Changesets reverts

FYI, User [шварц миша](https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/шварц миша/history) (“mouse mouse” according to Google translate) has created 3 changesets (65253949,65279617, and 65423499) named “test 1” with various fake objects and edits.

I have reverted them all.

:lol: шварц миша translates to Mike Schwartz, sounds like someone’s actual name.

It seems that user FuxDror has changed the Mossad into a sidewalk (https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/240240094/history). I believe it was changeset 67419134.
He’s also made other questionable changes - in Sweden and in United Arab Emirates.
Can someone revert please?

@tdctdctdc I’d suggest commenting on the actual changesets explaining exactly what the problem is (in this case, “you changed way xyz from a military area to a sidewalk”). These comments will be emailed to the mapper and will also appear at http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/osm-discussion-comments?uid=4290912 , so that other people will be aware of the problem too.

It may be a mistake (they’re a new mapper) or it may be deliberate; either way I’d try and “assume good faith” and be polite in a message or changeset comment. If they don’t mean well it’ll soon be obvious.

If no-one here sorts things out you can email the Data Working Group on data@osmfoundation.org to help with reversions, but you’ll need to be a bit more specific than “He’s also made other questionable changes - in Sweden and in United Arab Emirates” - " the Mossad into a sidewalk (https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/240240094/history)" is exactly the level of detail we’d need about a problem.

Best Regards,

Andy (from the DWG)

Seems like someone changed the designations again, for Highway 1, Highway 2, Highway 7 and others. It should probably be reverted unless there is a good reason for this or that road. As far as I know they are all motorways, not counting temporary works (e.g. on Highway 2).

It is not clear which sections of which roads were changed. I’ve checked a few places from memory and viewed their recordings on OpenStreetCam.

Road 1: According to the comment in changeset 69735931, the section of road 1 between Anava interchange and Sha’ar HaGay interchange is not a motorway. However, an OpenStreetCam trace taken in Aug-2018 shows that Sha’ar HaGay is a motorway interchange. I’ve left a request to the owner of the changeset asking him to join this discussion and clarify.

Road 2: South of Caesarea seems to be a trunk. An OpenStreetCam trace taken in Aug-2018 shows that Caesarea is a trunk interchange.

Road 7: An OpenStreetCam trace taken in Aug-2018 shows that it is a trunk.

Clearly, the traces are 9 month old. However, the OSM guideline is “Map what’s on the ground” and that’s the best evidence I could find.

For our reference, the OSM Israel wiki page says:

Highway 7: you are right, it is still considered a trunk, probably because they are still building two interchanges in the west (Nir Galim, Bnei Brit).

Highway 1 is now a designated motorway. Same with Highway 2, thought as I said, some parts are under repairs/expansions so there it’s not a motorway—but in that case we should add construction markings. The “normal” situation is that it’s a motorway.

However: the question is what we can consider a reliable source. If we were only mapping according to satellite or street cam imagery, we wouldn’t have a very comprehensive map. Sometimes we even import entire datasets from sources considered reliable, even though they have some mistakes. Is the company Mapa a reliable source? Is the Israel Mapping Institute? Each of these lists even more motorways, including parts of Highway 7, Highway 65 and Highway 77.

Highway 1 is now a designated motorway only west of Latrun, after that it is not (end-of-motorway signs and 90 instead of 110)…

I didn’t drive there recently, but this 2017 article claims that after the new lanes were opened, the permitted speed was raised:
https://news.walla.co.il/item/3070320

Again though, I ask what other mapping and non-mapping sources are considered “good enough”; especially with the understanding that we don’t usually have up to date street cam footage of every section of road, and designations / maximum speeds change faster than the rate at which we get such footage.

Initial mapping can be done with all kinds of free sources. Mapa an MAPI are NOT free sources. Moreover, they are usually less updated than OSM.

Everyone can use the OpenStreetCam app for Android and iOS to upload updated street pictures.

Maxmimal speed and start/end freeway signs are not relevant for road classification. Only the color of the road signs.

IMO when there is question, or a dispute, the “Map what’s on the ground” rule should be used. Take a visit or plan a trip, if needed. Otherwise, we are risking “edit wars”.

This Shoresh interchange sign, taken in Aug-2018 is green. Similarly for Kiryat Ye’arim. These “on the ground” pictures were taken more than a year after the Walla News article. Like in other areas and ministries, the MOT’s announcements on the news should not be taken too seriously.

I drive there daily, it’s positive that from Anava east it is 90 and no freeway signs.

I personally verified the following picture two days ago, arriving at Sha’ar HaGay from the South.

Road 1 is a “blue” motorway from Sha’ar HaGay towards Tel Aviv and a “red” trunk from Sha’ar HaGay towards Jerusalem.

I’ve updated the Anava to Sha’ar Hagay section of Road 1 accordingly in changeset 71297730.

Please, don’t!. There is no Motorway signs, so speed is 90 there!!! The color of overhead information does not define the speed limit!

@Sanniu,

We agree that the same road can have different speed limits and different colors and they do not always match.

After several long discussions in this forum, the community agreed to use the road sign color as the only source for determining the “highway” tag, and documented this decision in the Wiki:

The speed limit signs are used for the “maxspeed” tag:

A “highway” sign - , which is a shorthand for max speed and road access restriction, can impact the “maxspeed” tag, but not the “highway=motorway” tag:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/72336130 marked Ayalon North as motorway once more. Should that be reverted?
Also he forgot to mark all links, but this is another problem…

Does anybody knows user ar58?
He is very active, but did some very strange changes.
For example: in 72924785 he replaced existing roundabout with a traffic light junction (I was there before and after and roundabout is still exists)
and in 72924232 and 73507547 he deleted few roads only to recreate them again.

Left him PM more then week ago - no answer. Comment on changeset - same.

Delete-recreate change is not too bad, but it kind of losses way history, which may be very useful sometimes.
What do you think?

yrtiniD and I have commented on the changeset. Unless the user responds with a proof of a change in the on-the-ground road signs from blue to red, I would recommend a revert.

Should we mention somewhere in wiki the status of that part of Ayalon? And may be add the link to the comments of disputed road segments?
I suppose the change war there mostly because of lack of knowledge of local consensus existsence.

We can setup monitoring of any major road changes and notify (for example to telegram channel). Osm really lacks some kind of pull request flow :frowning:

Reverted. Changeset 74056483