Incorrect names of villages

I’m Czech tourist traveling in North India in Kinaur region. I wrote to the Czech support forum and was told that it would be better to contact the Indian group here, so here I’m.

I’m newbie in mapping, but I use vector maps from OpenAndroMaps (based on OSM maps) in smartphone app Locus. I really like this combination, but I realized that some information are incorrect. For example the I’m in village incorrectly named as neighbor village, which doesn’t have name on the map (I check the names with guide who was born in mentioned village and who knows the area quite good). Or a village I was is about 3 kilometers away and about 700 m lower (altitude) than it is on the map. Also some villages I cross doesn’t have names (I made OSM notes via my phone, so it can be fixed).

Now, as I wrote I’m newbie in mapping and I don’t want to break anything, so I would like to ask what is the best way to correct the names of villages? Also I don’t have access to fast internet connection, so I’m not able to download any bigger apps in case they are needed.

Hey, welcome to OSM :slight_smile:

Anyone can update OSM given that they have the place verified in person or via images shared by others using Mapillary kind of apps, or if they are well aware of the locality as in they are the natives.

Since you have a verified information from a native, I don’t see any issue of a Czech person updating in India, as long as you k mention where the information is sourced. Maybe put it in changeset comment to start with.

I would advise you to try the OSMdroid app. It downloads the selected state and you can work on it. Only the changes you made will be updated to OSM server. If there are any updates on OSM server, they will be downloaded and not the entire state. It will consume a tiny amount of data for the updates and works well when you net speed is slow.

Cheers,
Srihari

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the answer.

I tried the OSMdroid app, because I thought I could edit maps from it, but it seems it is not the case. Anyway I was out of internet connection in Spiti for couple of weeks, so I wasn’t able to download any map updates anyway. In the end I used Locus, because I had offline map in it and because I know how to work with it. I created plenty of notes in it which I try to solve now, when I’m back home.

Anyway, one more thanks for the help.