Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

I had the same problem when using Internet Explore. Switched to Chome and it started working for me.:slight_smile:

Question for UK Mkgmap experts … when routing from M4 South wales to the M5 West country, Mapsource (and the Zumo) refuses to use the M49. It routes through the Almondsbury interchange.
All avoidences are off, and shortest or fastest doesn’t matter, but if you add a shaping waypoint on the M49, its OK.
What is it about the M49 it doesnt like, as its clearly its the preferred route on the ground.
Is is the Construction Area that the M49 currently runs through, that throws it ?
(All works fine when using directions on the web based map). :confused:

Hi Russ, I’m not the expert you seek, but anyhow: my Zumo and Mapsource do this from time to time. I have never been able to figure out why and I simply put it down to bugs that Garmin couldn’t be bothered to fix. Happens on maps compiled with cgpsmapper as well.

Regards,
Peter.

To answer such a question an mkgmap expert needs to know all input to mkgmap:
The osm data , the style rules, and the options in use.

No issues here with the generic UK map from garmin.openstreetmap.nl version July 19, are you sure you have the latest version?

Yes, using Generic routable (new style). 19-7-19.
The tagging looks OK for the motorways.
However, if I play with the slider in Mapsource, and set it all the way to the right (prefer highways, faster time), well Swansea to Exeter uses the M49 … but coming back it doesn’t !!
Strange… but no obvious answers so I won’t lose any sleep over it.
Cheers, all.

Ah, if I plan your longer route from Swansea to Exeter I can reproduce it. Maybe the router does not like this roundabout?
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/3391101

Hello colleagues! Is there a way to install and use several maps in Garmin Basecamp. It seems that the maps downloaded separately can’t get along with each other, probably because they have the same name. I was advised to install Mac OS gmap set as it doesn’t put any registry entries like Windows Installer. But it doesn’t help. Basecamp still displays only one map. Renaming via JaVaWa GMTK is not a remedy either. The map gets a different name only visually, but seems still retaining original name in one of its technical files.

yes, I have 6 different maps in Basecamp and I can switch between them.
I render my maps myself using different FID (File Identifier?) for the maps.
You have to change the FID of your maps to be different. I believe gmaptool does this.

Lambertus, thank you for your great work and efforts. I use the routable new style maps in Basecamp and my garmin device.
This works fine! However I still have one question. The maps are extracted from Open Street Map. But on OSM there are more (foot)paths then in the downloaded map.
Here is one example of many: on OSM there is this footpath: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/686592147
This path does not occur on a downloaded map routable new style
Is this normal? (the downloaded map is a new one, so the footpath is not added afterward).

Thx, Thom

You can put a link to the path here, like this:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/443851645

Thx Sandal man. I adjusted my post and added an example

Don’t see anything wrong there, footpaths and tracks should be visible

Huh, it took me 15 minutes to figure it out. Stupid!!! My basecamp was set to activity “driving”, thus no footpaths. Because of your help I figured it out and set the activity to standard “walking”. The footpaths are there.
Thx!

I thought I could use these wonderful maps to update my old Garmin GPSmap 76C, but on the device I see only a few crude parts, most freeways and very few other roads. The rest of the map, like cities, is empty.

I used BaseCamp to upload. In BaseCamp the maps show completely and look good.

Any idea how to work around this defect? I have already tried whatever I could, to no avail.

The latest version of BC is reported to have a serious bug, causing such problems. You have 3 choices:

1 - downgrade to the previous version and turn auto-updates off.
2 - Use MapSource, also free from Garmin.
3 - download the img file and copy it directly to your GPS.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot! I uninstalled BaseCamp 4.7.0 twice, because it was there twice, checked that the folder MapInstall had also gone (otherwise I would simply have deleted it), and installed BaseCamp 4.6.2.

This solved the problem entirely. I could immediately upload all the OpenStreetMaps to the Garmin GPSmap 76C without any problems, and the maps appeared on the device in their full glory.

There is a problem showing Tortolì.

I have created a a Generic Routable (new style) map of Sardegna, downloaded the macosx maps and use it with Mapsource and Basecamp. The city Tortolì is shown as Tortol? in both Mapsource and latest Basecamp.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=Tortol%C3%AC#map=12/39.9262/9.6556

The maps are not using (all) unicode characters because some Garmin devices don’t support that. It is possible to create such a map with mkgmap but I don’t know any provider who compiles maps with that codepage.
Or do you think that the name is Tortoli (with a normal i)?

@Gerd https://extract.bbbike.org/ supports UTF-8 unicode, dont know if that helps?