Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Yep I do not want to tag for the renderer :wink:

Hence my questions and doubts.

I tagged it demolished:bridge=yes and dismantled. I will try in a couple of days to render a small map of that area to see the changes.

This rail thing is rather convoluted to be honest.

I’d say some better definitions are in dire need. There are too many ppl to vested in historical rail lines and I do think that rail lines have impacted surroundings more profoundly then for instance roads. So there is a need to have this info still in the openstreetmap database.

I’d really say look at what’s there and what words mean. But the discussion seems to be more about feelings :wink:

disused means to me not used or planned to be used in the foreseeable future. This also means no maintenance plans for that line. ownership of the land preferable still in the hands of an entity that is or has operated rail transport or maybe the state/country

abandoned, ownership is not in the hand of an entity that is or has operated rail transport. There needs to be some sort of rail identifying marks left, for instance at least ! every kilometer a railroad tie, rails, train signals,etc. Also specific rail support buildings, loading docks, stations, etc. You should be able to use this for navigation.

dismantled, most identifying marks have been removed. for instance an embankment can be used for other things so that would not be an identifying mark. And the identifying marks are few and far apart, more then 2 km for instance. Barely to not usable for navigation.

historic, almost impossible to see that there was a rail line in the past, not usable for navigation.

Something like this would make it also easier for renderers to decide what to render and what not.

I Agree, but this discussion should be held in other topics. To be on-topic, abandoned railways are only rendered in the generic map (default mkgmap style) as path:

railway=abandoned [0x0a road_class=0 road_speed=1 resolution 22]

The generic new style does not even render those lines, unless it is accompanied by highway=* (for instance when such line is converted into a cycleway or footway). Both maps do not render dismantled or historic.

My mistake if we are not talking about the same thing here.

The lines and bridge were rendered in openfietsmap lite, if it is the wrong place to discuss this here I am sorry.
I hope I mentioned that somewhere before, … I did not… ;( I just said the garmin map renders the line.
If they would have not been rendered I would have not been here :wink: Although over the years I have popped up in this topic just because I was curious if something new was happening.

I am happy to hear generic new style does not render them for I use those maps for driving :wink: . Personally I would say that also the generic style should not render the abandoned lines, but I am not affected by that and let the designers of the style make the decision.
[edit] oeps, Now I fell into my own trap … abandoned was still usable for navigation in my definition… :roll_eyes: :rage: :laughing: :laughing:
once again tricky business defining what to include and what not [/edit]

And just to make sure I am understood correctly.

**I love what you guys have done and are still doing, I am just trying to do my little part **

Not being able to adjust a map if you spot something wrong or question about a place is not something I enjoy.
So openstreetmaps with a garmin or an android with osmand is a really nice thing to have for the last 8 years now. Especially since I bought my oregon 300 and euro citynav map in 2007.
The drive was interesting in central america in 2009 with the garmin openstreetmaps. And the current level of detail is just amazing.

if I think something could be improved upon I mention it and sometimes it means I did not understand something correctly. I did start my post stating that I am not sure if this was a rendering or data issue.
And I did edit the data to reflect a “correcter” world view in the OSM data.

Here you can find the OFM style
Abandoned railways are rendered (not routable though) as well as bridge=* (only if it is accompanied by a highway=* or railway=* tag).
So, in the new situation with demolished:bridge=yes and railway=dismantled it will not be visible anymore.

Greetings. A big thank-you for these maps, I’ve been using them successfully for years.

I would like to create a single Garmin img map made from tiles along a single 4000km route (for a race). I presume this is possible using all the tools in the OSM toolchain. I am worried that trying to do it myself would be too difficult and I would find out mid-race that I had done something wrong.

My question: is it possible to replicate the exact script used by garmin.openstreetmap.nl (same software versions, same command line options, same style files, etc.) while just changing the input tiles or “input polygon” or whatever the correct input format is?

Thanks!

I see no need to create the tiles on your own. When you enable “manual tile selecion” you can chose the tiles along your route and they are
combined to one map for you.

Gerd

Well, I was hoping to squeeze the map onto my Edge 520 which only has about 50Mb available for maps. The only way to do this would be to make the tiles along the route only a few square kms each. The default tiles offered by garmin.openstreetmap.nl are far too big.

In that case you’ll have to generate your own map with http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/
It has a steep learning curve but it is possible to do this (well, 50 mb for 4000 km long route…I doubt if it will fit).

Maybe you can check out these maps, compiled for the Garmin Fenix watches, they are much smaller:
http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/maps-garmin-fenix

Ok, I will try.

This is why I asked if I could copy the method used by garmin.openstreetmap.nl, so I didn’t have to learn it all myself.

Yes, one probably will not. But maybe I can make two or three maps that I can swap in/out, rather than 10 or 20.

I think this map service is exactly what you are looking for:
https://extract.bbbike.org/extract.html

You can draw a custom polygon and request a Garmin map for that area:

I hope I’m posting in the correct place. I’ve searched around the site and haven’t found my answer.

I have downloaded a file called openfietsmap_lite_gmappsupp.zip. When I try to unzip it, it creates a file called openfietsmap_lite_gmappsupp.zip.cpgz. If I attempt to unzip that file it creates a copy of openfietsmap_lite_gmappsupp.zip.

I’m on an up to date Macbook Pro

What am I doing wrong?

That’s a quirky thing to happen and I found this explanation.
http://osxdaily.com/2013/02/13/open-zip-cpgz-file/

nevw - thank you. I downloaded using a different browser and was successful (Safari worked, Firefox did not).

I now have the map on my Edge Touring and it shows up as “Enabled” but the map does not display.

Any ideas?

Make sure no other maps are enabled except for the basemap.
And you can check for errors with Javawa Device Manager.

Thanks ligfietser.

I did disable the other map that is on there. At present the Basemap is enabled and the freshly downloaded map is enabled.

I’ve run it through JaVaWa. It does not show any problems but when I go to “Manage Maps” the maps are displayed but if I click on one a message is displayed “Out of Bounds Exception”.

I have also called Garmin support but they will not help me because the OSM map was not purchased from Garmin.

I’m about to leave on my trip. If anyone can help, please do.

Now I can see the UK map. I disabled basemap, then enabled basemap, disabled my UK map, enabled my UK map. It would seem I didn’t do anything other than flip disable/enamble switches but it did the trick.

garmin.openstreetmap.nl sends no email when requesting my own map

After creating my own map with http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl I get a new window with the message, that I will receive 2 mails with the links to the status an the download adress of the map. But now I did not receive any email, like in former times. Of course my account is correct and ready to receive emails.

I just tried it and got both emails as usual. Did you check the junk mail folder?

Yes, of course. I’m not a beginner. I get my maps in this way since some years.
I tried it yesterday in the evening, today in the early morning and some minutes ago, I tried 2 browsers Firefox and Chromium (both on Ubuntu), and I tried 2 different emails on different domains. Just like all the times before.