Stolpersteine tagging scheme problem

Sorry, I don’t fully understand what did you try to propose?

It might be good to welcome projects, but Tagging is the place where we discuss tagging. Otherwise discussion would never end - see my comment about rendering discussion:

https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=713157#p713157

OSM is decentralized ecosystem and what I want is more effective ways of making decisions. Constant asking everywhere is just backing up your decisions, not a tool to do things. We need some hubs for this. When talking about rendering, come to the OSM Carto issue trackers. When talking about tagging, we go to the Tagging list. There are still no guarantees that someone will not make a decision that will affect you - it’s the core rule of decentralized projects like OSM is now.

carto want to switch from memorial:type to memorial … that’s fine … but what is with all the other small projects which use memorial:type and don’t read the tagging mailing list or other community channels? in this case the only opportunity is tag both memorial and memorial:type (for backwards compatibility)

If they are not interested, they don’t have to, but it’s their responsibility what to do.

These are drawbacks of decentralized ecosystem. If you want other decision making, change the OSM into more centralized structure. There is no easy solution either way.

I have already agreed to that above, but i don’t think it’s that easy! And no, i personally don’t want to have other decision making, but i think you should be aware of what other will think about the “big” carto, if carto just do it (memorial:type>memorial) :wink:

So what do you do in decentralized projects? Did you actually try it? Because I made such attempts and I know there are always limits of what you could do.

That’s what I already did with this issue:

1. We had some idea on OSM Carto and we could just change rendering, because we have autonomy, but…
  2. I asked German community what they think about idea, but someone thought it’s better to go to Tagging, so…
  3. I went to Tagging list and still it looks promising, but you think it’s not enough…

…do you see the pattern? You don’t need to do anything, but there’s always something you could do and you didn’t.

Did you ever try to make decision by yourself with 3 separate discussions? Is 3 levels deep “OSMception” still too few of them?..

It’s a clear case for me. Thanks 2 all of u for the input. Whatever the outcome of this discussion, I am confident that the new symbol for Stolpersteine will be an improvement over the current tombstone thingy.

Nur so BTW, anyone knows Stolpersteine?

Selbstverständlich ist uns wumpe ob das Ding nun memorial=stolperstein oder memorial:type=stolperstein heißt, wenn beides signifikant gemappt wird, rendern wir eben beides. Persönlich finde ich memorial= auch konsistenter aber das ist Geschmacksache.

Schade daß aus einer einfachen Frage wieder eine Grundsatzdiskussion gemacht wird. Die Fronten verhärten sich automatisch und am Ende setzt sich der Lautstärkste durch (nicht zwingend die Meinungsmehrheit).

Gruß,
Zecke

I don’t see people discussing the merits of the proposed change (memorial=stolperstein seems to be preferred scheme). Discussion if the rendering team is allowed to propose such changes seems to end with warning “be aware that people might not like it” and I’m aware of it, but I think enough care has been taken to discuss it with people interested in tagging schemes.

I think now it’s the time to move on with the change. I guess it should be:

1. Change the documentation on https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Stolpersteine (it’s in German, so I prefer somebody speaking German to touch it)
  2. Make the automated edit of tagged objects according to the https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits_code_of_conduct (I had no previous experience with that, so if anyone else wants to take care, it would be much easier)

Edit won’t have any impact on rendering, it will improve once https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/3356 is merged and deployed with the new OSM Carto version.

What do you think about this plan? Any other ideas or help?

I can’t help with the German documentation either. I can adapt Dutch documentation, where stolpersteine are mentioned. I have raised the issue in the Dutch forum: the only caution was that memorial:type currently has more usage. No-one made a problem of me adding nodes tagged memorial=stolperstein, or with existing stolperstein nodes, adding the more consistent simple tag.

When retagging takes off, I could do it for Nederland if someone tells me how to do automatic replace, after proper discussion.

Wo wir gerade beim Thema sind:
Viele Stolpersteine in meiner Gegend sind neben historic=memorial zusätzlich mit tourism=artwork getaggt. Letzteres passt doch nicht, oder? Als öffentliche Kunst kann ich das nicht einordnen, für mich gehören die Steine eindeutig in den Denkmal-Bereich.

Naja, suche mal nach “Kunstwerk in Kettwig”.

Fändest Du es als Anwender gut, wenn dann neben den 5 “echten” öffentlichen Kunstwerken noch 50 Stolpersteine angezeigt werden?

eher nicht :wink:

Ist die neue Tagging-Variante memorial=stolperstein eigentlich nun offiziell?

Das Wiki ist da sehr uneinheitlich:

(Liste ohne Anspruch auf Vollständigkeit.)

Hier hat sich noch nichts getan. Werde dann mal in Essen putzen und Artwork entfernen. Complaints bitte hier rein.

Hintergrund war meine Kontrolle ob sich im Rendering der Stolpersteine schon was getan hat. Dem scheint nicht der Fall zu sein, die Steine werden noch immer bis Z17 gemalt.

Well, nothing has changed since then and I still feel the tagging could be improved (or at least unified).

Eine Vereinheitlichung wird nur zustande kommen,
wenn OpenStreetMap Carto nur noch memorial=stolperstein mit extra Symbol auswertet…

Grüße von Lutz

insbesondere “stört” mich an OSM Carto zur Zeit aber auch, dass tourism=artwork Renderingpriorität vor historic=memorial überhaupt hat. Ich hatte das mit dem Tagging schon mal bereits mit einem bestimmten Stolpersteinetagging-User, der mit g anfängt (vielleicht wisst ihr, wen ich meine :wink: ) diskutiert. Dieser meinte dann “nur”, dass die Steine ja auch Kunstobjekte seien und tourism=artwork berechtigt sei. Nur ist es so, dass wir uns ja auch bei anderen Denkmälern wohl eher sträuben sollten, diese zusätzlich als Kunstwerk zu taggen. Für mich steht immer der Haupt-Zweck im Vordergrund. Die Leute sollen wenn dann ja eher andächtig den Verbrechen gedenken, als dort einen tieferen Kunst-Sinn zu suchen oder zu sagen “Wow, sieht das toll aus!” :wink:

Oder?

Schade, dass sich da noch keiner gefunden hat. Prinzipiell ist es doch eine gute Sache, wenn man ein spezifisches Tagging, was sich mal gebildet hat, an ein allgemein gebräuchlicheres Tagging anpasst. Dann ist es nicht nur für Carto, sondern auch für alle anderen “Dienste” einfacher bestimmte Dinge auf ihren Karten direkt richtig darzustellen, als zig Ausnahmen zu definieren.

Vielleicht wirkt solch eine Aufgabe irgendwie sehr “groß”, sage ich mal. Das könnte aus meiner Sicht eine Erklärung sein.

Ich werde dann übrigens mal Stolpersteine, die ich selbst vor Ort sehe, zu memorial=stolperstein umtaggen…