OpenStreetMap Forum

The Free Wiki World Map

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A fix has been applied to the login system for the forums - if you have trouble logging in please contact support@openstreetmap.org with both your forum username and your OpenStreetMap username so we can make sure your accounts are properly linked.

#1 2017-11-12 22:40:06

silver mapper

Failure to open MapInfo .tab file in JOSM

Having selected "MapInfo files" in JOSM to open a .tab file of polylines, I am presented with an error message containing "No valid coordinates have been found."  I wondered if this is because the file is in British National Grid.  I saved that file in WGS 84 projection but receive the same error message when trying to open it.

Last edited by silver mapper (2017-11-12 22:44:41)

#2 2017-11-13 20:04:29

stephan75

Re: Failure to open MapInfo .tab file in JOSM

Is it a known feature of JOSM to load and display that data in its file format?

#3 2017-11-13 21:50:16

SK53

Support for MapInfo formats from OSGeo is rather patchy. When I've used them I've either uploaded them to a database or saved them as shapefiles. You can use QGIS to do this: I presume it is Oxon footpaths which interest you.

Alternatively I could send you a friendlier version if you message me via OSM (I may need a bit of time if my data is not same as latest version on rowmaps).

Jerry

#4 2017-11-14 09:53:20

silver mapper

Stephan
I asked a question about opening .kml files in JOSM recently.  n76 provided the answer: to install the OpenData plug-in.  I think it was looking at "More info..." while doing it and the resulting https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOS … s/OpenData page that I discovered I should be able to open MapInfo .tab files.
Jerry
I am able to save .tab files as .kml in QGIS and open them in JOSM, which is excellent as they retain the data's attributes completely, for me to view.  I felt, simply, it would save that stage if I was able to open the .tab files directly.  There seems to be no clue in the website above as to why it should not work, which is why I asked the question in the forum.

Later:
Oh, dear! Advanced years are beginning to take their toll: my next step was to add a comment in the talk pages.  I see here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index. … on=history I did that very thing on 27th January 2016!  Time to move on, accepting the .kml route, I think.

Last edited by silver mapper (2017-11-14 12:13:00)

Board footer