OpenStreetMap Forum

The Free Wiki World Map

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-28 14:33:33

Bernhard Hiller

Editing the imported data

Meanwhile some of use have edited some of the imported data, i.e. changed some tags or added other tags, combined roads, removed unnecessary nodes, ...
How do you deal with such edited data? I mean: how do you mark them as edited?
Of course, the history will show that some other mapper did some change, and the last author is not a member of the facebook team.
But what about the "import=yes" tag?
I generally remove it after editing. I remove it also when I found that nothing requires editing. Thus I want to say that the road is OK, and meets typical OSM standards.
This allows me to highlight the still non-edited ways in my map (because they still have that tag), improving route planning.
What are your ideas?

#2 2018-01-28 23:50:26

AlaskaDave
Website

Re: Editing the imported data

I have generally left the tag in place unless I've modified the object myself. That said, I don't have an objection to removing it if the way looks correctly mapped. I don't anticipate a mass removal or revert so I don't think it makes much difference whether we leave the import=yes tag either.

#3 2018-02-01 07:20:25

Russ McD

I do think that Bernhard has a good idea in that if the way is checked, and revised by a mapper, then technically it is no longer imported, and in that case the import=yes tag should be removed.
I usually update the source tag too, although in many cases it remains as "digital globe", although I do add a GPS tag if I have also been along the way.
I will continue do this in the future as it may become a useful method to see whats been checked and what remains.

#4 2018-02-11 20:14:29

stephankn

In case you plan on doing a systematic review I can offer to look into installing the "tasking manager".

This would allow you to mark areas as "reviewed" avoiding double work.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Tasking_Manager

#5 2018-02-12 19:44:28

Bernhard Hiller

Thanks for that offer, Stephan. I do not plan a systematic review. While I worked on the data collected during December, I did look at many ways nearby and edited them - correcting also other wrong data (e.g. layer=-1 on rivers...). That "project" is finished now, and I'll edit much less in near future.
The overpass query shown in https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtop … 36#p684236 can provide a good starting point for someone trying to review the imported data.

Board footer