GRAB - Here we bloody go again !

Just spotted that this didn’t get a response earlier.

If you’re untangling a series of complicated edits where you need to reconcile the revert of a series of problematical edits with changes made after them, JOSM can be the best option, but as you’ve probably found it can get very complicated very fast when you have to keep in mind two different “mental pictures” of the data - OSM as it is now and OSM as it was before, and compare what JOSM says it is trying to do with both of those.

Another option are the revert scripts that the wiki talks about at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Revert_scripts . Those work well when you want to e.g. revert everything not touched by another mapper after the “problem” edit. It’s how I did the “unnamed tourist information” revert in https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/65626832 .

You do have the option of doing some processing on the data that you feed into the revert scripts (in the case of the big revert above I considered leaving POIs with names untouched, until I translated some of the names and got things like “experiment” as the name. That sort of processing can be done on the data before you feed it in to the revert scripts, and you can also do things programmatically with the output where it says “I couldn’t revert X because of Y” - it might be that for some values of Y you want to revert anyway.

@russ and @mishari

Confirmed for 17th 12-2pm. Will book my tickets accordingly as the last flight out for me to SG is at 5pm.

Looking forward to it!

It will be tight for me to get back from Pai by 12 noon, but I’ll do my best. Perhaps we can meet close to the airport to make it easier for your flight back, that way we can run on from 2pm if necessary. Rgds, Russ.

Hello Russ,

I know the frustration as a community member.
I know I am not part of this forum.
But I felt very bad seeing the language used by you in this public forum.
Appreciate if you can use better language in public forum.

OSM Volunteer
India

Tom, Johnny, AlaskaDave are you guys free? If not what’s a good date for you? Stephan are you in town?

A day or 2 later would be great for me if it fits with everyone else, incl Ajay.
Russ

I should be free most days in January. Although I’m regrettably not doing much Thailand mapping right now, preferring to work on Alaskan projects, I would definitely be willing to attend.

Dave

How about instead of meeting physically in CM we all have a discussion via hangout instead?

I would much rather meet face-to-face. However, I can appreciate the difficulty you will have to undergo getting here for a meeting of this type so I’m open to the idea.

Dave

Sorry, I can’t make it to a face to face meeting. Would be great if you could take some notes.
Also if grab plans to do some fixes, please document the rough timeline.

Thanks to all involved for the effort in improving the OSM quality.

Stephan

Hi Everyone,

@Russ @Stephankn will meeting on Hangouts work for you? How about the rest of you guys?

FYI I wanted to see who are the most experienced mappers in the Grab team so I created a CSV file with the Usernames and and sign up dates https://gist.github.com/mishari/07ebd09032c6ed1ebb69b17aeac208cf in case this is of interest to anybody.

Hi All,

THanks for all your responses. My tickets are all done, so I’ll be landing 16th late night and leave 17th at 5.20pm. Just let me know a spot anywhere and I’ll be there, if not happy to host you guys in the hotel coffee shop or lobby as well. Im yet to book my stay, but will keep the group posted if everyones cool?

OK Ajay, look forward to meeting you. Perhaps you could get a hotel that suits (close to airport if u like), and ask if we can use a small meeting area / corner of lobby etc for free.
I’ll get there as soon as I can (about 12 noon).
Can any other CM mappers make it ?

I am too ill to fight the antics of GlobalLogic/Grab: is there someone who is going to do something to defend the independence of OpenStreetMap and protect it from interference by unscrupulous mapping organisations?

That is not to say that corporate support is a bad thing, but when a company does bad edits and then sends 100 applications to the OSMF in an attempt to elect candidates that support their shoddy editing, then that needs investigating.

I should be in town on the 17th and if I am, I’ll plan to attend a 12-noon meeting.

Hi all,

I’m staying at the art Mai hotel. Why don’t we meet there around lunch time onwards on 17th? Looking forward to it :slight_smile:
My Thailand team lead is going to be there too.

Hi Russ and team.

We’re on our way to Chiang Mai. I m looking forward to seeing you all at the art Mai hotel at noon.

I’ll be there.

Dave

I will be there.
Russ