garmin.openstreetmap.nl mkgmap

Which mkgmap command line should I use to build generic routable (new style) maps with tiles from garmin.openstreetmap.nl?

If you’re downloading from garmin.openstreetmap.nl, then mkgmap has already been run. That’s what the site uses to create the map tiles.

Yes, I have already downloaded maps from garmin.openstreetmap.nl.

When all servers are busy I want
Enable manual tile selection = YES
Download tiles
Run mkgmap localliy.

mkgmap is used for converting raw OSM data into Garmin .img map tiles. That website already performs this process for you, so running mkgmap again on the downloaded map tiles doesn’t make any sense and isn’t possible.

Are you downloading the Garmin map tiles individually from the left side of that site after you’ve selected them? I’ve never understood why one would want those, because there’s a bunch of work you need to do to use them. It’s far easier to select the tiles you want, enter your email address, and let the website build the full gmapsupp.img and installers for you.

mkgmap --gmapsupp builds maps from .img tiles.
What are the other mkgmap options used for generic routable (new style) maps.

Sometimes garmin.openstreetmap.nl server queues are full.
Then it is much faster to run mkgmap locally.

If you have the img tiles you can use this tool:
http://osm.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/openfietsmap/OSM_Combiner/readme.html

Thanks a lot for the link.
I would like to use the tool with Java under Linux.

Hi! Another, but to some extent related question:
Which tool can I use if I want to add, let’s say, the **–split-name-index ** option to my existing IMG map downloaded from garmin.openstreetmap.nl? Does such tool exist or I have to fully recompile the whole map with mkgmap tool?
Thank you.

You can use gmaptool to split a gmaapsupp into multiple *.img files and use something like
java -jar mkgmap.jar --index --split-name-index --gmapsupp *.img to rebuid the gmapsupp.

Many thanks, it does work. However, with one minor remark: before the recompilation it’s also needed to extract TYP-file from IMG with GMapTool and add it to the build command:

java -jar mkgmap.jar --index --split-name-index --gmapsupp my_map.typ *.img

Also, it turned out that compiling from scratch the same map as at garmin.openstreetmap.nl can easily be done using arguments from here:
https://github.com/ligfietser/mkgmap-style-sheets

Thanks for the clarification :slight_smile:
I think I’ll look at this again this summer, there should be no need to use another tool, the source code to extract the data from a gmapsupp.img is already done.

Edit: I think …