Map on Garmin Base Camp but not on the device

Dear all,

hello to everyone, I am new here and looking for some help :slight_smile: I would really appreciate if someone could help me solve this issue.

I downloaded the map(s) of Thailand and I want to install them on my Garmin Drive 51.

I downloaded the installer and the *.img, then I copied the *.img into the Garmin folder in the “G” microSD. In such folder there is therefore this *.img file of around 200mb.

I then open Base Camp, and tried to install the map into my device.

Here comes the problem

1. where should I install the map? in the micro SD? or in device memory? There is space both in the device and in the microSD.
  2. the installation I suppose would take several minutes, while it takes only a few seconds… and indeed there is no *.img file installed on the device but only a “OSM generic routable” file that is indeed empty, being it only 4mb.

In conclusion, the map is correctly installed in Basecamp (I can zoom it and see the details), while there is nothing there in the device. More funny, I can find roads and names if I do a search on the device but there are no roads displayed when I zoom in.

So, what am I doing wrong in the installation? Why the map is not displayed on the device?

ps. I have also screenshots, but I can’t understand how to add pictures here…

I hope my question is clear.

Thanks a lot,
Davide

Hi Davide,

probably this post in the garmin sub forum helps:
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=62468

Gerd

You already installed the map when you copied the .img file to the SD card in the device. There’s nothing else you need to do. If you did do something else, you may have inadvertently overwritten something that led to the map not working. I’d go back and re-copy the .img file to the SD card, delete the basically-empty .img from the internal storage, and then make sure the map displays correctly on the device.

Dear both,

thank you for the quick answers. Indeed the problem was related to the Basecamp version. I used 4.6.2 as suggested and the map is there at the first shot.

Thanks again for the help :slight_smile:

Davide