Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

That patch applies to routing instructions only - is your issue with general GPSr map display, or routing instructions in particular?

Both, really. In MapSource, only the highway shield appears, or the text “Or8” on mouseover. In directions, it refers only to the road as “OR8”.

OSM link

MapSource example

The data:

* highway: secondary
* maxspeed: 35 mph
* name: Southwest Tualatin Valley Highway
* name_1: Oregon Route 8
* ref: OR8
* tiger:cfcc: A31
* tiger:county: Washington, OR
* tiger:name_base: Tualatin Valley
* tiger:name_base_1: State Highway 8
* tiger:separated: no
* tiger:source: tiger_import_dch_v0.6_20070808
* tiger:tlid: 158207930
* tiger:upload_uuid: bulk_upload.pl-fa49a608-adf2-4338-8828-4f80569842cc

From the stylesheet, I’d expect it to display like this:

{OR8} Southwest Tualatin Valley Highway

Stylesheet rule:

highway=secondary {name ‘${ref|highway-symbol:oval} ${name}’ | ‘${ref|highway-symbol:oval}’ | ‘${name}’ }

I noticed this same thing on some Garmin maps I was making. I think its caused by the highway shields, as the Garmin can’t display those as well as the name at the same time. I fixed it by setting the “display_name” for the highways. eg a style rule like this:

highway=primary {name '${ref|highway-symbol:box} ${name}' | '${ref|highway-symbol:box}' | '${name}'; add display_name = '${ref} - ${name}' }

That was basically the second part of the patch, and it apparently never made it into the default stylesheet.

(In case you’re wondering if I read this… I’ve forwarded this to the Mkgmap mailinglist)

Edit: The change has been committed and should be visible on the next map update (next weekend).

Hi, What’s wrong with the Australia maps? installed them and no tracks, roads nothing show’s up, and the file size is very small compared to what they used to be.

Something went wrong while uploading the latest update to the webserver: only 145 of the 764 tiles are uploaded. The service is offline until all the tiles are uploaded. Thanks to all the people who reported the problem (via email or the forum).

I noticed today that Ways with “highway=path” are not being shown on the Garmin map output. Is this intentional, or is there just a missing style rule?

I’m not sure what’s the cause, the default style does seem to process the path’s, maybe they’ll show up if you increase the level of detail?

That’s exactly the issue. The resulting Garmin map elements for highway=path are shown at 800ft at tighter zoom levels on my Garmin Etrex HCx when detail is set to “More”. At normal, they’re shown only on 500ft and tighter. One trail I was looking at is partly highway=track and part highway=path and half of it appeared to be “missing” on the map until I zoomed in or turned up the detail setting.

Ok, these issues are very sensitive. You’d want a map that has as much info available without becoming a big blob of lines. I can understand the decision made to render the path less prominent as the stylesheet used is a generic stylesheet (no specific target audience). I hope setting the detail setting to more will suit you…

Yeah, I understand the issues at play here, especially on low-color, limited resolution screens. I’m thinking mkgmap should probably do something smarter when a relation contains ways with different maximum zoom levels in order to avoid having part of a route disappear as one zooms out. Also, it would be nice if it could boost the maximum zoom level for lone ways in otherwise empty areas of the map. I’ll investigate fixing both of these issues in mkgmap as my time permits.

I’m running a website to support OpenStreetMap in the Brazilian community (www.mapaslivres.org) and the thing that atracts a lot of new users is the download area for Garmin Maps, but its hard to keep it updated.

Is there a way to link directly to the latest maps for Brazil?

I can mirror it too, but I cannot see a fixed directory structure to do that.

Thanks,
Vitor

You are correct, there is no fixed directory structure: the directory name is a combination of map date and md5sum from the concatenated tile names. The number of tiles and tilenumbers for a country change often thus changing the md5sum). I can do the following things:

Would any of these options be helpful?

Note: none of the countries or other combination of tiles are pre-rendered on each update, there is simply not enough disk space available to do so. So there will always be someone who is the first to request a certain map configuration (e.g Brasil) and who will need to enter his/her email address.

It seems very goog to me, but the e-mail request can be a problem. We want to provide a (almost) daily update for the maps of Brazil because the map is changing very fast. Maybe the best option would run a script like yours in our server.

How often do you run the script?

Yes, it’s probably best to generate your own map on your own server.

Normally. once a week based upon the weekly planet dump.

when going to site “http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php”, i do not get the field to enter an email address - which prevents me - I guess - to make use of downloading any map. am i correct? do i need to do something to get the field visible or is there another way to download the maps for roadtrip?
thanks,

Did you select some tiles or a country first? If you do, then there should find on the left of the map, below the menu, either A) a field in which you can enter your email address or B) a link to the download directory.

thanks for this and yes i do get the ‘download’ option. i thought it would send the files to a folder on my computer, though it seems to be trying to send it to my GPS device. is this how it works - i would prefer to have it sent to my mac first and then upload it to my garmin.

Click on the ‘download’ option and then download the ‘osm_routable_roadtrip.zip’ file. You can use MapInstall to install the map in RoadTrip/BaseCamp (but I don’t have a Mac, so you’ll have to read the manual for that).