To whom should I report problems with the public tileservers?

The title says all…

…but the long version is that I’m having connection issues to the current public tileservers (used by the “openstreetmap carto” in JOSM and by the map in the openstreetmap.org site)

It works fine for a few minutes and then, suddenly, all connections are refused. The map in JOSM times out, and in the openstreetmap.org map the screen remains blank.

Doing the same from a differente computer connected to a different ISP works fine.

My usage pattern is light (just making small map edits several days of the week and less than 10 map searches a day).

Already opened a ticket with JOSM’s maintainers and no changes that could justify it were made at all.

So, I believe there is some problem with the tileservers and/or network but I don’t know how to contact the people responsible for them.

Thanks.

If it works fine with a different computer and ISP I would first try to search the problem with your original ISP or network. Can you traceroute to the tile server? Run this in a command window from both computers and compare the results:

tracert a.tile.openstreetmap.org

Post the results here if you cannot make sense out of them.

Caution: the results give some clue about your whereabouts. Don’t post here if you are concerned about your privacy without anonymizing the first few lines.

For Mac users it is a little different…
https://macreports.com/how-to-run-traceroute-on-macos/

But the question was, “To whom should I report…”

Maybe those people know there’s a problem, maybe they don’t. But I’m seeing one…

You can see status of the platform starting in https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Servers

For technical issues with the tile servers you should mail the system administrators (the Operations Working Group)

when you contact the administrators, you should mention the country from where you try. There are different tile servers for different zones in the world.

Ok, sorry for taking so long to post updates.

Traceroute (tracert) reports everything fine up to the last hop:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>tracert a.tile.openstreetmap.org

Rastreando a rota para curitiba.tile.openstreetmap.org [200.236.31.207]
com no máximo 30 saltos:

1     5 ms     2 ms     3 ms  192.168.0.1
  2     4 ms     4 ms     5 ms  189.126.193.221
  3     4 ms     4 ms     4 ms  10.250.251.73
  4    33 ms    22 ms    22 ms  200-152-248.61.static.stech.net.br [200.152.248.61]
  5    25 ms    24 ms    22 ms  xgborder-rs-pae-03-ae0-3300.stech.net.br [200.152.253.247]
  6    29 ms    28 ms    28 ms  xgborder-pr-cta-01-ae0-810.stech.net.br [200.152.244.46]
  7     *        *        *     Esgotado o tempo limite do pedido.
  8    27 ms    27 ms    27 ms  p2-v103-araucaria-lapa.pop-pr.rnp.br [200.238.139.10]
  9    30 ms    30 ms    29 ms  200.17.202.62
 10  osm.c3sl.ufpr.br [200.236.31.207]  relatórios: Host de destino inacessível.

Rastreamento concluído.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Also, the server status page report everything running fine. After all, even for me, the first few minutes are fine, but after, every connection attempt is refused.

I also tried using “Openstreetmap Carto (Black and White)” instead of “Openstreemap Carto” and the problem simply goes away. I can see in the console window references to “tiles.wmflabs.org”, and they do not refuse my connections even after an extended edit session.

Now I know that I am using a “local” brazilian tile server (osm.c3sl.ufpr.br) I can narrow the problem down to this server. Is there a way to force JOSM to use any other of the mirrors?

I will try to contact the tile server administrator referred before, but I think contacting this particular server administrator would have greater effect.

Thanks.

I tried using imagery directly from other OSM tile servers (by changing the TMS URL directly) and I can attest that everything works fine, no matter for how long I browse/edit.

This is a temporary workaround, and I know it is not a good practice to use the mirrors themselves directly.

So the problem is definitely with the UFPR mirror.

Hi,

The problem seemingly went away by itself.

Of course, someone did something “behind the curtains”, but the end result is that everything is now working. Even extended edit sessions do not result anymore in any slowdown/exceptions/connections refused. Also, the addresses of the tile servers still resolve to the same IP address, so I’m not using other servers by virtue of DNS resolution.

I tried contacting user “JBurgess”, no answer at all at the discussion page of the wiki.

Thanks for the help anyway.

A comment in the #osm-dev channel on IRC may be the fastest way to reach people who know what the current status is and may be in a position to do something about it.