Proposed moderator for Greece forum

Thanks for replying, but let me be clear - 1. is about proposed people agreeing (or not), not proposing anybody again, 2. it’s also against anyone proposed for moderator, not against anybody on Earth…

I corrected my post.

Hi again,

Since I have received personal message that moderator election should postponed, I hereby close this thread now, because not everybody agree that it is the right thing at the moment. We can go back to this later, of course.

And since some of you requested DWG help, I also hand over the process of dealing with community problems to them. I hope you will be able to find some suitable solution.

Who sent you personal message? I don’t agree to postpone it, we need a moderator now. Greek osm forum is full of off-topic posts. They have to be deleted…

WHAT???
THIS IS THE END (of me here).
And there is no problem, i BAN my self. That’s how communities are ruined.
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

1. i agree
  2. map-finder
  3. no

i dont know who told you to postpone the vote, we need to tidy up the forum now

we can decide together the responsibilities of the moderator (for starters transfering off-topics, having distinct topics and not allowing personal attacks)

Hello,

I am a member of the OSMF Data Working Group and we have had several complaints about this discussion here (offtopic, bullying, toxic etc.etc.)

We are not normally involved in policing the forum but will do so if nothing else helps. I’ve discussed this thread with the forum administration and they’ve asked us to step in.

In general, there seem to be a couple of misconceptions here.

1. Off-topic postings are generally not something that needs a moderator. If one person posts off-topic and the rest of the community is disciplined enough then that shouldn’t be such a big issue. If the community is united in finding Map-Finder’s posts not worthy of a reply, then don’t reply - instead of calling for a ban. Bans should remain reserved for people who are abusive, not for people who are just (perceived to be) a nuisance.

2. A forum moderator’s job is not to make sticky posts with tagging instructions. A forum moderator who does that abuses their position. The wiki (where everyone has equal edit rights) is the canonical place for tagging documentation. Sticky posts in the forum can be about forum rules, or important events, or perhaps they can include a few frequently asked questions, but they are not there to explain how to tag toll booths.

3. A forum moderator does not have to post frequently on the forum. In fact, it can be better if it is someone who is usually not involved in discussions. Someone who is often involved in heated discussions would have it very difficult to be a good forum moderator.

4. Ideally, in a healthy forum, a forum moderator makes use of their privileges once or twice a month. The job of a forum moderator is not to tell everyone what to do all the time!

5. Being a forum moderator is not a position of power or a reward for good deeds; it is a position of service to the community. A forum moderator must be respected by the overwhelming majority of the forum or else they will not be able to do a good job.

(As a side note, I noticed someone writing that “we don’t know Map-Finder’s OSM user name” but what about https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Map-Finder?))

So, please everybody calm down, and we’ll see what we can do about that moderator question.

Bye
Frederik

the main problem is there are several different posts with similar, even identical topics

tagging instructions belong to the wiki

about personal attacks etc, the moderator could warn the perp to avoid confrontations

Hello,

the DWG has decided that we’ll ask the user mappas to serve as an interim moderator on this forum, until the community is able to peacefully and calmly select one or more moderators in a yet-to-be-defined democratic process.

The DWG has no members who can read Greek, hence we cannot take this job ourselves. I have the utmost confidence in mappas to be impartial. I know that some of you have doubts because mappas has not participated in the forum in the past, but I think this makes him a better candidate for the post because he has not “taken sides”. mappas is an experienced mapper and a long-standing member of the Greek OSM community and I trust that he’s going to help everyone to calm down and make the forum a place where everyone can make a positive contribution again.

mappas has the DWG’s full support in taking any measures necessary to stop unpleasant conversations, including closing threads that spin off into off-topic discussions, blocking users for a short time if they don’t follow his requests, or deleting posts if necessary.

I would be happy if you didn’t test his patience right away, and try to behave well. For those of you who post a lot, try to limit yourselves a little - if everybody tries not to be the person with the most posts in any given week, then much is gained already. Nobody is so important or so clever that they need to say their opinion on every single topic, or possibly say the same opinion 10 times :wink:

Please join me in welcoming mappas to this new role, and please extend to him the same trust that I do.

Bye
Frederik

I suppose this is good news, welcome mappas. I hope you will make our small society overcome the problems we have lately!

mappas was proposed only by map-finder who obviously knows him…well done for not choosing sides

he didnt even comment on his “candidacy”

your latest decisions are tearing this forum apart…nikospag is already out and one of my feet is already out the door

I was well aware of this previous contact but this was a result of mappas trying to make contact with many different mappers. Map-Finder and mappas do not (to my knowledge) have any acquaintance prior to that. Please stop questioning my decision. I would not have gotten involved if you had been able to sort this matter out yourselves.

nikospag has announced over 6 weeks ago that he was leaving (https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=746259#p746259) so you can hardly attribute that to events of the last few days.

I would prefer if people could just be friendly & work with the new moderator instead of complaining on day one, but those who prefer not to work with the new moderator are of course free to leave. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Bye
Frederik

nikospag wanted to leave because of map-finder, who is the reason we need a moderator anyway

and now you appoint as moderator someone he proposed

btw where is mappas?he didnt even acknowledge his candidacy, what he plans to do with the forum

is this how you decide things? what i have to say i say it in the forum for everyone to see, not personally

nice attitude there

Thanks for the welcoming messages :slight_smile:

I would also like to thank kocio, forum administrators, the DWG and Frederik for their time and effort to help the Greek forum.

Please be patient as I get to know how things work on a technical level.

You can help me by sending suggestions on what needs to get done. I am going to read every thread, to see if I can spot the most urgent needed actions.

Just to confirm this: In the last couple of weeks, I have sent messages to some users (forum regulars, and users editing the map close to my location), in order to meet face to face. It just so happened that Map-Finder was the only one that was available. We met for a coffee, and we may cooperate on some project in the future. That’s all.

So… let’s get things done everyone :slight_smile:

oh wow, looks like i was right after all, map-finder, the person who accused most of the forum members for plotting against him, just because they disagree, goes behind our backs and gets his friend to be moderator

just to be clear: i dont have anything personal with mappas, he could be the best guy, but this is unacceptable

i m happy for mappas to be moderator if map-finder leaves and so is nikospag, i dont even need to ask him

JayCBR in your way of thinking, both woodpeck & kocio are my friends, since they adopted my suggestion. :smiley:

JayCBR, as far as I know, he didn’t go behind anyone’s back, he just made a public proposal.
Which is irrelevant with the reasons that the DWG trusted me to be an interim moderator.

Map-Finder, there is no need for more imaginary scenarios when someone is clearly annoyed.

I now continue this lovely night, going through some more old threads… :slight_smile:

i m proposing the merging of these posts:
National Road Numbers by ika-chan!
Road Names Discussion/Poll by JayCBR
Κατηγορίες δρόμων
Ονόματα Κόμβων
most of Πρόταση στο υπουργείο is off topic and also belongs with the others

@mappas:
Is there any capability of creating subcategories?
All the themes that JayCBR suggested would be nice to be inlcuded in a category named Road Discussion.

I did mention it at the new topic “Συμμαζέματα - Tidying Up”, but it was a big text and someone could miss it. The answer is no, we cannot have subcategories/subforums.