Data improvements in Greece

Hi again everyone,

This is Andrew from Apple. My team is planning to do some improvements to OSM data in Greece - first we plan some mapping related to road issues, such as missing roads and routing problems like missing connections, and later some improvements to water features and land use and land cover polygons, such as parks, university and hospital campuses, airports and similar features.

We will make sure to follow the appropriate OSM and local guidelines. We have been doing a similar project in other regions for some time.

Also, thanks to those who contributed to the MapRoulette challenges I posted earlier.

I wanted to get your feedback and see if you had any suggestions or data resources we could use.

There’s more information about the project on our Github page: https://github.com/osmlab/appledata/issues/161

Thanks!

Hi Andrew,

Thank for your team’s interest in helping improving those elements and fixing any important-to-navigation issues. Hope whatever resources you already have are informative enough for those things.

I also hope you don’t use highway=“track” at every single road, because that’s what some Kaart members did in some parts of Greece, even though most of those were normal local roads, some even with asphalt. I don’t know how you map, so consider this as, ehm, personal “grievance” for something others do :d

In most towns/cities, there are small roads which don’t have an official name given. Officially those are called “Anonimi odos” (=Anonymous street), but usually we call them sideroads/bystreets (dunno which english is the most proper) of the main street they are attached to. Such roads in OSM are either not named at all or named by the attached main street’s name.

PS: I do edits mostly in Argos and some around areas, so if you happen to see an issue there, especially within Argos, I would like to be notified, if possible, because sometimes I spend too much time mapping and understanding how my city goes :D. I know this may sound a bit selfish to ask, but being the only local editing my city currently so much…sorry, mumbling again xd

We do have a tag for roads with no names: noname=yes.

Also, named streets like Αλεξάνδρας or Κηφισίας do not start with “Οδός” or “Λεωφόρος” in name=*.

I am interested in the project, but I seek further opinion from the Greek community because we are trying to recover from severe disagreements last year.

Also, the classifications: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Greece#Highways_in_Greece

I also must point out that Greece is very flexible on road surfaces. I do not like how mappers use highway=track for anything that is not classified or asphalt/concrete: we do not need to pave every local road with asphalt/concrete, even if we had all the money in the world.

The fact that a section of road is not paved with asphalt or concrete is not enough reason alone for that section to be downgraded from its original class: it only becomes the case if motor vehicles cannot use it (like in Hydra), or the surface is poor that motor vehicles cannot use it for at least 3 months per year (e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/794828975). In such cases, we should use note=* to explain why.

EDIT: Fixed because I keep leaving out words.

Hi everyone,
This is Oguzhaner,
First of all thanks for your feedback jimkats.
We’d glad to have your guidance and feedback to improve our edits. I’m sending you a private message from OSM.
Best,
Oğuz

Hi jimkats and ika-chan!, thanks for the suggestions. We’ll make sure to use the Greece highway guidelines wiki page you cited for our road classifications. And thanks for the offer to help with any questions we have in Argos!

Hi all, a heads-up, we are planning to add missing buildings in Thessaloniki as well. Buildings are already mentioned in our Github page above, but I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions for mapping them in the city. We will make sure to note the appropriate imagery offsets as well. Thanks.