OpenStreetMap Forum

The Free Wiki World Map

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A fix has been applied to the login system for the forums - if you have trouble logging in please contact support@openstreetmap.org with both your forum username and your OpenStreetMap username so we can make sure your accounts are properly linked.

#101 2018-01-12 13:26:09

The Duke of Waltham

Re: Road Classification System (talk & poll)

nikospag wrote:

Ha ha ha ! that was funny. I am wondering where the hell did they find the number 13 !!!!.
Nevertheless i will try to inform them about their mistake, thanks for sharing this.

Edit: Egnatia Odos has been notified. (including your Google photo).

I'll wager a guess and say someone didn't look well at the map and thought 13 continued through Katerini to Alexandria. It doesn't make much more sense than the alternatives, but there you have it.

Thank you for your trouble. I wonder how long it will take them to fix the signs; I imagine they'll just paste something on them, for the time being at least.

#102 2018-01-13 01:38:44

nikospag
Website

I imagine they'll just paste something on them, for the time being at least.

Probably.

I'll wager a guess and say someone didn't look well at the map and thought 13 continued through Katerini to Alexandria.

That's an excuse for amateurs and not for professional road constructors. Anyway i hope they will fix this soon and properly.

PS. We are off topic. Sorry for that guys.

Last edited by nikospag (2018-01-13 01:56:32)

#103 2018-01-13 15:35:29

ika-chan!

Hi all, I’ve taken time off the road classification debate for personal reasons (instead I am adding missing roads from Bing/DigitalGlobe imagery), but I think that one of the reasons the debate appears to lose sense of direction is because we may be trying to compromise too much in terms of whether a road is this or that on the basis of the road condition.

I think that we should not be making enemies with "lanes=*", "surface=*" and "smoothness=*" when deciding on classification of the roads. By using these keys to describe the real condition of the roads, I feel that the development of the road classification policy for the mainland will be a lot simpler and a lot less heated.

Last edited by ika-chan! (2018-01-13 15:37:20)

#104 2018-01-14 01:53:42

nikospag
Website

ika-chan! wrote:

to lose sense of direction is because we may be trying to compromise too much in terms of whether a road is this or that on the basis of the road condition.

I don't think that we classify roads on the basis of the road condition, but on the basis of legal documents.

ika-chan! wrote:

I think that we should not be making enemies with "lanes=*", "surface=*" and "smoothness=*" when deciding on classification of the roads. By using these keys to describe the real condition of the roads, I feel that the development of the road classification policy for the mainland will be a lot simpler and a lot less heated.

We use these tags, as our wiki mentions that. - https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wik … twork#Ways.
But this doesn't solve the classification problem in Greece (eg. what roads should be trunk roads).

#105 2018-01-14 08:56:17

ika-chan!

Looking back, I think that the classification problem is the worst I have ever seen: however, I think I can support the idea all villages should be served by at least a tertiary road for navigational reasons. lanes=*, surface=* and smoothness=* should handle the real condition of the road.

In respect of JayCBR, my main concern at present is that the user does not leave changeset comments, which left me confused as to what kind of system the user was trying to implement. (Source: https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/JayCBR/history)

#106 Today 12:50:40

nikospag
Website

ika-chan! wrote:

In respect of JayCBR, my main concern at present is that the user does not leave changeset comments, which left me confused as to what kind of system the user was trying to implement.

I agree. Editing without comments is a bad practice and shows disrespect for other editors. Comments are very-very important.
As for the "all villages should be served by at least a tertiary road for navigational reasons", i think this is already a fact for most, if not all, villages in Greece.

I want to add something about National Roads Registry of 1998.
Three days now i am digging through documents published on the Official Government Gazette and other documents from various Municipalities published on the web. I haven't found, not even one, that mentions National Roads Registry of 1998 .

I guess that is because this document has not been published on the Official Government Gazette, and that makes it a low value document, even if it is a fully legal and official document. Therefore i strongly recommend that we must treat it accordingly, and keep it low in our list of sources for roads classification, or not to keep it at all.

Board footer