Complementing wiki / Naturpark Neckartal-Odenwald/Wanderwege

Hi,

the wiki page https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Naturpark_Neckartal-Odenwald/Wanderwege contains a list of hiking trails.
But not all listet trails contain gps data, they are just listet as text.

I live in this area and would like to add gps data for some of those trails, so the trails can be selected and appear on the map.

I’m quite new to OSM and I’m not sure how to do that properly.
Can anyone give me some advice how to add the gps data and than update the wiki pages properly?

German advice highly welcome, english should work also :wink:

Thanks.

Hi John McClane,

I guess you refer to relations like 146285. In case of the list, I would check first if one of those relations exist already in the map. You can check that by navigating to the spot on the map and then enabling the data view by clicking on the ‘layer’ icon in the right hand grey toolbox (4th from top). There is a switch “Map data” and after activation you will see the actual data overlaid in blue. If you click on a piece of data, you will get the details of it on the left hand side of the screen. You can then check if it is member of any relations.

For more information, you might want to read the wiki article Relation (also available in German). I also reviewed the German beginners’ guide recently which might be a help to understand and apply the core concepts.

Cheers,
Tigerfell

PS: Posted this in English in case someone else finds this or has a similar question but can not read German.

Thanks for your reply.
I checked the map, as you suggested, and there are no relations yet.
I will check out the beginners guide and try to create a relation for those trails.

If I upload a gps trace, is there any way to create a relation from that, or can the trace only be used to see , which lines would be part of the relation, and the rest has to be done manually?

As far as I know, you would have to trace the tracks and then you can upload them to OSM (you do not have to do that). You can also make use of other’s public traces when mapping. You can find them in the GPS layer and most editors can display them, too.
This is a sample in France with some tiking GPS traces: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/48.3056/6.9724&layers=G.