OpenStreetMap Forum

The Free Wiki World Map

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A fix has been applied to the login system for the forums - if you have trouble logging in please contact support@openstreetmap.org with both your forum username and your OpenStreetMap username so we can make sure your accounts are properly linked.

#1 2017-05-14 19:05:35

Hedaja

Roads in National Parks/State Parks

Hello
I'm just back from my USA road trip and slowly trying to add new OSM stuff now. One question I came up on was whether we tag roads within the parks as toll roads.
You usually have to pay a fee to enter by vehicle so in this sense it would be a toll road.
What do you guys think?

Christian

#2 2017-09-21 19:23:24

g246020

Re: Roads in National Parks/State Parks

The precedence I've seen for national and state parks with fee:
* Mark ranger stations that collect admission fee as toll booth;
Example: http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/878275947

If you are up for it, mark park with tags:
  fee=yes
  charge=admission description
This is not done frequently, I could not find this tag in few parks I know of.

If a state park really only requires to pay for parking, cost info could also go into parking lots, but for parks with many parking lots that seems like a lot of work for few will appreciate (Yellowstone has too many lots to count).

I like your proposal because it will support routing request to avoid toll roads.
What tag would you use to mark those roads?
I don't know if "access=customers" would mess with navigation.

Last edited by g246020 (2017-09-21 19:24:28)

#3 2017-09-21 19:30:54

Hedaja

Re: Roads in National Parks/State Parks

There is a tag for toll roads (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:toll). I think I'll do it this way. Oftentimes the park itself didn't have an entrance fee if you walked in so a toll seems better than a general fee at the park.
In Germany we have to put fee=yes/no on every parking space because we like to charge you for everything here. big_smile:D
I don't think it's necessary to put the exact amount in as it's changing too often.

Board footer