#51 2019-02-01 18:02:21

beatnickgr

Re: Παράλειψη "Οδός" και "Λεωφόρος" στο tag name και name:el

@ika-chan! whoops, σωστός.
name:prefix=*

#52 2019-12-13 17:36:31

Map-Finder

Στις Εθνικές Οδούς στο tag της Αγγλικής γλώσσας, στις ονομασίες, έχει μπει ο χαρακτηρισμός "Highway".
Δεν είναι περιττός;
Ο χαρακτηρισμός  highway=primary δεν μας καλύπτει;
Να βάζουμε και το street, avenue κ.ο.κ. στους ανάλογους δρόμους;

#53 2019-12-16 19:31:09

ika-chan!

I think that there is no single answer on whether or not to use descriptors in other languages. It would depend on the linguistic rules that I have no control over. I remember from the Romanain DWG case where the consensus for named streets in the Romanian language is to use descriptors for named roads (e.g. Strada).

I can say that we can omit "Street", "Avenue", etc from the English name (name:en=*), but perhaps make use of name:prefix=* for the descriptor, in Greek.

There are some cases where I could support the use of "Παράδρομος…" or "Παλαιά Εθνική Οδός…" in name=*, if the reason is to avoid confusion with newer alignments or similarly named roads.

This does not mean that we must use it in every scenarios, but I never liked the idea of just using name="Παράπλευρη Οδός" on service roads, due to a possibility of confusion where two motorways meet each other (like in Kleidi). We may be able to visually tell which belongs to which, but navigation devices can only read data.

No one has to be 100% perfect at OpenStreetMap.

#54 2019-12-17 01:06:21

Map-Finder

My question targets on having uniformity over the whole map.
I insisted on having a special "pinned" section in the forum about these details, but the answer was "everything is on Wiki.
No mates, these are special directions by the community to the contributors. For example, the omission of the words "Οδός, Λεωφόρος" are not said in wiki. Similar to this is the cases of the names.
A special section where directions about mapping should be useful.
I like uniformity!

#55 2019-12-18 23:08:43

JayCBR

about national highways, we omit Εθνική Οδός because is part of the reference (EO1 etc), Εθνική Οδός Αθηνών - Θεσσαλονίκης is Athens - Thessaloniki Highway in english, i dont understand the problem

we already put street and avenue in english names

and again, the whole purpose of the wiki is to include instructions for mapping

Last edited by JayCBR (2019-12-18 23:09:58)

#56 2019-12-18 23:18:34

Map-Finder

I am talking about uniformity. If this is the correct format of naming, I will apply it in every case I find. I don't disagree, just aking.

and again, the whole purpose of the wiki is to include instructions for mapping

Yes, that's why I am talking about Greek Community Directions.
Should Greek Wiki translate the original text or to by applied to Greek reality?

Last edited by Map-Finder (2019-12-18 23:24:54)

#57 2019-12-19 12:34:56

JayCBR

Yes, that's why I am talking about Greek Community Directions.
Should Greek Wiki translate the original text or to by applied to Greek reality?

and again the usual answer (no idea what you try to say)

the greek wiki IS an adaptation of the general wiki SPECIFIC FOR GREECE, what translation and what original text are you talking about??

#58 2019-12-19 22:50:36

Map-Finder

There are many wiki pages and we don't talk about the same pages. I am talking about the descriptions and not the general page about greek roads.

Board footer