Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Yeah, I understand the issues at play here, especially on low-color, limited resolution screens. I’m thinking mkgmap should probably do something smarter when a relation contains ways with different maximum zoom levels in order to avoid having part of a route disappear as one zooms out. Also, it would be nice if it could boost the maximum zoom level for lone ways in otherwise empty areas of the map. I’ll investigate fixing both of these issues in mkgmap as my time permits.

I’m running a website to support OpenStreetMap in the Brazilian community (www.mapaslivres.org) and the thing that atracts a lot of new users is the download area for Garmin Maps, but its hard to keep it updated.

Is there a way to link directly to the latest maps for Brazil?

I can mirror it too, but I cannot see a fixed directory structure to do that.

Thanks,
Vitor

You are correct, there is no fixed directory structure: the directory name is a combination of map date and md5sum from the concatenated tile names. The number of tiles and tilenumbers for a country change often thus changing the md5sum). I can do the following things:

Would any of these options be helpful?

Note: none of the countries or other combination of tiles are pre-rendered on each update, there is simply not enough disk space available to do so. So there will always be someone who is the first to request a certain map configuration (e.g Brasil) and who will need to enter his/her email address.

It seems very goog to me, but the e-mail request can be a problem. We want to provide a (almost) daily update for the maps of Brazil because the map is changing very fast. Maybe the best option would run a script like yours in our server.

How often do you run the script?

Yes, it’s probably best to generate your own map on your own server.

Normally. once a week based upon the weekly planet dump.

when going to site “http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php”, i do not get the field to enter an email address - which prevents me - I guess - to make use of downloading any map. am i correct? do i need to do something to get the field visible or is there another way to download the maps for roadtrip?
thanks,

Did you select some tiles or a country first? If you do, then there should find on the left of the map, below the menu, either A) a field in which you can enter your email address or B) a link to the download directory.

thanks for this and yes i do get the ‘download’ option. i thought it would send the files to a folder on my computer, though it seems to be trying to send it to my GPS device. is this how it works - i would prefer to have it sent to my mac first and then upload it to my garmin.

Click on the ‘download’ option and then download the ‘osm_routable_roadtrip.zip’ file. You can use MapInstall to install the map in RoadTrip/BaseCamp (but I don’t have a Mac, so you’ll have to read the manual for that).

Hi, I’m having trouble getting mapinstall to ‘see’ these OSM maps. I’m on a mac.

I have got shonkymaps and contours australia and have downloaded the OSM routable maps for Australia downloaded from Lambertus’s site. I can see the OSM maps in Basecamp and they are working beautifully. But when I use Mapinstall to send them to the GPS, the map screen just goes blank for the OSM maps. Shonky and contours work perfectly and I can select what I want to go in no worries. The OSM maps when selected just goes blank and won’t load anything, even though they are perfect in basecamp.

Can anyone help me, am pulling hair out, what am I doing wrong?

cootha, I don’t have a mac, and the only tool I know that might be useful is for a PC. If you have access to a PC you can load your maps onto, download a copy of MapSetToolkit and see if there are any conflicts (like FIDs) with the maps.

thanks seldom, err what are FID’s? Still having trouble with not being able to send the OSM maps to the 60cx. Don’t have a PC either, will keep trying different stuff.

I didn’t respond earlier because, uh, I don’t have a clue… So three guesses:
A) Zoomlevel and/or detail setting. Zoom out or zoom towards a spot that should be on the map (perhaps the GPS location is still somewhere where you havent downloaded a mapdata for) and set details to normal.
B) transparency in combination with map layer number. Try to disable every map on the gps and then enable OSM.
C) Conflicting map id’s. Remove every map from the GPS and upload only OSM (do this only if you have the other maps available (backup) on the pc!)

cootha, FIDs are what Lambertus is describing in item C). They are a 4 digit number compiled with the map family.

Another question, what kind of GPSr are you using? I’m having a problem right now with a mkgmap compiled map on my OR300. I can send it, but I can’t see it. My map is not compiled from OSM data, however.

One more thing to try cootha, I actually fixed the error I describe immediately above by formatting my memory card. Now everything shows up fine.

Hi Lambertus,

Thanks for this great service!

I’ve DL’ed the Netherlands yesterday and found some difference in detail in de downloaded version and the OSM webpage. i.e. the forest below Breda. Is this version static or is it updated in a certain period? I’m looking for as much as detail I can get.

Grtz lteunis

Great service and thanks for providing it. But what I was wanting to do is download a heap of maps for my coming trip to Europe for 3 Months I will be travelling all over Mainland Europe, England, Scotland, Ireland and even down to Egypt and wanted to get all the maps downloaded in advance (Not sure of internet connection while away) and have them in Mapsource so I could use them as I need them. I ran into the problem of having to many tiles selected so reduced it to a few areas and downloaded them in a couple of sections and was hoping that they would combine in Mapsource but by the look of it it just over loads up the latest one. Am I doing something wrong or is there a way to download more tiles in one file. Any help would be appreciated.

i’ve had a look at that forest, but could not see any tagging problems with it. So it could be a Mkmgap thing.

The maps are updated weekly (mostly) with the latest Mkgmap version.

There is a limit to the amount of tiles you can select unfortunately. I had to install it to prevent leechers to download as much as possible, overloading the server as a result. I thought that the current limit would suffice for most genuine requests, but tiles are getting smaller so maybe I should up the limit a bit… Anyway you can also download a number of separate requests as you’ve already done but there’s a catch: all map requests have the same productnumbers: install two and you’ll only see the latest. There is a solution: use Mkgmap or another application (e.g. MapSetToolKit or sendmap) to join the tiles from different requests yourself.

Ok thanks I will give that a try and see how I go.

Hello Lambertus ,

I was having the same problem where parks with multipolygons were no longer shown in Australia. I decided to try to create my own maps and had the same problem untill I added the new switch --process-boundary-relations to include multipolygons for Mkkmap .

Regards,
Markus.