OpenStreetMap Forum

The Free Wiki World Map

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-11 20:01:33

grigorryev

Best way to use OSM in mobile app

Hi,

I'm going to create a mobile app with OSM integration. It has some specific requirements, so I'm looking for the best solution.

Application will use maps only in offline mode. Moreover, it will need only a few (20-30) locations, size of the big city each (but it must support having these locations simultaneously on one device with no size limitation, e.g. as MAPS.ME does). It also going to be a commercial app, users will pay for content (not for maps themselves).

The end goal is to match these requirements along with all possible license conditions for the lowest price possible.

As I understand, I need to get rendered tiles for chosen regions somewhere, and an SDK to handle them on a device. Is it right that I can take Mapbox Mobile SDK and buy OpenTileMaps tiles for my regions (here:https://openmaptiles.com/extracts/), compose them in my app like in this example: https://openmaptiles.org/docs/mobile/mobile/ and use them without paying any additional fees? If No, could you please recommend me something?

Thank you!

#2 2018-01-11 21:25:40

Viajero Perdido

Re: Best way to use OSM in mobile app

Have you looked at MapsForge?  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapsforge

Rather than messing with tiles - which explode in size requirement dramatically as you increase zoom level - you might like the space efficiency of the vector format that MapsForge offers.

I can't say more, as I have no direct experience with it except as a user.

#3 2018-01-12 10:21:55

grigorryev

Viajero Perdido wrote:

Have you looked at MapsForge?  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapsforge

Rather than messing with tiles - which explode in size requirement dramatically as you increase zoom level - you might like the space efficiency of the vector format that MapsForge offers.

I can't say more, as I have no direct experience with it except as a user.

Thank you! As I see, MapsForge is Android-only, but iOS support is also crucial for me. Don't you know any cross-platform solutions?

#4 2018-01-12 18:30:15

alester

grigorryev wrote:

As I see, MapsForge is Android-only, but iOS support is also crucial for me. Don't you know any cross-platform solutions?

From the Mapsforge wiki article:

Platforms:  Android, Windows, macOS, and Linux

There's even an app listed near the bottom that is using Mapsforge on iOS.

#5 2018-01-13 12:00:36

grigorryev

alester wrote:

There's even an app listed near the bottom that is using Mapsforge on iOS.

Well, the only app is Vectorial Map, and it looks like they have implemented custom rendering engine. Not an easy way at all.
Speaking about "Android-only" I meant mobile platforms of course.

The best solution I've found after few days of research is getyourmap.com project. Their maps are paid, but much cheaper then Mapbox and Carto, and optimized for offline usage.

If somebody knows something better, please tell me.
Thank you, guys smile

#6 2018-01-13 15:03:21

vvoovv

Source code of maps.me and osmand is available at github.com

#7 2018-08-06 10:28:45

R0bst3r

Yes, because the forum is only one part of OpenStreetMap for discussions and no market place. So it's obviously the wrong place to download apps.

Maybe you have access to google or apple app stores? Then you can search for "osm" and you'll find a lot of apps using our data. Shouldn't be so hard to do?

OSM has no official app nor commercial services, we offer just the data.

Board footer