Is there a way to use OsmAnd+ without making phone very hot?

I use OsmAnd+ for many years and love it for a large number of options. Unfortunately, even such large option set does not allow to simplify map display/rendering so that prevent the phone from getting very hot while driving in cities. The map is always much more detailed and rendered much more smoothly than really needed, and continuous rendering consumes very much CPU power (now I use 6-core Xiaomi RN3P phone).

Maybe there are some internal settings, like Windows registry parameters, to simplify map rendering as much as possible?

Do you also have a hot device when using other OSM based navigation apps?

With MAPS.ME and MapFactor, the phone never gets hot. Just warm or even cold. With Google/Yandex Maps, remains warm/cold too.

I don’t use A-GPS, just GPS receiver (“device only” mode).

I tested MAPS.ME, MapFactor and OsmAnd+ on Paris map. No routing/navigation, just sliding and resizing the map. All in 2D view. Battery level 95-100%.

• MAPS.ME: very smooth and fast rendering, no unnecessary details. 20-30% CPU load, 200-500 mA consumption.

• MapFactor: slower rendering, more details. 30-50% CPU load, 400-700 mA consumption.

• OsmAnd+: incredibly slow and ugly rendering, even in Topo mode and not more detailed than MAPS.ME. 30-70% CPU load, 500-1200 mA consumption.

Power consumption itself is not a problem because I always connect charger in the car. The problem is very high phone temperature maintained for hours. It is very harmful for the battery, and after several months of regular usage, a new battery starts inflating. It is a dangerous state, inflated battery may burn or explode suddenly.

So OsmAnd definitely needs more options to control map rendering and/or details to speed-up map rendering and reduce CPU usage.

Locus Map is very efficient on battery, and I never notice the phone warming up. (I use it with offline vector maps, which would be somewhat CPU intensive for rendering.) Even when recording a track or navigating, the phone stays cool and battery goes down slowly.

It’s a brilliant navigation app; I can’t figure out why nobody here ever seems to mention it. (Is it because it costs a small amount?)

Thank you for the suggestion but Locus Map is primarily intended for hiking. I need a navigation software primarily for driving, proper voice guidance is very important.

It does routing with voice, even offline. That’s in conjunction with BRouter (separate app, offline), or a choice of three online services. I’ve even paired it up with an especially-pleasing-to-the-ear voice for directions. Component software is cool. :sunglasses: