You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-19 14:25:16

EdP

How should I map 'Divided Highways'

This is not a technical question, but rather one of convention.

How should divided highways be mapped? I am not really happy with either of the two obvious options.

a) Show as a 'normal' primary or secondary road, however this does not show the restrictions on crossing the painted divider except at the designated crossing points.

b) While a dual carriage way gives the correct restrictions a divided highway does not 'look' like a dual carriageway, and has problems with turnoffs on the 'wrong' side of the road. This does raise a corollory question.

c) How are such dual carriageway turnoffs handled?

Which approach is 'correct'. or is there another preferred option?

Thanks again for the invaluable help.

Ed

#2 2007-06-20 08:54:26

Lambertus
Administrator
Website

Re: How should I map 'Divided Highways'

The general consensus is that you draw a line for each separate physical feature. So if your highway is physically divided you draw two separate lines, otherwise just one.

On the subject of turnoff handling: there is much to be improved in OSM. There are some propositions on how to handle them, but no consensus has been achieved. Currently there is a big discussion on how to handle e.g. turnoffs better (and many other advanced relationships), so I think it's best to be patient and wait with implementing turn restrictions until a proper infrastructure is in place.

Mapping tools: Garmin GPSmap 60CSx, Giant Terrago 2002

#3 2007-07-01 19:21:08

romeoneverdies

so basicalay when i create a "way" i should draw 2 ways (one for each direction + the walkways ) ?

ps: oops .. or DOH! wink

Last edited by romeoneverdies (2007-07-01 19:21:38)

#4 2007-07-02 15:51:01

Lambertus
Administrator
Website

Looks like you've found the answer yourself already, but:

No, it's not necessary to map a walkway directly besides a way (it is assumed that pedestrians can walk on certain types of roads). If a walkway is separated from the way by e.g. a patch of grass you can choose to draw that walkway as highway=footway.

Mapping tools: Garmin GPSmap 60CSx, Giant Terrago 2002

Board footer