - Neighbourhoods in Mixed cities

By the way, here is an example of a multilingual OSM map, made by the Fraunhofer Institute of Optronics, System Technologies and Image Exploitation IOSB, using a combination of the local "name" tag and the "name:en"/"int_name" tags:

102468123-cf5a4a00-4059-11eb-966e-b36ee773b438.png

Last edited by zstadler (2020-12-17 10:22:49)

Board footer