adding housenumbers with Maps.me

Hi,
as you might see i am currently working as pizzadriver. For the navigation i use an Android tablet with Maps.me.

Often (mostly) housenumbers are missing on the map and sometime it is really difficult to find a certain house.
So i would like to add house numbers to the map by editing via Maps.me on my Android tablet.
That would be great, but it is possible at all and how?

Any help or hints?

Thank you for working to add addresses to OSM. That is one place that needs a lot of love!

Not sure how to do that with Maps.me but I think you can with Vespucci. https://f-droid.org/en/packages/de.blau.android/

FWIW, AddressToGps https://f-droid.org/en/packages/me.danielbarnett.addresstogps/ uses Google’s geocoder and returns a location that can be opened in Maps.me to allow you to navigate to places where OSM does not yet have addresses.

My recommendation is that if the address is missing in Maps.me that you use Address2GPS to get your destination. Then once there use Vespucci to add the address(es) you find there to OSM.

Some time ago I used keypad mapper 3

IIRC Keypad Mapper 3 had an “anti-feature” as F-Droid likes to term it: It also collected RF information for OpenCellId. I’ve compiled a version of Keypad Mapper 2 without that feature that I use when walking about collecting address information.

I am not sure that it would be a good tool for the original poster as they are likely to be adding a single full address here and there rather than a set of numbers for an entire street. Also, Keypad Mapper generates a file which you then have to process in an editor (I use JOSM) while it is my understanding that Vespucci can directly add the data to the OSM website/database.

It seems you can do that with Maps.me with some limitations. What I found is:

• You can add house numbers to existing buildings or POIs. It does not work with all buildings, though (e. g. not for garages). Longpress on the feature, tap the white bar on the bottom showing some feature details and then tap “edit location” (or whatever the exact term is in English. I got a German version here).

• If no building or POI exists at that location you can add one. Again mark the location, tap the white ribbon saying unknown location and tap “add a location to the map”. Follow the instructions. There is only a limited range of options available to describe the object. “Appartments” or some shop might work for you. If nothing comes close you are out of luck and you shouldn’t add the thing.

Note that you have to create an OSM account to be able to upload the changes to the OSM database and make them available with the next map update. You can do that from within maps.me I believe or create it it on openstreetmap.org and login to it in maps.me.

Ok, nice to get some response.
On the map i see some streets with houses or buildings and there are the housnumbers written just in the drawing of the building. On some roads there are just the houses without the numbers and on other streets here are even the houses missing. But when i have an address to deliver to, i just can map the given housenumber directly to the buliding as long it is there on the map. This can be done just beside the job after delivery. Thats my idea. Get the order, go there, find it, and map it - especially the numbers, bechause the streets are mapped quite well.
this should work out directly from the tablet with maps.me. It will be too much work, to remember the orders and addresses and map all of it after the job from home on the desktop.
I used the option —add a location — before but as fas as i understood it is just added to my personal map-data on my tablet and not being sent to any kind of map source for update. Up to now i havent found the option —edtit location— yet. This might be possible on buildings already tagged as shops with addresses.
But i have allready learned that i will have to have my maps.me running with i-net connection. All of the tim i use the maps.me without any connection because its nice and easy to have a map-device just running offline.
I will keep on looking for a solution.

so i just tried it again with my tablet and maps.me.

i just picked a shop on the map, tapped it longer and got the white description. OK so far. but there is nothing to edit or add anyway. i might leave a review thats all.
next go was a house without number. tapped it an got the white description, nothing to edit or change, i only might view whats allready there.
At the moment im on WIFI, so i have my internet connection.

On houses without numbers it just says —building— and gives the option to leave a review.

thats all for now and no option to edit or add any kind of address or housenumber

[]You can add house numbers to existing buildings or POIs. It does not work with all buildings, though (e. g. not for garages). Longpress on the feature, tap the white bar on the bottom showing some feature details and then tap “edit location” (or whatever the exact term is in English. I got a German version here).[/]

On witch version of maps.me are you working? Im on 8.4.5 Google. I am using an english version.

[]If no building or POI exists at that location you can add one. Again mark the location, tap the white ribbon saying unknown location and tap “add a location to the map”. Follow the instructions. There is only a limited range of options available to describe the object. “Appartments” or some shop might work for you. If nothing comes close you are out of luck and you shouldn’t add the thing.[/]

OK, i found the option ----Appartments---- but in most of the streets its shown as —Building, (housenumber). If i had found the tag --Building-- i would have taken this. I think —Appartments— is used for a big house with lots of appartements in it.

I just red that you are from Leverkusen. So your native language is KÖLLSCH ?

You can also use street complete. When you are there you can add a OSM note with the houseumber and take a picture of the building. Then you or other mapper can add. With street complete you can also add other kind of data, which the app detects as missing (surface type, lights, lanes, names, etc)

Another related option, if you drive a lot, is to collaborate with openstreetcam http://openstreetcam.org/

Pizzadriver, you might want to have a look at the maps.me knowledge base. There it says:

Do I have to be online/registered with OpenStreetMap.org before I can add or edit info on the map?*
You can add or edit data offline, without registration. Your edits will be saved on your device. However, if you want your changes to be available for other users, you should log in with your account or register. Open the app settings → OpenStreetMap profile, where you can log in with Google, Facebook or your OSM account.*

I do speak some Kölsch indeed, but not quite as good as my seniors. :wink:

yes i read it - more than once.

and i have an openstreetmap account and i can login via maps.me

Now i found out whats missing. On my maps.me i can expand the white panel but i dont get this EDIT PLACE button.
its just not there.
When i use in the main menue, i can add eg. store, bank appartements, but no building. after this dialog i can log into openstreetmap account and save to OSM.
I did it yesterday. I added a vet doctor, that worked out and its allready on the map.

But up to now i cant EDIT a building. And i even updated my maps.me yesterday. maybe there is a hidden option somewhere in the settings but i havent found it yet.

No! the EDIT button is not there. Where can it be, how can i make it visible?

Im on Huawei Android tablet T1-701, Android 4.4.2

OK, you might practice it or just drink it :-))
I prefer ALT.

Hey news!
I started my maps.me after the complete update (APP and maps) and now i have the edit button in the white panel.
Today i try my best and report my success or failure here :slight_smile:

over the last two days i started mapping with maps.me.

It worked ! Great.

I could add housenumbers, a buisenes and i even coud save it to OSM.

At the moment im not realy familiar with the method of logging in.
I use the maps.me on Android without any internet or mostly without GPS.

But i can use it like the vintage paper map. Find my place, look it up and go there.

After the update it is possible to EDIT places, fine. To save it on OSM i will have to log in. Then i connect to the internet by wifi (mostly), start my NakedBrowser, navigate to OSM and login there.

This seems to work out. All my changes to the map are visible on OSM now. I exactly dont know how Maps.me communicates with the Browser-APP, but it seems to work.

Yesterday i found a street, where no houses are mapped anyway, so i could not add housenumbers. I will have to add the houses first.
When i found out how to do it, i will even add this little street in the middle of nowhere.
Adding things on Maps.me might be challenging.

So far thank you all for the help.

Hey, pizzadriver, the problem you had with MapsMe is quite simple. It has a built in mechanism to prevent editing if the map is outdated (older then one month if I remember correctly). The maps usually get update with the new release of the App. And with the previous release we had no update for about 2 months already. So nobody using MapsMe could edit OSM. Just FYI for the future.

StreetComplete does ask for a housenumber if detects a building without one.

hey guys,
everything seems to be working so far.
but i face another thing that is strange to me.

Once i mapped the housenumbers in one street from 1 to 25. OK worked.
Now i look at just this street on my desktop firefox.
Housenumber 1 is just visible in zoomlevel 19 and thats all.
The other housenumbers are visible only in the zoomlevel 17.
An other street i added housenumbers its different. All the housenumbers are visible in level 17, 18, 19

So whats this? Is the display depending on the zoomlevel and how do i adjust it?
I looked at this on the browser with potlatch and there is no difference in the tags.
Did i do something (wrong)?

Ok, i know it now ! Recently we had an update again. But it only updated the main APP not the maps.
The APP now contains commercial ads.
Ok, i offerd them to pay the paid plan with bitcoin or dash but they did not want this. so i dont pay for the moment :slight_smile:

First of all it’s up to the renderer of th map which features to display at which zoom level. Looking at the map on openstreetmap.org, in Maps.me or in any other web or app map will always be different. If two features come close to each other the renderer will often only show one and subdue the other. If house numbers are superimportant to you you need to experiment which map does it best for you.

Secondly, openstreetmap.org ha been experiencing some serious performance issues lately. Some newly mapped features do not show up on the map for days currently.