Undiscussed imports of speed cameras

First of all, see this changeset. I know it’s from three years back. Should have took action for this, many years ago.

This undiscussed import came from a dubious source (Google app? What? Okay…). Getting things to be put into OpenStreetMap is not easy, but it doesn’t mean we don’t have to respect copyrights.

I’ve tried contacting this user through changeset comment, but no answers.

On top of that the quality of data is poor:

• The speed limit is either 110 km/h or 90 km/h. Some rural highways with a lower speed limit has a 110 km/h speed camera… really?

• Multiple speed cameras from elsewhere is clustered tightly in a certain location. Probably the actual location for these cameras is unavailable for an unknown reason, or it’s on the Null Island.

• Almost a thousand of them, wonder how much is inspected for accuracy, etc.

That’s a few things. There’s probably more… just letting everyone know that I’ll be removing them.

Definitely need to clean and clear those inaccurate speed / traffic cam POIs.

I think we need to update all the locations of 45 AWAS (previously called AES) speed / traffic cams.
www.jpj.gov.my/documents/portlet_file_entry/35811/LOKASI+PENGUATKUASAAN+KAMERA-+AwAS+.pdf/83f87b42-104c-28b2-02ba-e9660f777e68?status=0&download=true
www.data.gov.my/data/ms_MY/dataset/b4748083-d675-48e2-a6ea-d1d360e19b5e/resource/c8d10f72-1f80-4af9-a9f5-a6d36e5d1822/download/senarai-lokasi-aes-awas-jpj-di-lebuhraya-had-laju-mengikut-negeri.xlsx

Today, I did some arm chair mapping in Perlis, and stumbled upon a few such speed cameras on tertiary roads (or 100m away in rice fields). I was astonished by the speed limit of 110. Well, never did I drive a car in Malaysia, only my bicycle, so I did not care for speed limits, but 110 on rural roads seemed strange.
So I’d like to ask what you suggest to do with them - remove them or leave them?

I’ll definitely remove those. Sometimes you’ll find a bunch of them stacked on top of each other.

Heard from the news, currently there’s only 45 in operation. There’s none in operation in both Sabah and Sarawak.

Do take note that some of these are mapped manually from ground truth. Feel free to remove the rest, but be extra careful not to delete those manually surveyed ones.

Older news from Paul Tan’s Automotive News

The latest scoop (Malay news)

Took until today to wipe almost everything, manually. There should be none. If I screwed up something, please let me know!

I did try to revert the original changeset before, but so many warnings came up. Apparently, some of the node IDs were repurposed into different things and I just didn’t have the time to go through it all. Good job.