Complex Speed Limit tagging

Great Brian this makes complete sense. One final question. I suspect times are UTC, not local. Correct?

Times are always local.

Excellent, thanks hadw! I think I’m set. Will begin using this practice and ask back if any issues. Thanks for the help!

It’s probably worth investigating the iD editor (the default editor on osm.org) before 2020 comes and Flush stops getting any security updates (or any updates at all). Given that vulnerabilities in Flush appear on a regular basis (see https://www.csoonline.com/article/3158488/security/are-the-adobe-flash-vulnerabilities-leaving-you-feeling-scared.html) it’s a really bad idea to run Flush without security updates. Not only that, newer versions of browsers won’t run Flush unless you explicitly install and/or enable it.

Ohh that one. Can’t use it. No multi-select, we’d be here for years editing limits. Horrible UX speed for that unfortunately. Will have to keep using Potlatch2 until it dies or they improve iD. Thanks for bringing this to attention.

Or try JOSM or Merkaartor. I’ve not used either of them so I don’t know if they can do what you want. I suspect JOSM can (might need a plugin) but that’s just a guess. Somebody will be along soon to correct me. :slight_smile:

Tried JOSM and couldn’t download data for some reason, didn’t give it a full shot because Potlatch just worked point and shoot for me. Will look into this Merk one too. Great suggestion. New to OSM so appreciate all the help. Very very powerful platform! Very thankful for it

Try again with JOSM. The king of editors. Worth the effort to get up the learning curve.

Thanks for the push Viajero. I will do. If I have any problems I’m going to ping you guys here in this thread as JOSM is related here. Thanks for all of your wisdom so far.

This is not true.

In-browser Flash Player is deprecated. The desktop Flash runtime (Adobe AIR) is not deprecated. P2 is being transitioned from the former to the latter.

I stand corrected. However…

A few thoughts

1. I don’t have AIR. Or have a need for it.

2. AIR isn’t even supported for my OS, and the last release available for my OS is from 2011, so I couldn’t have a bug-free, secure version even if I wanted it (I don’t).

3): AIR shares the same codebase as Flush, so is just as buggy and insecure. Given Adobe’s track record, it will always be buggy and insecure.

1. People will either have to install AIR runtime in order to use it or put up with larger downloads where the runtime is bundled into the app. Unless you offer unbundled, or are prepared to offer a bundle with the 2011 runtime for Linux, I won’t be able to use it even if I wanted to (I don’t).

2. I tried P2. It made it hard to do things I wanted to do that were easy in iD. I expect it makes some things easy that are hard in iD but back when I gave P2 a try I didn’t encounter any.

3. JOSM does more, and does it better (so I’m told). It runs on Java, and I despise Java, but Java is not as bad/buggy/insecure as Flush/AIR.

So it’s nice to know P2 will continue to be available after 2020, but I won’t be using it. Perhaps others will. I’d advise them not to, based simply on Adobe’s track record for security holes.

I’m not quite sure why I should remotely care what editor you choose to use?

It depends whether you prefer that software match the needs of its users or the egos of its authors.

a) That is really, really unnecessarily hostile

b) You’re not a P2 user. You’ve said so. That’s fine. OSM has lots of editing software. That’s good. Choice is good. There are people who like P2. You’re not one of them. No software suits everyone. I’m totally failing to see what the issue is here.

We have something in common, then. I thought your response of

to be unnecessarily hostile, in a passive-aggressive sort of way. I responded in a similar manner, but I was making a point: there are developers who respond to the needs of their users and there are those who do not.

I tried it for a time when iD was broken for some users with certain hardware. I’m not currently a user because it wouldn’t let me do what I wanted to do, something that was easy in iD. And I am a potential user. Well, I suppose that’s definitely in the past tense, now. Was a potential user. After this thread, that potential is no longer there. The dependence on seriously bug-ridden Adobe s/w put it way down my list; the inability to do what I wanted moved it even lower; with this thread it’s no longer on the list and will never re-appear on the list. You’re happy with that, and so am I.

Brian, I believe we operate from shared values, as I’ve certainly been vocally critical of Flash in the past. Still, your posts have felt rather dismissive towards people like Richard who invest countless hours of their time in the development of OSM editors.

Richard most likely has a thicker skin than I do, but as a developer, let me say that it can be very hurtful to have your work devalued. On the whole, the OSM community strikes me as a friendly and welcoming bunch, and I hope we all continue to hold ourselves to a high standard of behaviour.

Also, let’s keep in mind that Potlatch is no longer the default editor, and Flash is no longer a real danger to open internet standards. So the stakes just aren’t all that high anymore. Today, both are a relatively niche option that people can seek out voluntarily. I’m a JOSM user, but I’m still grateful for the diversity of editors available to the mapper community. Choice, healthy competition, and mutual inspiration are beneficial for the project as a whole.

@bodaggin: Sorry that your thread got derailed a bit (and that I’m ultimately contributing to the off-topic content with this post). I believe your initial question has been answered, and if you have any further questions I’m sure people will be glad to help! In the meantime, I hope you enjoy mapping, no matter which editor works best for you. :slight_smile:

Been there, done that, thrown away the T-shirt. But the converse is also true. As a user, it can be very hurtful to have your comments devalued. I twice mentioned that when iD was broken for some of us, I tried P2 and found it unable to do what I wanted to do, something which was very easy in iD.

With my developer hat on, if I’d seen a comment like that from somebody, however obnoxious, even somebody who swore never to use my product again, I’d still want to know what my s/w was lacking. Even if it turned out to be a PEBKAC error, maybe the UI and/or documentation could be improved. Instead, the response was “I’m not quite sure why I should remotely care what editor you choose to use?”

So, both sides at fault. With a happy resolution. I’m never going to use P2 again and Richard doesn’t care which editor I use. Both of us are happy. Ecstatic, even. I will continue to be critical of Flash (when and where appropriate) but I will not criticise P2. If somebody asks about alternative editors I might suggest JOSM (although I hate Java, both as a language and as a run-time) or Merkaartor (no package for my distro and too many dependencies that I’d have to install before it will compile) or Vespucci on Android, even though I’ve not tried any of them. In fact I’d suggest any other editor I’ve heard of, because one of them might be well-suited to what the person wants to do. However, I will never recommend or even suggest the use of P2 to anyone under any circumstances, and that is a direct consequence of this thread. Fault me on that decision if you wish, but it’s not going to change.

No Brian - only one side is at fault here, and that’s you. Tordanik summed it up excellently above. A community like OSM works if people respect each other and treat each other in a civil manner. Your “A few thoughts” message is entirely offtopic in this thread and adds no value here.

(back on topic)

That could be a number of things, and what it is might depend on the OS your using (for example this morning I ran into https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/63197/josm-not-launching-on-xubuntu-error-no-valid-jvm-found-to-run-josm *). Chances are that whatever the problem was someone’s seen it before and a search of this forum or https://help.openstreetmap.org will fnd it (or ask a new question)

• somewhat ironic, given the thread above - the latest JOSM from the JOSM site doesn’t run on the latest version of Ubuntu, through no fault of the JOSM developers, but Potlatch 1 and 2 both do. Just a bit of a cockup at Ubuntu that I’m sure will be fixed very shortly.

Getting back to the original topic, can anyone comment on how this could be represented ?

At a nearby school, there are two restrictions:

• a 400m school zone signed as “25 km/h when children are present”

• an emu crossing with red and white poles “within” the school zone that is only operational when special flags are attached to the poles.

(Note: when in operation the speed of the emu crossing is also 25 km/h when children are present like the school zone itself, however cars must stop for crossing pedestrian i.e pedestrians have right of way over all other vehicles when the flags are up)

I will try to get a photo

Thanks in advance,

• jd

Why don’t you create a new post?