How to collect data

How do you get data for OSM?

How do you all work to collect data, and what type of data do you collect. The basic OSM way would be to just go around with a bike and then fill roads everywhere you know there are “real roads”, this is easy. But you want nice maps such as these, and to do that you need to collect “metadata”.

I do it as follows;1. bike around (usually nore than two hours)
2. record sounds with my cell phone
3. create the streets with JOSM
4. listen to all the recorded pieces and translating that to text (in batch)
5. try to match the audio snippets to places on the map

I collect the following data:1. name
2. type (if it’s a bike path or not)

I would like to collect

1. Streetnumbers but I have no good way of doing it.

I only got the chance to try some urban area the other week in middlesbrough UK, and I rode round on bike with pen and paper… but due to some extreamly unsafe areas some spots i coulnt get down.

For some of the very tightley packed terraced areas i drew up scribbles for reference later, cuase week signal made some things slightly unclear.

In watching the JOSM tutorials yesterday, it was saying that you can take photos of the streets and then load the images, and place minithumbnails around the map relative to the time they were taken at. Im yet to try this out, but it looks extreamly helpful.

josm-rawgpstracks.ogg was the one that said about it.

I get just take my TomTom Bluetooth GPS, and the data is collected by a Palm LifeDrive, with cotogps. I then take photographs of interesting features.

So do you save the photos for other users to see? Do you think we should upload the phtos as well?

Well, they are only usually road signs. But I can upload interesting ones if they are good enough to Wikimedia commons, for instance the Erskine Bridge.

Along similar lines to the initial question. What would peoples ideal way of collecting information be… i.e. by self, in small groups, in large herd… on bike, in car, on skateboard, on uni cycle, towns countryside etc etc…

Ideally i like riding around, preferably with large downhills, in groups of 3-4 covering many miles probly for quite long time… ideally getting to distant goals. Most fun ive had just exploring stuff was in the yorkshire moors cruizing old railway lines in the middle of the night with freinds.

Wow that sounds like fun, but how do you keep your friends from choking on the intricacies of mapping with GPS… :wink: Though meeting up with alot of people to map an area sounds like fun, but I believe it would require interest in mapping and a GPS for it to be any fun.

Funny I’ve actually learned how to unicycle to try to use it as a mobilebike, to bring along on a train and do some mapping at each subwaystation. I fell quite alot trying to learn how to bike… :wink:

I find that if you do long distances (60-75miles) then people are all for pauses, and you can scribble up notes and take reference photos then. Sadly i did a lot of the routes before i got my Gps…

Ive got a unicycle as well…Ive had it quite a while, but i find that distances more than half a mile tend to get kinda painful…!

I think for a lot of people to have fun mapping up an area, the routes need to be carefully pre planned so people dont just do loads of tiny zig zags and circles each, but instead overlap each other, and progress over a largish area. The only proplem with preplanning, is using what map?

It’s not really an issue, just use a map, just don’t refer to it when you are editing your map. I remember in the Isle of Wight trip, somebody brought a OS map, but was told to put it away promptly. I personally think it’s alright to plan with them.

I do still have maps just to get around, but dont refernce them at all when mapping the data later… my Gps obviously has its own maps on there as well.

Thats crazy you went to the Isle of Wight trip, since you live in Glasgow. I thourght it was miles from me so didnt go, and it was a fraction of the distance.

No, I didn’t go. But I could have, but it is a long distance.