Buildings with hole using ID

Maybe this question has been asked before, but I would appreciate if someone can tell me how to map a building with a “hole” in using ID editor.

1 Like

You then have to draw a multipolygonrelation; I don’t know if that’s possible in iD.

Use JOSM instead

Draw the building with the ‘Area’ tool and tag it as you usually would.

Use the ‘Area’ tool to draw the hole.

Shift-click to select both areas at the same time.

Right-click (control-click if you’re on a Mac) and select ‘Merge’.

Job done.

Friendly suggestion: if you don’t know, maybe wait until someone who does know can answer.

2 Likes

Stumbled upon this message, thanks, but I don’t know maybe it’s because it is 6 years old, but it doesn’t work exactly like that anymore: you need to draw a building as an Area, but hole countour - as a line, and then merge.

If you add two Areas like in the message - there will be two merged building areas, no hole in bigger one.

area merging works for me (EDIT: in real mapping you also need to remove superflous area=yes tag on inner - or start from using line to avoid that)

Peek 2023-12-18 10-45

These things, and it’s sometimes a stretch, are called courtyard or cortile. You’ll find them tagged as man_made=courtyard, man_made same as waterworks and works it had to have a lable in the system. A proper one a more spacious like

At any rate, Osmose has not found it in their hearts yet to give it a minimum measure, but there’s on the www a piece of text saying

" What is the standard size of a courtyard?

Ansari Architects, Interior Designers, Chennai

Typically, interior courtyards can be accommodated in houses sized 3,500 sq ft and above. An 8x8 ft or 10x10ft space can be set apart for the courtyard.",

Kind of like 7-10m2 which is pretty small.

man_made=courtyard would be made (if actually needed…) in addition to proper multipolygon (or other proper mapping of building shapes).

1 Like

historically, in Berlin in the late 19th century, the minimum size for the courtyard of an appartment building was 5x5m (first minimum size requirement in Berlin), which is clearly insuffient to bring in enough air and light for a building with a height of 22m + roof, but it was the requirement from the fire department water pumps in order to move and turn.

Indeed it does – the only difference from merging with a closed line is that it will leave a superfluous (but harmless) area=yes to the courtyard.

1 Like

Is that really superfluous?
I think both variants can be correct, depending on what the “hole” in the building is supposed to express.

For example, you can use the area to describe the surface in this inner courtyard in more detail …

if it is area=yes without further tags - then it is superfluous and pointless