Stolpersteine tagging scheme problem

Having two tagging schemes for one purpose has little merit. Since the alternatives have no impact on the actual rendering result, that’s no issue.

Fitting in with general usage is an advantage. Simplicity is an advantage. No information is lost or altered by any of the proposed schemes. Retagging is not a problem in this case.

Agree with kocio, especially point 5 and 6.

In my own words, any attempt to actually use the OSM data (in this case, memorial type) is an opportunity, not a threat, to realitycheck if a tagging scheme is sound and whether it could be straightened up, by removing duplicate tagging methods, in this case.

There will always be some reason/occasion for a push to discuss a tagging scheme, some driven by an attempt to map something specific, some by an attempt to actually use the data.

I can follow imagico’s line of argumentation, but I do not share his fear for this case: kocio-pl did not create facts but analysed the situation and put it to discussion, I find both his motivation to straighten up the tagging scheme and his method very commendable.
Also, the actual topic at hand is not exactly controversial (as can also be seen by the comments so far), it is a simple case of two synonymous taggings of which one could be removed, that’s it.
Let’s all be happy that someone is actually tackling this. :slight_smile:

Please don’t make assumptions on my motivation for arguing the way i do - this is frankly both arrogant and demeaning and it demonstrates a lack of willingness to deal with the arguments in substance and instead deflecting by speculating about my motives.

Als neulich Frederik Ramm mehr Rücksicht auf die Belange der Renderer gefordert hat, kam da kein Widerspruch. Ich zitiere unten mal ein wenig. Vielleicht sollte sich die OSM Boheme erstmal einig werden, sonst wird mir vor lauter Richtungswechseln ganz schwindlig.

Edit: Achja, I really appreciate that the maintainer of a rendering style discuss it with the parties concerned. It should happen more often. However, with this experience in mind I doubt he will do it again.

You’re right, speculations about motives are not necessary, sorry. But using words like “arrogant” works the same for me - and you’re not even dealing with arguments, which is what I’d like to hear instead.

@SunCobalt: This particular problem is very specific and related mainly to Germany, but there’s dozen more communities in OSM, so it’s not possible in general. It would be better if people willing to work on OSM Carto come to discuss things there:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pulls

@SunCobalt - mir scheint, dass Deine Verwirrung aus einer Vermischung der konkreten Tagging-Frage (die mir ehrlich gesagt völlig schnurze ist) und der grundsätzlichen Frage von verantwortungsvollem Gebrauch von Macht und Einfluss in OpenStreetMap resultiert. Die von Dir zitierten Bemerkungen beziehen sich auf Tagging-Entscheidungen und was Mapper bei diesen berücksichtigen sollten. Meine Bemerkungen bezogen sich hingegen darauf, dass hier eben gerade keine Diskussion unter Mappern stattfindet, was das optimale Tagging ist, sondern dass aus einer Position von Macht und Einfluss (und unter Geltendmachung hiervon) der Wunsch geäußert wird, ein bis jetzt nicht kontroverses Tagging zu ändern. Es ist jedem unbenommen, die vorgeschlagene Tagging-Änderung gut zu finden und es ist auch jedem unbenommen, zusätzlich dazu gut zu finden, dass jemand seinen Einfluss als Stil-Maintainer nutzt, um eine solche Änderung zu forcieren. Mein Ratschlag war lediglich, sich zu beiden Themen bewusst eine Meinung zu bilden und sich klar zu machen, dass es hier eben nicht nur um die Frage geht, wie genau Stolpersteine getaggt werden.

Mag sein. Nach meinem Gefühl sind die beiden Fälle jetzt nicht so grundverschieden wie Du darstellst. Und ich würde jetzt bei Daniel Koc jetzt keinen unverantwortungsvollem Gebrauch von Macht und Einfluss oder Erpressung unterstellen oder ihn auch nur in die Nähe rücken.

Vielleicht bin ich der einzige der das so empfindet, aber ich habe Deine Beiträge nicht als Ratschlag aufgefasst, sondern als Versuch, die Deutungshoheit auf ziemlich aggressive Art und Weise zu erlangen. Mag anders gemeint sein und wir können bestimmt lange über den Gebrauch verschiedener Stilmittel reden, aber so ist es bei mir angekommen.

Ob Du der einzige bist, der das so sieht, weiß ich nicht, aber ich finde den jetzt schon wieder im Vordergrund stehenden Versuch, die Diskussion weg von den inhaltlichen Argumenten hin zu Spekulationen über Motive zu lenken (Versuch, Deutungshoheit zu erlangen) schon etwas merkwürdig. Wie gesagt: Jeder ist frei eine andere Meinung zum Thema zu haben und sie in welcher Form auch immer zu vertreten (nur halt bitte ohne Unterstellungen zu meinen Motiven). Dabei meine Meinung einfach zu ignorieren ist auch völlig ok wenngleich ich es natürlich bevorzugen würde, wenn sich Leute argumentativ mit meiner Sichtweise auseinandersetzen. Und ich habe schon die Hoffnung, dass der ein oder andere hier sich vielleicht über eine andere Perspektive auf das Thema freut und sie als Bereicherung und Anregung zum Nachdenken empfindet. Mit Deutungshoheit hat das aber null Komma nichts zu tun.

We were discussing tagging schemes for Stolpersteine?

Moin,

da mir das Thema sehr am Herzen liegt https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:MychOSM/Saarburg und wir in dem Bereich einiges gemacht haben darf ich einmal ganz naiv fragen, ob man nicht einmal emotionsneutral die Vor- und Nachteile einer solchen Änderung - nein nicht diskutieren - sondern auflisten kann.

Wenn ich die Gegenstimmen bisher verstanden habe, geht es eigentlich nur darum, dass man prinzipiell dagegen ist. Oder habe ich das falsch verstanden?

Ich bin voll dafür dass man die Gelegenheit (Standard-Stil möchte memorial nach dem SubType differenzieren) nutzen sollte, die deutsche Sonderlocke zu eliminieren. :stuck_out_tongue:

Die Gegenstimmen (zB es wird der Zeitstempel verfälscht) haben mich nicht überzeugt.

Not anymore…

Welcome to the German OSM forum :laughing:

(Edit: Oh, there is a second page, nvm)

Sorry for the English…mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut. My goal is to tag all the Stolpersteine in Nederland as simple as possible. I think I will adopt the general usage of the historic tag, even though the German standard usage is slightly different. If there is a different outcome of this discussion, retagging is not much of a problem. But given the trend in the direct reactions, I think I am safe there.

ok. on the one hand you (the maintainers) want to eliminate memorial:type=*. on the other hand you implented tower:type along to man_made=mast :roll_eyes: i can’t see any clear line of such decisions.

and yes, i think memorial:type could easly transferred to memorial (we need no special tag for germany in this case) … but tower:type, too. and no, i wouldn’t accept an answer like “because it was widely in use”.

ps: i don’t want to know what a newbie thinks about the subtype tower:type at man_made=mast…

To be clear: no, I don’t want to eliminate memorial:type=* - this is not what I want as my goal. It’s just one possible solution of having more coherent tag for memorial types.

There are thousands of keys in OSM and there’s no hope to standardize them all. I could blame “any tag you like” rule or be angry at people not trying to see the problem. But I try smaller, local cleaning, because it is perfectly possible. I don’t believe in a broader scope of cleaning - it will stop in a big discussion IMO. And I don’t want more discussions without the output, I prefer smaller steps, but let they be realistic.

It’s just the easiest way to start - ask people if a tag for a single type of objects could be changed. And it sounds like it’s the solution people agree with.

A newbie will just click the icon in iD probably. And what do you think, how will newbie feel that there is memorial:type mainly for Stolperstein, and memorial for other types? We just have to live with a database people create. Maybe one day the most typical keys and values will be standardized, but until then let’s fix what is possible to fix.

I’ve started tagging Stolpersteine in Nederland, following an online list of gravestones of type stolperstein

Some have already been mapped, sometimes in the memorial=stolperstein notation, sometimes the memorial:type way. Some have name=, some have memorial:text=, some have memorial:addr and some have image=

In these cases I just add memorial=stolperstein.

another problem is, that we don’t know (*) who already use memorial:type … in my view, anyone who uses keys is responsible for checking that the keys still exists

(*) you could invite projects to this discussion, which use memorial:type.

Sorry, I don’t fully understand what did you try to propose?

It might be good to welcome projects, but Tagging is the place where we discuss tagging. Otherwise discussion would never end - see my comment about rendering discussion:

https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=713157#p713157

OSM is decentralized ecosystem and what I want is more effective ways of making decisions. Constant asking everywhere is just backing up your decisions, not a tool to do things. We need some hubs for this. When talking about rendering, come to the OSM Carto issue trackers. When talking about tagging, we go to the Tagging list. There are still no guarantees that someone will not make a decision that will affect you - it’s the core rule of decentralized projects like OSM is now.

carto want to switch from memorial:type to memorial … that’s fine … but what is with all the other small projects which use memorial:type and don’t read the tagging mailing list or other community channels? in this case the only opportunity is tag both memorial and memorial:type (for backwards compatibility)