Issues copying .gmap file produced by mkgmap to GPSMAP 64sx

After a lot of tinkering around with map styles, TypWiz3 running on Wine on Mac, and the OpenTopo map repository, I finally managed to get mkgmap to compile a .gmap file that opens on BaseCamp. :smiley:

Only issue is whenever I try to copy the installed map to my Garmin GPSMAP 64sx, I get the following error from MapInstall:

My device is definitely plugged in, and turned on so I don’t have much of an idea of what’s causing the issue. Only thing that does seem to produce a file usable by MapInstall is if I exclude the .TYP file then everything seems to run correctly but doesn’t get me the map style and .TYP I want.

I ran macOS’s console to see if I could get any more information about the error, only thing I found was this:

Unknown encoding 4294967295

Anyone run into that error before? Any help to get this working would be appreciated!

mkgmap also gives you the option to create a gmapsupp.img using --gmapsupp

Once created , just drop it into the /garmin folder on your gpsmap64

Should this cause a problem then you can always remove it.
Nio idea what encoding 4294967295 means
If you have added a codepage option then check the number
try something like
–code-page=1252
Use codepage 1252 in your TYP file as well.
Good Luck
Nick

So it turns out that MapInstall is very picky about the name of the TYP file. I haven’t been able to figure out what works and what doesn’t but I do know that if MapInstall can’t build an image and transfer it, a gmapsupp.img file won’t work either.