Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

cootha, I don’t have a mac, and the only tool I know that might be useful is for a PC. If you have access to a PC you can load your maps onto, download a copy of MapSetToolkit and see if there are any conflicts (like FIDs) with the maps.

thanks seldom, err what are FID’s? Still having trouble with not being able to send the OSM maps to the 60cx. Don’t have a PC either, will keep trying different stuff.

I didn’t respond earlier because, uh, I don’t have a clue… So three guesses:
A) Zoomlevel and/or detail setting. Zoom out or zoom towards a spot that should be on the map (perhaps the GPS location is still somewhere where you havent downloaded a mapdata for) and set details to normal.
B) transparency in combination with map layer number. Try to disable every map on the gps and then enable OSM.
C) Conflicting map id’s. Remove every map from the GPS and upload only OSM (do this only if you have the other maps available (backup) on the pc!)

cootha, FIDs are what Lambertus is describing in item C). They are a 4 digit number compiled with the map family.

Another question, what kind of GPSr are you using? I’m having a problem right now with a mkgmap compiled map on my OR300. I can send it, but I can’t see it. My map is not compiled from OSM data, however.

One more thing to try cootha, I actually fixed the error I describe immediately above by formatting my memory card. Now everything shows up fine.

Hi Lambertus,

Thanks for this great service!

I’ve DL’ed the Netherlands yesterday and found some difference in detail in de downloaded version and the OSM webpage. i.e. the forest below Breda. Is this version static or is it updated in a certain period? I’m looking for as much as detail I can get.

Grtz lteunis

Great service and thanks for providing it. But what I was wanting to do is download a heap of maps for my coming trip to Europe for 3 Months I will be travelling all over Mainland Europe, England, Scotland, Ireland and even down to Egypt and wanted to get all the maps downloaded in advance (Not sure of internet connection while away) and have them in Mapsource so I could use them as I need them. I ran into the problem of having to many tiles selected so reduced it to a few areas and downloaded them in a couple of sections and was hoping that they would combine in Mapsource but by the look of it it just over loads up the latest one. Am I doing something wrong or is there a way to download more tiles in one file. Any help would be appreciated.

i’ve had a look at that forest, but could not see any tagging problems with it. So it could be a Mkmgap thing.

The maps are updated weekly (mostly) with the latest Mkgmap version.

There is a limit to the amount of tiles you can select unfortunately. I had to install it to prevent leechers to download as much as possible, overloading the server as a result. I thought that the current limit would suffice for most genuine requests, but tiles are getting smaller so maybe I should up the limit a bit… Anyway you can also download a number of separate requests as you’ve already done but there’s a catch: all map requests have the same productnumbers: install two and you’ll only see the latest. There is a solution: use Mkgmap or another application (e.g. MapSetToolKit or sendmap) to join the tiles from different requests yourself.

Ok thanks I will give that a try and see how I go.

Hello Lambertus ,

I was having the same problem where parks with multipolygons were no longer shown in Australia. I decided to try to create my own maps and had the same problem untill I added the new switch --process-boundary-relations to include multipolygons for Mkkmap .

Regards,
Markus.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll add that to the next update. Unfortunately the current update just went online, so it’ll be next weekend.

Request to all users: Please download only what you really need, so other users can enjoy this service as well. Thank you.

Help!
I live in the southern Philippines and have been adding a lot of roads in that area. The new tiles have put the southern tip of the Philippines in a large tile covering part of Indonesia, Timor, Papua New Guinea and a large part of Australia. If I download all of the Philippines it would also include part of southern China, Hong Kong, Macau, part of Taiwan and part of Japan.

I can make do with just the southern tip of the Philippines but is there a way I can cut off the thousands of square miles and the large number of major cities I don’t need?

P.S.
I downloaded the tile containing the southern tip of the Philippines but after I installed the files the GPS and RoadTrip showed almost no roads at all. I put back the files from a previous download and they were back to normal but without the updates of course.

Did I do something wrong? Is the new tile too big for my GPS to handle? (it used to be 5mb, now it is 15mb) or is there a problem with the map?

Many thanks for all your work.

Skywoolf, with your background, you might find it easier to create your own maps using JOSM to download data and mkgmap to compile maps for your particular areas of interest. The OSM website has several wikis that will get you started.

Thanks but I don’t use any Microsoft OS PCs (I assume the software is for Windows).

I have spent many hours driving and making notes then updating the OpenStreetMap. Of course it is partly for my own benefit but also for the many others in this area that I know use it. If it was just for myself I wouldn’t bother at all and certainly would not spend even time and money creating maps only for myself.

Are you saying you don’t want all the work I have done or any future work I and others here intend to do? That seems the opposite of what this site is for.

If you don’t want any Philippines maps updated then maybe you should post a notice telling Philippines users they are not welcome or their input is not wanted.

What? Where’s this snide coming from? No one has ever said or even suggested that your data (or anyone else’s in the Philippines) isn’t welcome. Of course not. It’s exactly the other way around: a big part of this service and OSM as well is meant especially for developing countries as there are no/little/bad map providers for those areas. So please cool down man.

I’m sorry that the update of last week is not up to your standards…that happens as all the tools are in development so things change and occasionally break. Just report it as you’ve done before and it will be fixed (or not, it’s open source and everyone’s spare time after all). Seldom just tried to explain that everyone with special interests or demands have the chance to build their own maps that suit their needs better and helpfully pointed towards a source of more information.

So, bottom line: just keep adding roads and other stuff and I’ll try to keep the maps updated and if they’re not good enough then someone else (or you) might start providing them, but don’t get worked-up about an update that isn’t top notch. We’re all trying our best.

Actually, all the software needed to generate Garmin maps works under Linux.

Hey Skywoolf, I’m just another user, who doesn’t speak for anybody but myself. I was suggesting a technical fix if you want to create smaller tiles than those Lambertus is offering.

I don’t use Linux either except for web servers.

Sorry Lambertus but I was not complaining at all I was simply explaining what happened and asking for advice on what to do.

I have been building and maintaining web sites for 15 years so I know only too well what a thankless task it is and I do really appreciate your efforts as I am sure I have said more than once.

I was uptight because the impression I got from Seldom’s post was that I should go away and create my own maps rather than be part of your community and help with your maps.

I have never complained that your work is not good enough. I know how hard it is to do what you are doing and doing it free.

I don’t have any standard I ask you to keep up with. I simply ask for advice on what you think the problem was but was basically told to go away and do my own maps.

I also know from years of experience that people easily get the wrong impression form forum posts which is exactly what I did and what you did here so now I am just trying to clarify the issue.

Ok, thanks for clearing this up. Let’s forget this and move on :slight_smile:

Thanks.

I guess the answer to my question is that the map did not generate properly so I will just wait a week or two and download again. Actually I will be overseas for at least a month starting June 5 so maybe I will just try again when I get back.