StreetComplete Betatest

A short note here: I found a fatal bug which can create faulty commits under certain conditions, so I banned version 0.1 from uploading any changes. I will probably post another forum beta this weekend which will also have the performance problem solved.

Until then, you can continue to use the app, only you cannot upload your changes. (Your changes will still be saved though, so no worries)

Thanks to RicoElectrico for the idea for the “kill switch”.

I wasn’t testing the app, but

...str$: straße

would be wrong for Switzerland as the don’t have/use the “ß”.

0.2 is ready. Mostly bugfixes.

That’s an old version, look here for the newest:
https://github.com/westnordost/StreetComplete

I’m looking at building levels.

I get asked how many levels does this building have. For a two story home I answer 2. The next question asks “of these, levels in the roof.” I assumed this meant is there an attic bedroom. When I inspect OSM it appears to be about the number of roof levels.

Can it be set up to filter so only some questions are asked?

The second question is about language support. Does it support languages other than English?

Thanks John

If the building levels are set to 2 and the roof to 1 then both are set to 1 in OSM.

Cheerio John

Dumb question how do you switch language or does it pick it up from the system?

Would you like someone ie a native speaker to go over the string translations? if so bug me and I can probably sort out the resources for English and French.

Thanks John

Store hours first it doesn’t explain that if the hours are different on different days they should be entered the day first then the times.

The question says day which to me means which day is it open? Could just be a training issue.

Second for a strip mall the outline has an address or street number and the units have a street number which is the same as the outline but also a name.

If the store doesn’t have a name then I suggest it isn’t picked up for opening times.

Conversely a unit without a street number but within the outline does not ask for opening times. We need to document the need for a street number for the opening times question.

John

I think it needs a filter to restrict the quests presented.

John

@johnwhelan Making issues on the github page would be much better than posting them here.

https://github.com/westnordost/StreetComplete/issues

edit: ah ok I see, you already did so

Currently available are English, German, French and Italian. New languages can be added here.

Absolutely, the English ones are from me and I am not a native speaker, so some things may sound odd or not clear.

This building for example has 5 levels in total (inclusive roof) and of these, 3 in the roof. Is the wording not clear? I am not a native speaker, as said.

Not yet, but just about everyone who gave me feedback so far asked for that, so I guess this should move up on my priority list.

Why should it explain that? There is only one button you can press. Latest when the user clicked that, he should know what’s going on. I could perhaps change the wording of the button if you have a suggestion.

I don’t understand what you want to say here. These are the elements for which the opening hours quests are currently created:

nodes, ways, relations with ( shop and shop !~ no|vacant or 
                amenity ~ restaurant|cafe|ice_cream|fast_food|bar|pub|biergarten|food_court|cinema|nightclub| 
                          bank|atm|bureau_de_change|money_transfer|post_office|library|courthouse|embassy| 
                          car_wash|car_rental|marketplace|fuel|driving_school| 
                          dentist|doctors|clinic|pharmacy|veterinary or 
                amenity = bicycle_parking and bicycle_parking = building or 
                amenity = parking and parking = multi-storey or 
                amenity = recycling and recycling_type = centre or 
                tourism ~ zoo|aquarium|theme_park|gallery|museum or 
                tourism = information and information = office or 
                leisure ~ golf_course|water_park|miniature_golf|dance|bowling_alley|horse_riding 
                          sports_centre|fitness_centre|amusement_arcade|adult_gaming_centre|tanning_salon ) 
                and !opening_hours and name;

and a strip mall is tagged building=retail, shop=mall but of course whilst the individual units have opening hours the mall itself doesn’t. Training issue no big deal.

Just to add to the conversation. On the building:levels and roof if you’re looking at 3D models then what your approach makes sense. However planners and statisticians are very interested in the levels themselves. They can be used to provide population estimates if you have nothing better.

How many vaccines do we need? That depends on the population, how can we estimate it? Take the footprint of the building in square meters and we know roughly how many people live per square meter of building.

To refine it take out the non residential buildings.

A 20 story apartment building will have more residents than a single story one. so add in building:levels. Add in crowd sourcing with smartphones so a very clear simple interface works best. We’ve also found that with HOT mapping asking the mappers to map one type and only one type of object works best on a project. Hence the desire for a filter.

Once the basic data is in OpenStreetMap then you can trim out a district and use statistical toys such as R r.org to count all sorts of things and that’s where the interest lies.

Does that explain where the interest is coming from?

Cheerio John

Requirements vary for different projects.

Stats Canada have a crowdsourcing project to tag buildings the pilot is in Ottawa.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/eng/crowdsourcing as part of this they persuaded the City of Ottawa to release 300,000 building foot prints as Open Data which have now been imported into OSM. Stats would like these tagging. Many already have house numbers and other addr information. On the smartphone side it has to be very simple, roughly 300 volunteer mappers so far many more than OSM usually fields in Ottawa, and bilingual. Building usage and the number of levels are highly desired. Osmand can edit nodes but not building outlines. Streetcomplete can edit building outlines but the current mixing of roof and building levels is too complex for the volunteers without training and the risk of error on the levels is too high.

In Zambia one of the local governments is tagging buildings to help with the planning side. Construction material etc many volunteers first language is not English. Again the requirement is focused on one or two tags, simplicity, additional language support and they have intermittent Internet access. POSM might be attractive. Alternatively a timed connection at say 3 am to call home and pick up new tiles and quests might work well. 3 -7 am typically the internet access is reasonable.

If it works out then there are other local governments very interested in low cost planning of this type.

On the HOT side the NGOs typically want to tag buildings, again intermittent internet, and they have their own desires on tags but building types so they can filter out the nonresidential buildings is of interest.

Does that explain the “filter” side and Bjenk’s request on building types?

Cheerio John

Hmm, it is a bit hard to follow your deliberations.

Perhaps I can simply add an illustration to the quest type, so it’s more clear what is requested from the user. Discuss here.

It is possible to turn off automatic syncing and upload/download manually via the menu.

Yes. Both are reasonable feature requests, I added them to the issue tracker.

What is the minimum Android version this will run on?

Thanks John

Android 4.2 (API 17)

I would like to install this app on my windows 7 computer, but have been unable, so far. Can you give me a hint how to do it, please?
max

It is an Android app, it runs on a smartphone.

There are some implementations how to run android apk files on a windows or linux system via a virtual machine or similar.

Maybe http://www.android-x86.org/ is a good starting point.