Highway classification

As I said, the first examples that come to mind is Highway 23:
https://maps.google.com/?ll=32.789133,35.008492&spn=0.00671,0.027874&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=32.789134,35.008483&panoid=KLdbYr0fgHgGbRX9g0E8DQ&cbp=11,63.57,0,-3.98

The road signs don’t seem to actually say 23 anywhere, but all the signs pointing to it are blue.

Hi All,
recently (5 months ago :slight_smile: ) user WillRock41 changed part of Ayalon highway from motorway to trunk (changeset 36488477)

reason was: there are no motorway signs between Moshe Dayan interchange to Heil HaShiryon interchange

Invited him here to discuss.
What do you think?

I think that roads that are not built to be motorways should not be marked as motorways.
Few weeks ago, I spoke with Ayalon highways and they said that they would upgrade ayalon north between Moshe Dayan interchange to Heil HaShiryon interchange to motorway in the close future

I don’t see any difference between south and north parts of Ayalon, and I’m not a civil engineer. The only problem I see is the conflict between our internally agreed definition for main roads and your change. See He:Map Features for details.

You can ask Ayalon highways about the differences south and north parts of Ayalon North

“Ayalon highways” is welcome to join the community and explain how the highways are defined correctly and what mistake we did in mapping it. Currently we are very good with the definition in the road schema and most if not all mappers do know how to mark a way.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m really interested in a official statement!

Sorry if this was already discussed, but I just noticed that Highway 5 (in Gush Dan) was remapped as a trunk road (instead of motorway). I was under the impression that we were supposed to use the official classification, where 5 is clearly a motorway. Am I missing something?

EDITED FOR CLARITY (hopefully)

I find the recent reclassification as “trunk” of HWY 5

and parts of WHY 20 North (Ayalon),

as if they have red shields, very confusing. All road signs refer to them the same as other blue-shielded roads.

This reclassification is caused by interpretation of the “Maximum Speed limit” and “Description” columns as overriding the “Color” column.

Max-speed and access restrictions road signs are well represented by the corresponding OSM tags. Using speed or highway access road-signs for highway classification leads to such confusion.

###################
I propose that:

1. Shield color will be the only criteria for roads with shields: “motorway”, “trunk”, “primary”, “secondary”, and “tertiary”.

2. The “Maximum Speed limit” column be removed from the Wiki

3. The reference to the “highway” road-sign will be removed from the description of a Motorway.

4. The highway tag of shielded highways will be corrected accordingly.

###################

That sounds good, but I don’t really understand the images: where are they from, and are they authoritative? This looks like Amudanan.co.il which is not official.

The official government maps still classify Highway 5 as a blue highway (freeway).

That’s exactly my point. The criteria for setting a road as a “blue highway” are set by the government, not OSM members.

The fact is that the government may assign a blue color to a road without a “Freeway” sign, or even to a road with a reduced speed.

The maps, by the way, were taken from IsraelHiking.osm.org.il. They represent the live status of the OSM tagging.

Following this discussion, I changed Highway 5 to a motorway, but was surprised to find out that the change was reverted. Unfortunately I am not proficient in finding changes, reverting, etc. It appears that the change was made here, but I don’t understand how to know for sure:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/46236272#map=13/32.1117/34.8878

Was the change made here? If so, how can I revert? Should I message the user and alert them of this discussion? How are such procedures generally handled on OSM?

Messaging the user is the first step to resolve such a conflict. The general OSM guidelines are described in the wikis on disputes and vandalism

I prefer to use the “discussion” in the changeset’s page. Messages put here are sent as e-mail to the owner of the changeset and all participants. The discussion is also available for OSM if an agreement cannot be reached.

By the way, the tag history of a way can also be seen at http://osmlab.github.io/osm-deep-history. For example: http://osmlab.github.io/osm-deep-history/#/way/25015702

I have started a discussion with user WillRock41 in a previous changeset 38080259, but he stopped responding.

It’s been a while, no reply so far from WillRock41. What now? Is there an easy way to revert the changeset?

You are right.
I’ve set all segments west of Kesem interchange to highway=motorway.

There are rumors that Israel ministry of transport started rethinking and normalizing road classification! Finally!
One of articles about this (Hebrew)
Self explaining images from post:

Seems like someone changed the designations again, for Highway 1, Highway 2, Highway 7 and others. It should probably be reverted unless there is a good reason for this or that road. As far as I know they are all motorways, not counting temporary works (e.g. on Highway 2)

Could you post a request in the “changeset reverts” thread?

Guys, can somebody remind me if Ayalon hwy (20) is a trunk or a motorway?
its changes history looks like a war…

See for yourself the facts on the ground https://openstreetcam.org/map/@32.03984492761123,34.79782104492188,12z