Why o why series..

Painted non-physical barriers on the road means absolutely divided highways for these fruity map data team. Well, these painted lines will fade with time. Sometimes roads will be resurfaced and surprise, surprise: there will be changes on these road markings.

One unexpected outcome may include unnecessary (completely made up) u-turns when in reality, any driver would simply need to turn right to arrive at destination.

But screw us ground truth mappers, mapping for so many years, right? After all, they will get paid for undoing “correct edits”, unlike us the poor volunteers. Just let them pillage the map data to gather more kilometers for record keeping’s sake. When they’re done, if I’m not burned out mapping yet, I’ll made those “needful” corrections as I see them.

They should have mapped in established areas e.g. in Germany or in the UK first to get the message across.

I give them the benefit of a doubt as grab are one of gold corporate member of OSM.
Certainly what they do is for the good of OSM…(i hope)
who knows…maybe all these highly detailed turn restrictions and dual carriageway will be good for future autonomous driving ?
I hope they can input more…like live traffic…then we’ll beat waze! :slight_smile:

SERIOUSLY i DONT THINK SO we can beat Waze, even in KL or Shah Alam there are plenty of unnamed road plus misalign roads. Kalau kampaung lagi teruk… But things can change, OpenStreetCam had helped me to add at lease 100 roadnames, if they employ some technician to contribute to OSM, and add the source legitly (not copy from Google), then we can.

I would disagree. Just don’t put 3rd world country paid mappers to do the job since they have issues. ehem. (sorry faidz, but true).
Any autonomous driving that depends solely on OSM in Malaysia is irresponsible. Just like ‘local flying cars’ of yesteryear. :laughing:
Openstreetcams are decent enough though.

Anyone seen road name “Opong Pai 7” before? https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/182314947
copy from google? no laa, got proof its ‘legit’ :laughing:
https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/TUljUNfAAV3Phy0SM9DYtM

As a Malaysian, you should know that the road name actauuly is Lorong Pala 7, not Opong, the roadsign are demaged dure to weather and didnt maintain well by the local authority also.

During my early days of editing OSM, I usually care mapping about more significant highways, rather than (agricultural) tracks and the likes. I will jot down highways which I think needs attention if necessary (and if I’m able to make a quick stop or take a picture).

Okay, long story kept short: the highway on the opposite side of where I took this picture is mapped as a residential highway. Seeing (imagery) does not imply believing in so many times where there would be vast swaths of rice fields.

I may not get mad if it was tagged way down its actual classification.

But… there is a house, isn’t it? How is it accessed? Hope that way is mapped correctly.
I like also the wooden pole in the water, which gives the impression of those “Click here” indicators in Mapillary.:slight_smile:

There’s a bridge, at a distance. Well, there might be an access road coming from another significant highway on the same side of the bank of this canal.

Anybody want to go flying Duke of Hazzard style into the “roundabout”? Instead of General Lee, we’ll use Grab’s kapcai instead.:lol:

Shouldnt try the freaky indoor feature, very time consuming. But I had done for my neighbourhood mall, with my ground truth.
See: https://openlevelup.net/?l=0#18/5.31987/100.47772

They really don’t give a shit…

edit: seems I need to go over kuala terengganu area once more. This is a never ending job. Maybe we should let grab, apple, kaart and whoever finish whatever they wanted to do, and only then start to look at the quality of data. In that case, I’ll be probably cooped up in my room for a month!

Oh, you just need to replace your car with a good tank. Then you can use those Grab roads too.

The city of Sungai Petani, Kedah is under siege between two (non-local) remote mapping teams. I don’t know whether those independent teams do communicate with each other - one is tracing things with what’s available to the editors, while the other team is claiming they have purchased a fresher imagery.

Coordination may be important: they shouldn’t wipe each other’s edit and/or upset the local mappers (as if they have ever stepped on our soils).

Some edits were made on the basis of consistency - but, hey, we may drove on these roads ourselves: since when our roads are consistent?

It’s a saying that “less precise map data is better than none”, but then again, unless we have a ton of local mappers, it’s an uphill task to actually fine tune all these remote mapping edits. I am still discovering bad, misleading edits made from the first wave of GlobalLogic (for Grab) mapping effort from last year.

Who needs to pay for toll? Using grab tank, you can just drive though the teak trees, the fence, and the oil palm trees to your destination. In India maybe… :rage:

Actually, now I just realized that I discovered this while planning a trip to a destination a few hundred meters south of this area, and I planned to go there at about 2 o’clock in the morning. Imagine the colossal fuck up it would have been if I just entered the destination on Osmand and just went without checking the route first.

And now, we have to check for the ‘short cuts’ like this along the all the closed-toll motorways. $#@!!

I thought I’m the only one seeing wild things…

More incoming eyesore…

I’m the process of uploading my own ancient GPS tracks - that’s the way mapping can be done before the advent of donations of clearer satellite imageries.

I admit this should be done waaaaaaay earlier ( ̶b̶a̶r̶u̶ ̶d̶i̶o̶r̶a̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶a̶u̶ ̶s̶a̶p̶e̶ ̶a̶b̶a̶n̶g̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶k̶a̶w̶a̶s̶a̶n̶), it would made my life easier ̶ ̶a̶r̶g̶u̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h explaining things to the non-local remote mapping efforts.

Anyway, another problem I spotted with them is that they may not take hints from the surrounding mapped areas. I’ve seen highways traced over wastewater basins or pools of water - because developments of newer housing estates took off a few years later; after an independent mapper initially added those water elements.

One critical comment which I might let them know is to actually observe the surroundings and if possible, remove those pools and/or make more necessary changes. I mean, what’s the difference between simply getting paid to trace roads, and volunteers in map-a-thons, sans exchange in labour?

Straight to the point: While I’m curating which GPS tracks to be made public for OSM purposes, I stumbled upon some impressive edits.

Residential highways in an archaeological site? Really? It would made sense in the year of 600 BC where this would be a site of almost industrial-scale iron smelting, and people would live nearby. Yes, there are residential houses to the southwest of this site (and likely buildings related to aquaculture farms), but warranting a residential highway is overtagging IMHO.

Ooo… anyone with an amphibious vehicle? Tanks, preferably?

Here lies another problem: the mapper involved in the second case seemed no longer mapping (dah arwah dah). The said edit was made exactly a year ago. Seriously, this is bound to happen (again and again) when a team of easily 20-50 (non-local) remote mappers outdo the almost all active mappers of the whole country…

This is ironic, claiming that they “stick to the Wiki” while totally ignoring actual areas mapped to match the reality.

I hope you added the correct access tags. E.g.
access:grab_tank=yes
Or should it rather be
access:elephant=yes
access:buffalo=yes
:smiley:

Just randomly looking at Sabah, and I saw many weird stuff, many villages are in all caps, and even non-settlement places tagged as villages…

*Edit: The affected areas for those problems are mostly in Ranau, Keningau, Tenom, Nabawan, and Pitas. I’m not sure how to embed images from Google Drive, so if the images above is not showing up, right click or long press on the “preview” and click “open image in new tab”.

1. I don’t think you can link image from google drive. You need a link from image hosting websites like Imgur or something similar.

2. Caps in village names.
    You know what uses caps for village names? Google maps. So you know where those were probably copied from. :roll_eyes: