You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-13 09:48:22

AlaskaDave
Website

Servie roads in the Chiang Mai University Campuses

Hi all,

I've taken up birdwatching and bird photography so I have been spending quite a bit of time at the Chiang Mai University Huay Kaew Campus as well as its Agricultural/Veterinary Campus on the Canal Road. Presently, all the ways inside those campuses are tagged highway=service.

These "service" roads are in some cases 4 lane highways with sidewalks, traffic signals, bike lanes, and most even have names. Seeing as my idea of a service road is closer to a driveway rather than what we have on those campuses, I'm wondering if anyone would object to me retagging the major roads as highway=unclassified. Strictly speaking, these roads are also private but most have pretty much 24/7 public access so I don't feel we need to deal with the access tag for any of these roads.

I am not pushing for this change; it isn't a big deal for me one way or the other. It's just that those highways don't fit well with my concept of a service road.

Cheers,

Dave (AlaskaDave)

#2 2020-01-13 10:04:51

Beddhist
Website

Re: Servie roads in the Chiang Mai University Campuses

If there are gates that may be closed from time to time then they should remain service. Otherwise, residential, or they will be higher classification than many roads that actually go somewhere.

Only my 2c...

#3 2020-01-13 11:51:51

Russ McD

Hi Dave - talk about great minds ...
Just last week,  was making sure all the roads along the main Mae Taeng irrigation canal had the right surface tags, as it changes a lot over the length of the road ...
but took a detour into the main "dual carriageway" around Chiang Mai Rajabhat University Saluang Keeluk Campus.
Its obviously been improved lately,  some of which is reflected in the aerials.  But with the lack of gates and the fact it essentially it forms a ring road open to the public around the Campus, I went ahead and changed these to unclassified, barely 3 days ago, aligning with your thinking.  The smaller roads leading to buildings, etc. I left as residential, which I perhaps think shud be service, as they form roads within the Campus.
But in essence, I agree with your thinking... so by all means, change the other University sites that are similar. smile

#4 2020-01-15 23:33:53

AlaskaDave
Website

Thanks for your input folks. I don't intend to change ALL the service road classifications, just the major through routes that I've been using as shortcuts for years. As for Beddhist's (Peter?) concerns, there are indeed gates (five gates I believe, to which I've recently added names) but they have never been closed AFAIK. The several main roads that go through the Chiang Mai University main campus have destinations outside the campus and traverse it in its entirety to get there. They are commonly used by hundreds if not thousands of vehicles every day for that purpose.

The other roads that are present in your case Russ should IMO be classified as service roads. If it's the same one I'm thinking of, the one just off of Route 107, I've been there and in fact was the one who first put the dual carriageway on the OSM map many years ago. My thinking is that even those ways serving dormitories are not what we traditionally think of as residential ways.  Consequently, they should be retagged as service roads.

Best,

Dave

Board footer