Name tags for 400-series highways

A number of 400-series highways have various names associated with them -

401: Macdonald–Cartier Freeway; Rt. Hon. Herb Gray Parkway; Highway of Heroes
403: Alexander Graham Bell Parkway; Chedoke Expressway
405: General Brock Parkway
407: Express Toll Route
416: Veterans Memorial Highway
417: Pierre Elliott Trudeau Highway; Queensway

Some of these names predate their 400-series designation, e.g. the “Queensway” in Ottawa. A couple of these names apply to a newly constructed section: e.g. Rt. Hon. Herb Gray Parkway. Still others were “renamed” wholesale by acts of legislation: e.g. “Veterans Memorial Highway”, “General Brock Parkway”.

This is a discussion for the best applications of their different name tags.

I’m not sure how many people in Canada read this forum. talk-ca mailing list is probably more popular place to have this discussion.

After thinking about this for a while and reviewing the sinage on local roads, the name should be “Highway 4xx”. While there are official names for the roads, these are rarely used. If I am on the 417 and am taking the exit for 416, the signs say “416 towards 401” and not “Veterans Memorial Highway towards Macdonald-Cartier Freeway” (https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=45.34514371&lng=-75.80951830999999&z=17.897866003028536&pKey=zXxUsHdje935qGRXzw_Zhg&focus=photo)

So if we rename roads using their various names, I think people will be confused. Ok to have those names as secondary names of course.

Living just off Highway 416, nobody really calls it “Veterans Memorial Highway” here, even though it’s the official name. If you ask a local how to get to Veterans Memorial Highway you’d probably get a blank look.
IMO it should have name=“Highway 416” with alt_name=“Veterans Memorial Highway”